Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   So i just found out (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9015)

screamingskull 12.15.2006 05:11 PM

So i just found out

So i just found out that i can't afford to go to the university i wanted to go to.

I got in.

finding nobody 12.15.2006 05:13 PM

Money is complete bullshit. Good luck finding another school.
My deepest sympathies.

!@#$%! 12.15.2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull
So i just found out that i can't afford to go to the university i wanted to go to.

I got in.

eh, you can manage-- loans & loans & loans!

no, not really, but there are ways.

gotta rAn but i soogest you call that skool & aX them how 2pei. they mite be of elp.

Rob Instigator 12.15.2006 05:14 PM

I am sorry to hear that . shit. can you get a work study or something?

screamingskull 12.15.2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I am sorry to hear that . shit. can you get a work study or something?

i dont think so, its really just thrown me, i dont really know how to handle it. Can't stop crying and being pathetic.

gmku 12.15.2006 05:17 PM

No loans or grants or anything? You wouldn't believe how many students just go to school on loans and work study and such.

(No, Clone-y, I don't want to get into it about the costs of education. I'm just saying...)

Savage Clone 12.15.2006 05:20 PM

I wasn't going to bring that up just to bring her down.
Jeez, I can tell when someone's genuinely upset.

gmku 12.15.2006 05:20 PM

My son was attending a very expensive private school. Absolutely no f-ing way I could send him just paying out of my own pocket. So I talked to the financial aid people, submitted the paperwork, and they split the cost, covering half with grants and qualifying us for loans for the rest. My son wasn't even that great a student in high school.

Sometimes schools will bend over backwards to help you, if they know you really want to enroll with them. They want your money, but there are ALL KINDS of ways for them to get that--not necessarily out of your own pocket.

Talk to them!

screamingskull 12.15.2006 05:22 PM

It would cost me $26,100.00 a year thats $104,400.00 at the end of 4 years. i would never be able to afford a house or even to have children.

Savage Clone 12.15.2006 05:23 PM

My mom was very resourceful in her college days. She even got a grant that was supposed to be dedicated to black women (my mom is white as can be), because it was just sitting there unclaimed and doing nothing, and the people could see she had both brains and genuine need. If you dig deep, there are an awful lot of resources available.

gmku 12.15.2006 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
wow..i read about yr sceheme on the news. you and yr son teamed up and gave some of the staff blowjobs (yr half of the payment) and they payed the rest.

didnt you choke on a pound of semen or something?

here I am trying to give someone (someone I admire a helluvalot more than I do you) advice that I think might help, and you do this crap. I guess this is the price we basically pay for freedom of expression in an unmonitored site, huh.

the ikara cult 12.15.2006 05:33 PM

Im guessing this is in the USA? You might be able to get them to let you defer and go next year. Meantime, work for a year and get ahead on yr studies, you can start ahead of everyone else, and its a great skill to learn, invaluable in my opinion. Having some kind of financial responsibility for a time really sets you up well too, My friend did just that - got into a course and deferred, then worked to amass funds for a year, and started this year in San Francisco.
So yes, ask them if you can defer entry.

gmku 12.15.2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

It would cost me $26,100.00 a year thats $104,400.00 at the end of 4 years. i would never be able to afford a house or even to have children.

But if the school can come up with grants and scholarships and cut back some of that? I never thought my son would qualify for that kind of thing, but he basically was given half the tuition through grants and scholarships.

All I'm saying is that if this is your dream school, you should investigate thoroughly with the school, all options, before giving up.

Savage Clone 12.15.2006 05:37 PM

OK, that was a sweet hijack and all, but really I think maybe a maximum of three threads to spread a fight across should be observed.

Especially when things started from some relatively innocent comments made with tongue in cheek...

I suppose this is why !@#$%! is so addicted to those goddamned smileys.

gmku 12.15.2006 05:38 PM

Sorry about the interruptions, Screamingskull, but seriously, check it out before giving up on it. It does suck that education is so damned expensive in the United States.

the ikara cult 12.15.2006 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Sorry about the interruptions, Screamingskull, but seriously, check it out before giving up on it. It does suck that education is so damned expensive in the United States.

Aye and yes ask the UK end too.

Savage Clone 12.15.2006 05:40 PM

Doesn't screamingskull live in the UK?

I do know that student loan payments can be deferred in the USA post-graduation if you work for a nonprofit. This was the case at one time, at least.

gmku 12.15.2006 05:43 PM

Oh, yeah, sorry, I forgot, SS. And I know nothing about the UK system, unfortunately.

Pookie 12.15.2006 05:44 PM

In the UK, loan repayments could always be deferred, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

I've been deferring mine for about 8 years now.

But when I went to university there were no course fees.

I really don't envy people going to Uni now. You're guaranteed to come out with massive debts, if you can afford to go in the first place at all.

