Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

youthoftomorrow 11.25.2006 03:32 AM

Moshe 11.25.2006 03:35 AM

Moshe 11.25.2006 03:39 AM

Jt 11.26.2006 04:48 PM

Collector's Choice recently re-issued this on CD. It's fucking incredible. I'd investigate Mass In F Minor, too, if you're interested in David Axelrod's beat-heavy sixties output.

Norma J 11.26.2006 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youthoftomorrow

Good stuff. Did you buy it from Dischord online? If so, that's great.

finding nobody 11.26.2006 06:46 PM

I got my Repeater LP from Dischord online. It came with a note also. The note said "Hi, Joel! Here are the Fugazi albums you ordered. Thanks!"

stenson 11.26.2006 06:51 PM

Norma J 11.26.2006 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody
I got my Repeater LP from Dischord online. It came with a note also. The note said "Hi, Joel! Here are the Fugazi albums you ordered. Thanks!"

Dischord is great. They charge US dollars for every country (not to mention their extremely cheap prices anyway) and deliver within a week.

Ps - Converge always have cool artwork.

youthoftomorrow 11.26.2006 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
Good stuff. Did you buy it from Dischord online? If so, that's great.

oh shit. i didn't even think to do that. i got it at Borders.

Norma J 11.26.2006 08:14 PM

How much did you pay?

k-krack 11.26.2006 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finding nobody

I love labels that do that. Constellation and Dischord are the only ones I am aware of, though.

k-krack 11.26.2006 08:23 PM

It's fucking disgusting, this indie store here, been here foryears, he's got lots of Dischord stuff, but he charges SO MUCH for it, and idiots still buy it, even though it's clearly marked on the packaging "8/10/12$pp! The Minor Threat discography: 12$pp, there it's TWENTY-ONE FUCKING DOLLARS!

Norma J 11.26.2006 08:28 PM

Yeah, I'm all for independance and abolishing the evil empires, but when the indendant stores charge just as much, if not more, than the corporations, then they're just as bad if not worse. Just saying "But we're independant" doesn't give them a right to rip you off. I think most of them lose the meaning of why they are independant... actually most of them are only independant only until the corporates ask them to play with them.

Dischord are very credible. I respect Ian Mackaye a great deal.

Onani Nic 11.26.2006 09:01 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I'm all for independance and abolishing the evil empires, but when the indendant stores charge just as much, if not more, than the corporations, then they're just as bad if not worse. Just saying "But we're independant" doesn't give them a right to rip you off. I think most of them lose the meaning of why they are independant... actually most of them are only independant only until the corporates ask them to play with them.

You know why independent stores are more expensive than say JB Hi Fi in Australia. Because the big stores have the power of purchasing in bulk. JB Hi Fi would get their CDs for half the price as your independent because they buy 100's of them.

Plus in the case of JB Hi Fi they put their prices down to begin with and spy on what the independents stock in order to try and put them out of business.

Their business tactic is to put everyone else out of business then put the prices up.

Sorry to sound like a wanker but I will never buy from major record stores as they don't really give a fuck about music.

youthoftomorrow 11.26.2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

How much did you pay?

$12

k-krack 11.26.2006 10:07 PM

Quote:

Word up, bro. There was another store here that sadly closed... the owner was a super awesome dude, he was into punk and hardcore and stuff. I bought a whole bunch of awesome stuff on his recommendation. (This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb being the stand-out)

Norma J 11.26.2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic
You know why independent stores are more expensive than say JB Hi Fi in Australia. Because the big stores have the power of purchasing in bulk. JB Hi Fi would get their CDs for half the price as your independent because they buy 100's of them.

Plus in the case of JB Hi Fi they put their prices down to begin with and spy on what the independents stock in order to try and put them out of business.

Their business tactic is to put everyone else out of business then put the prices up.

Sorry to sound like a wanker but I will never buy from major record stores as they don't really give a fuck about music.

Them independent stores could still put reasonable prices on their cds, but they don't because they want to make a more than reasonable profit. Which is fair enough, but the corporates want that too. Where as you get independent labels etc like Dischord who sell their albums for $10 when they could charge alot more than that and still sell albums, but they choose not to. Although, all this said, I was more referring to my town. We mainly only have independent secondhand stores here, and they buy cds for like $4 and sell them for $16 or so. When you can go to JB HIFI and buy it brand new for $18. Greed.

Edit - Oh and I over heard one of them stores in particular going on about how young people really don't like Tom Waits, and we just listen to him to look like artists as we drink cheap goon to help the facade. A fucken idiot is a fucken idiot whether independent or not. I'll always choose independents, but not if I'm going to be purposely taken for a ride / ripped off.

drrrtyboots 11.26.2006 10:48 PM

Bought a $3 cd from a band i saw last night. They're called Whoarfrost and were fucking fantastic live.

Bollocks_to_Pop 11.26.2006 11:01 PM

Magik Markers - Roadpussy. It's a really good release. The last track is hilarious in my mind.

khchris(original) 11.26.2006 11:45 PM