Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   pink steam (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=809)

argylesox 04.11.2006 11:20 AM

pink steam

at the risk of seeming ignorant or clueless (i'm not that up on the literature world) but i noticed in my local bookstore a book called pink steam. paging through it it seemed pretty interesting. im guessing that the new sy song is based on reading it, seems like they like to do that.
anyone read it?

nico99 04.11.2006 01:51 PM

No, but just before "A Thousand Leaves" was released, I was in a used book store, and found a book called "Wilflowers", next to it was a book written by Heather Angel. I thought that was cool.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 04.11.2006 01:57 PM

its about pms

trance feeeedback 04.11.2006 03:17 PM

Pink Steam could be a referance to Velvet Underground's album: Loaded.

whorefrost 06.02.2015 05:02 PM

Upon reviewing Sonic Youth's late 00s back catalogue I've decided Pink Steam sounds like an ode to new-found love, anyone else get this impression?

woofwoof 06.03.2015 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
Upon reviewing Sonic Youth's late 00s back catalogue I've decided Pink Steam sounds like an ode to new-found love, anyone else get this impression?

Thurston could have taken all that time to reference Kim's mother... ahem.

Chris Lawrence 06.03.2015 11:54 AM

The title is definitely taken from the Dodie Bellamy book. Reading the lyrics now, I get the opposite vibe. But I was never very good at lyrical interpretation. (Though I've also noticed a few things upon reviewing SY's late 00s catalog...)

themawt71 06.03.2015 05:02 PM

in kim's book she mentions that during the rehearsals for the last set of shows thurston was listing songs that he didnt want to do and she realized they were about the other woman.

just read lyrics for pink stream and it definitely seems it could about eva.
wasnt flowers and cream the name of the poetry thing thurston and eva worked at?

woofwoof 06.04.2015 04:45 AM

"Sweet temptation came today
Time for angels to kneel and pray"

Chris Lawrence 06.04.2015 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themawt71
in kim's book she mentions that during the rehearsals for the last set of shows thurston was listing songs that he didnt want to do and she realized they were about the other woman.

just read lyrics for pink stream and it definitely seems it could about eva.
wasnt flowers and cream the name of the poetry thing thurston and eva worked at?

I didn't realize that. He's always fuckin' singing about flowers n cream, though. :p

Kim's comment is what piqued my interest, since I thought "she" would only affect songs on The Eternal, but I can think of two in particular (one on The Eternal, one on Rather Ripped) that sound like songs rejecting another person's advances.

Demolished Thoughts is a whole other story, of course...

Rob Instigator 06.04.2015 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
I didn't realize that. He's always fuckin' singing about flowers n cream, though. :p

"When do you think she will 'open up her flower' to you?"

whorefrost 06.05.2015 01:27 AM

No Way and Antenna are other songs that fall into this category of new-found meaning.

Chris Lawrence 06.05.2015 10:40 AM

"No Way" is one I was thinking of, "Lights Out" was the other.