Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   UFO's in world history and the 21st century (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40090)

cagedbird 06.08.2010 07:57 PM

UFO's in world history and the 21st century

Kool things? Nothing special? Top secret hoaxes? Or collective fantasy?

pbradley 06.08.2010 10:24 PM

History Channel marathon.

Better_Than_Deux 06.08.2010 10:47 PM

Kool things.

SpaceCadetHayden 06.08.2010 11:09 PM

floatingslowly

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.08.2010 11:18 PM

fo' sho'

Count Mecha 06.09.2010 12:04 AM

Assholes.

Keeping It Simple 06.09.2010 06:15 AM

They exist!

Rob Instigator 06.09.2010 08:37 AM

unidentified things do exist

PAULYBEE2656 06.09.2010 08:42 AM

are we so up our own arses to believe we are the only "intelligent" lifeforms in the entire uni/multiverse???? are we so naive to believe that we are so advanced in communication skills that we are alone?????

alien lifeforms arent pumping out radio signals into the depths of space by the truckload every second........we are..... certianly i believe we are being monitored by someone and the fact we havent seen any yet to me is further speculation that we have encountered them in some form. who knows? they arent gonna be the stereotypical big head big eyed green skinny creatures..... they could be a life form completly unknown to us...shit they could be right here now posting as "rob instigator"!

hell they even have facebook accounts!!!! we are screwed!

nicfit 06.09.2010 08:55 AM

ploesj 06.09.2010 09:21 AM

a classmate of mine made an awesome little book about pioneer 10. he recreated an almost abstract interpretation of the travel in paper, filmed and photographed it. the teachers failed him because they think his work is too 'conceptual' for illustration class (he makes some wacky model drawings too).

everyone got kind of mad since his stuff is really good.

tesla69 06.09.2010 10:01 AM

Philip K Dick used to talk about indigenous intelligences that evolved past our perception.

tesla69 06.09.2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
alien lifeforms arent pumping out radio signals into the depths of space by the truckload every second.

radio waves are very inefficient - they are restricted to the 3rd dimension. If you were a galactic race, you would certainly have some kind of transdimensional communication ability.

I think asking the question 'Which came first: consciousness or capsule' is very helpful.

ploesj 06.09.2010 10:06 AM

when i was a kid i saw three very light round patches of light in the air and called for my mom. she said it were just kids shining torches on the clouds. i found this very strange because there weren't any clouds that night, and a few years later i realised that shining on a cloud with a torch isn't possible. my mother doesn't remember this event.

Rob Instigator 06.09.2010 10:09 AM

the sad and deeply scary realization that our Earth may indeed be the only planet in the entire galaxy that has the means to support life forms needs to be explored. If you truly study what caused life to occurr, and what myriad of things had to go just so, just right, for basic life forms to appear, one ould truly understand why people call life a miracle.

just a small sampling of the checklist needed to have Earth be what it is today.

a stable star around which to revolve
a stable planetary system where gravitational perturbations do not distort the Earth's stable orbit
a planetary system far removed from the center of our galaxy, where supermassive black holes, and periodic supernovas and star formation bathe everything in highly intense radiation, which is deadly to life
Large giant planets to attract and " clean up" the debris within the solar system. This allows the earth to develope without constant asteroid collissions.
the perfect distance from the star, where the rays warm the planet but are not powerful enough to strip the planet of it's atmosphere.
A large and stable sattelite/moon rotating arund the earth at such a perfect rate and speed that it balances out any small perturbations in the Earth's rotation, creating stability and semi-stable weather patterns. Hell, the lunar tides may have been the catalyst for the first actual cell formation as the waves crashed on shores throughout the planet.
an atmosphere composed of mostly nitrogen, which keeps the sun's lethal radiation from destroying life.
liquid oceans of water, which are extremely unlikely. If the Earth's temperature ever dips a few degrees too low or the earth moves just a bit too far from the sun all water would be ice, and life could not flourish. If the temperature gets a few degrees too high or the planet's orbit is just a bit too close to the star, then all the liquid water would be vaporized, and if the atmosphere is gone then the water would do what it did on Mars, which is to turn to rust as it reacts with the soils.

These are just a very minute criteria for a planet to have life like ours. very sall. this does not evn go into life itself.

frankly, the odds are most favorable that the Earth is the single planet in our galaxy of billions of stars that is capable of supporting life for what amounts to more than 3 BILLION YEARS.

I would find it preposterous to assume that this nearly unfthomable sequence of events can unfold regularly in our galaxy.
If anything, eafch galaxy out there may have but one planet around but one star system that can harbor life as the Earth can, allowing it to florusih and to create ever more complex and intelligent creatures.

if this is the case then we humans are ALONE, or as alone as can possibly be.

travel between stars is ridiculous. travel between ends of the galaxy is nearly unfathomable. Now, travel between the unimaginable recesses of deep space betrween galaxies? Nigh impossible to imagine.

we could very well be alone, and therefore we are responsible for caring for and propagating the seeds of life. I feel humans mission is to spread life, even bacterial or microorganism life, to any place we can. we may very well be the FIRST advanced civilization in the entire Universe, all hocuspocus bullshit aside. that is a very real possibility

ploesj 06.09.2010 10:11 AM

my mother told me a lot of crap to explain stuff she didn't know about.

Rob Instigator 06.09.2010 10:27 AM

that is parent's/adult's jobs. they make up endles crap to get the kids to shut up. I got wise to their bulshit early on.

ploesj 06.09.2010 10:35 AM

yeah, me too. 'daddy is sleeping in that other house because he doesn't llike the new bed'

oh come on.

ni'k 06.09.2010 10:39 AM

"god exists and we are not abusing you with these lies"

ploesj 06.09.2010 10:41 AM

"if you say ten hail mary's you'll fall asleep immediately." (grandmother)

"don't worry, there's a guardian angel watching over you so nothing will happen to you" (same grandmother, i fell out of a tree a week later, haha)