Whatever happens screamingskull, I hope you get to do what you want in the end.

luxinterior 12.15.2006 05:45 PM

Quote:

I doubt that there is a single educational institution in this country whose services are worth $26,0000 a year. I have to ask, does that price cover the amount of alcohol you will inevitably consume while you're there? If so, I take back what I just said--this place sounds like a great deal.

Trasher02 12.15.2006 05:47 PM

Sounds awful screamingskull...

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 12.15.2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
eh, you can manage-- loans & loans & loans!

no, not really, but there are ways.

gotta rAn but i soogest you call that skool & aX them how 2pei. they mite be of elp.

BAD ADVICE.

I took that advice and I regretted it.

Phlegmscope 12.15.2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

$26,100.00 a year thats $104,400.00 at the end of 4 years.

Whoa, that's fucking shite. I have to be grateful for having a free post-secondary level education system here. That plus the monthly student support.
Thank you tax payers for taking care of the costs of my no good graphic design degree!

SynthethicalY 12.15.2006 08:04 PM

I am sorry to hear that screamingskull.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.15.2006 08:14 PM

sorry to hear that, you should ask about loans and all that kinda stuff

h8kurdt 12.16.2006 07:37 AM

So what, you'll have to pay back about £50,000? Bloody hell that's a fair bit.

That advice of taking a year out and saving up a lot (and being restrained in your monet spendature) could help a bit.

Suck's that your choice can't go through in the end *hug*

Danny Himself 12.16.2006 08:06 AM

Quote:

I got in.

Evergreen State?

I want to go there too. We must talk about applications and whatnot. I'm sorry for you though. Don't give up!

jon boy 12.16.2006 09:05 AM

which college is it? and it really is awful that you cant afford it. very sorry.

fishmonkey 12.16.2006 09:22 AM

shit, sorry to hear that mae, college fees are a fuckin joke really.

toxic johnny 12.16.2006 11:21 AM

Screamingskull... please try remember that you have plenty of time to study... you can even take more than a year out to drum up the funds. Granted you will probably lose your place but you can always re-apply... try not to pile too much pressure on yourself, this whole process should be joyful rather than some sword of Damocles baying for your blood.

You have time on your side...
Research all of your options and I'm sure that you will get what you want.

The best of luck to you.

Pookie 12.16.2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic johnny
Screamingskull... please try remember that you have plenty of time to study... you can even take more than a year out to drum up the funds. Granted you will probably lose your place but you can always re-apply... try not to pile too much pressure on yourself, this whole process should be joyful rather than some sword of Damocles baying for your blood.

The best of luck to you.

Wisest words on this thread so far.

screamingskull 12.16.2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Evergreen State?
I want to go there too. We must talk about applications and whatnot. I'm sorry for you though. Don't give up!

yeah, its evergreen. when are you going to apply to go?

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic johnny
The best of luck to you.

i might just take a year out and work full time save some cash, that might pay for a year.

Savage Clone 12.16.2006 01:08 PM

Is it cheaper if you are a resident of the area?
You could find out how long you have to live there in order to qualify for residency and see if it's worth it to get a job and apartment there for a while. Not sure how easy this is when you aren't from the US...

screamingskull 12.16.2006 01:13 PM

its much cheaper if your already a resident of washington. But that would meen going there on a 3 month visa and trying to get a job, then once i have a job getting a work visa. Then applying to become a US citizen, and you have to have lived in the states for over 3 years to be awarded that.

I wondering if working whilst im there to help pay off my debt might work. I could work like 3 days a week while im there and give all that money to the bank to help pay it off.
Anyone know what the minimum wage in Olympia/Washington is?

Danny Himself 12.16.2006 04:10 PM

Quote:

yeah, its evergreen. when are you going to apply to go?

I'm not sure. I was going to apply so I start the year after the second year of sixth form, but I might take a year out to help raise money.

screamingskull 12.16.2006 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
I'm not sure. I was going to apply so I start the year after the second year of sixth form, but I might take a year out to help raise money.

How old are you? , no matter how many years you take out its still hard to save up £54,000.00

i think im just going to move to portland instead.

Danny Himself 12.16.2006 06:46 PM

Fifteen. I've already started saving. It will help, I suppose.

screamingskull 12.16.2006 06:47 PM

how much you got saved?, ive wanted to since i was like 15 too, a friend of mine from school has already gone, he's there now lucky bastard.

Danny Himself 12.16.2006 06:48 PM

Argh, the lucky fucker!

I have a modest saving. A hundred or so. I have a hard time finding a job that fits around school, you see. I'm probably going to sell all my stuff before I go too.

screamingskull 12.16.2006 06:52 PM

yeah, if i took a year out, worked solidly and sold some stuff i could could probably afford one year there. But its a 4 year course so i would still come out with debts of about £40,000.

The alternative is to go to uni in B'ham, stay living with my mum, save and save and save and when ive graduated in 2010 move to portland. which is really where i want to be. i will be 21 then and older and wiser so it might be more sensible.