Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   let's talk about steve (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=17515)

suez 11.03.2007 01:11 PM

let's talk about steve

i know it's strange but... sometimes i think steve is too mediocre, i mean his work in sy. thurston, lee, kim are all looking for some more experimental sound but steve just seems to act someone out of them.

i don't know.

krastian 11.03.2007 01:16 PM

Steve rules all......remember that.

suez 11.03.2007 01:19 PM

you mean, he is drumer, so he controls the rhythm? or something else... tell me please

sonicl 11.03.2007 01:19 PM

Steve is the hidden star of Sonic Youth. The loveliest rock star in the world ever.

I wish he was my brother, or uncle or something.

andrei 11.03.2007 01:22 PM

I think Steve is not interested too much in improvised music, but you can't say it's too mediocre. He worked with lots of artists, he's running a record label and a venue in New Jersey. I really like him, seems to be a very friendly, nice guy and for sure is a great drummer.

EDIT: Does anybody know if Steve is married or have kids?

sonicl 11.03.2007 01:28 PM

^
When you think about it, bearing musical tastes in mind, it's amazing that Steve is in SY. I mean, yeah, he loves his Gang of Four, etc, but he also seems to love a lot of singer-songwriters, and you just don't expect that from the drummer in Sonic Youth.

suez 11.03.2007 01:36 PM

i think steve is out of most of sy fans' view

krastian 11.03.2007 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suez
you mean, he is drumer, so he controls the rhythm? or something else... tell me please

What I'm trying to say is that Steve Shelley is God.

(without Steve we are nothing)

Words fail when talking about Steve.

suez 11.03.2007 01:43 PM

ive never thoght of that steve is so great in your minds
hmm... i just have listent to sy for several months, so.

noisereductions 11.03.2007 01:44 PM

I think Steve is amazing. Pay attention to the drums on songs like "Pattern Recognition," or "Exressway." The shit's nuts.

And I mean, with Lee & Thurston experimenting, he's the one keeping the shit grounded. It's exactly what the band needs from a drummer.

Also, he pre-empted the Harry Potter fashion by like 10 years. Check out the insert from MADE IN USA... ha.

jennthebenn 11.03.2007 01:56 PM

amazing drummer--probably the only thing about sonic youth that can
be truly called "underrated" after 25 years is steve's drumming.

suez 11.03.2007 01:57 PM

ive ever compared steve with the drummer which was in sy in their early period (i dont remember his name). at that time i thought that drummer was special with his rhythm

noisereductions 11.03.2007 02:03 PM

Jim Sclavonos & Bob Bert were the two drummers prior to Steve.

suez 11.03.2007 02:05 PM

thx
so which of them played in confusion is sex?

jennthebenn 11.03.2007 02:07 PM

bob bert played on "making the nature scene" and "i wanna be your dog"; sclavunos did the rest.

suez 11.03.2007 02:11 PM

actually confusing...

Bal 11.03.2007 02:25 PM

dont forget about richard edson who played drums on the first ep.
if it comes to improv stuff i think steves drumming is a big part of those recordings... the way he plays on syr3 is unbelivable..
but not just that..
so im pretty sure hes into that sort of stuff.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.03.2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suez
i know it's strange but... sometimes i think steve is too mediocre, i mean his work in sy. thurston, lee, kim are all looking for some more experimental sound but steve just seems to act someone out of them.

i don't know.

you are wrong. there could be no sonic youth with out steve, just listen to sonic death to prove it. further, without steve to organize the chaos, there would just be annoying guitar noises all the time, no music to speak of.. just my opinion.

also, steve is the only genuinely kind hearted person in the whole group. For that reason alone, he gets my praise, for kindness is more important than skill.

the ikara cult 11.03.2007 02:33 PM

I saw one of the Roundhouse gigs, and if i could play that set 3 nights in a row at whatever his age is i'll be a happy man.

paaaaul 11.03.2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
you are wrong. there could be no sonic youth with out steve, just listen to sonic death to prove it. further, without steve to organize the chaos, there would just be annoying guitar noises all the time, no music to speak of.. just my opinion.

also, steve is the only genuinely kind hearted person in the whole group. For that reason alone, he gets my praise, for kindness is more important than skill.

1) There was Sonic Youth long before Steve Shelley joined the band
2) Steve Shelley doesn't appear on Sonic Death