Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   was robin hood a real person? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3783)

Laila 07.05.2006 04:07 PM

was robin hood a real person?

i have to answer this question in a paper for school and i have no idea what to write. i have looked it up on the internet and some people say yes and some say no. what do you think? help me.

porkmarras 07.05.2006 04:08 PM

Funniest Thread Ever.

Laila 07.05.2006 04:10 PM

i can't believe this is a question either. i always thought it was a myth, but apparently people have traced family lines and all that stuff.

Glice 07.05.2006 04:11 PM

Real? Is it really that important whether he was 'real' in the sense of having lived? I think it's more important that he represents, in the collective consciousness, something we all appreciate, ergo, the conquering of vulgar capitalisms injustice. See also Christ, Mohammed. What's more important is what he represents, rather than the ostensive 'facts' of the 'myth'.

Rob Instigator 07.05.2006 04:12 PM

research shit in BOOKS damnit. the Internet does NOT have everything.

Rob Instigator 07.05.2006 04:12 PM

Robin Hood is more real than Jesus

Glice 07.05.2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

What, because he was black? Racist.

jon boy 07.05.2006 04:14 PM

this is the best thread i have seen in ages.

Pookie 07.05.2006 04:14 PM

It's one of those questions which will never have a definitive answer. Apparently the character was based on a real person, people will have their opinions nobody actually knows.

It's one of those annoying questions you get at school where you have to weigh up all the evidence, discuss all aspects and come to the conclusion that there is no answer.

Have fun though.

Laila 07.05.2006 04:14 PM

according to BBC.com they found documentation that he really existed and was trapped in St. Mary's church. read here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2198224.stm

porkmarras 07.05.2006 04:15 PM

Jesus?Black?Pfft,that's news to me.What else do they want now?A black president?

acousticrock87 07.05.2006 04:15 PM

Just write what you find (in your "own words" of course) and then randomly choose a side. Is s/he going to mark you down for being wrong, or is it just an essay?

Laila 07.05.2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Just write what you find (in your "own words" of course) and then randomly choose a side. Is s/he going to mark you down for being wrong, or is it just an essay?

i have no idea, he was pretty serious though. I think it really is one of those questions that has no right answere

Pookie 07.05.2006 04:17 PM

Myths & conspiracy theories are fun.

jon boy 07.05.2006 04:22 PM

he was from yorkshire so he must have been black. and by all probability racist.

porkmarras 07.05.2006 04:24 PM

Who Robin Hood or Jesus?

Savage Clone 07.05.2006 04:26 PM

Fat.

jon boy 07.05.2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Who Robin Hood or Jesus?

robin hood

Glice 07.05.2006 04:27 PM

Americans. A lot of people born in England refer to themselves as British. It's one of those weird ones. Like Spanish/ Catalonian.

acousticrock87 07.05.2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sn@ke
oh, I know you are "americans" but canadians are americans too, mexicans are americans too

They are? You mean North American?

And what exactly is the U.K.? Is it a country or a federation or what?

Glice 07.05.2006 04:32 PM

Quote:

They are? You mean North American?

And what exactly is the U.K.? Is it a country or a federation or what?

I'm potentially wrong, but I think 'United Kingdom' refers to the landmass (I'm never to sure if this include EIRE), whereas 'Britain' refers to the politically unified countries of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. I really should be able to say with more confidence, but it's a black spot.

LifeDistortion 07.05.2006 04:34 PM

Another question, Do you think Mighty Mouse can beat up Superman?

acousticrock87 07.05.2006 04:34 PM

Hm. It's just one of those questions I randomly think of and can never find a good answer. That's about as good an explanation as I can gather, though.

EDIT: The U.K. thing, not Mighty Mouse. But no. Mighty Mouse is fictional.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.05.2006 04:35 PM

Asking if Robin Hood was real is the same as asking if King Arthur was real, or if Beowulf was real. You could answer yes and no to a lot of these things, legend and myth are very often fact based.

Savage Clone 07.05.2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

EDIT: The U.K. thing, not Mighty Mouse. But no. Mighty Mouse is fictional.

Yes, and that is why he can't beat up Superman. Because we all know Superman is real.

jon boy 07.05.2006 04:38 PM

i was speaking to a man in san francisco not so long ago and he thought that my home town was a country. thats how dense some people can be.

acousticrock87 07.05.2006 04:38 PM

Superman isn't real. Silly kids.

jheii 07.05.2006 04:38 PM

I think that yr teacher knows that nobody knows for sure whether there was a Robin Hood, and want you to put that down.

Savage Clone 07.05.2006 04:40 PM

And Americans are Americans. You said yourself Mexicans are from Mexico, and are not called "Americans." The country we are from is The United States Of America, thus we are Americans. Canadians are from Canada.
I don't really see what the confusion is here. We are talking country of origin, not continent of origin. Yeesh.

jheii 07.05.2006 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I'm potentially wrong, but I think 'United Kingdom' refers to the landmass (I'm never to sure if this include EIRE), whereas 'Britain' refers to the politically unified countries of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. I really should be able to say with more confidence, but it's a black spot.

You've got it the wrong way around. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is just that. Britain is the name for the island that houses England, Scotland, and Wales.

nomadicfollower 07.05.2006 04:40 PM

Yes, of course he was, you never saw the movie?

(you can't rely on other people to do your work)

trance feeeedback 07.05.2006 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Jesus was a real person, there are actual records of his exsistence (besides the Bible) and no, Robin Hood was not real but his legend was obliviously based off of a real person. Jeez........

Laila 07.05.2006 04:53 PM

i can't believe people spend their whole lives trying to figure out questions like these which everyone knows are never going to be answered.

Savage Clone 07.05.2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laila
i can't believe people spend their whole lives trying to figure out questions like these which everyone knows are never going to be answered.

Like what happens after we die and how was the world created, that sort of thing?

Savage Clone 07.05.2006 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sn@ke
Well, everybody refers people who were born in the U.S.A as "americans":

"oh yeah, those americans.", "kill the americans", "americans are fat", "americans americans americans", "I want to live in america", "I LOVE america", "god bless america, "I fucking hate those americans", etc,etc,etc.

So it's kinda weird...,

yeah, but British are born in the U.K, someone from England is british, someone from Scotland is british too. The "americans" thing is weird because it refers a country not a continet, but it should be the continent America and people who live there, not only one country.

I think they have this problem because of the country name they have: United States of America, so what should we call them? "Unted standese americanese" people?, naa... we better call them just "americans".

If that is your criteria, why bother with any national distinctions? All people from Europe are Europeans. Hell, we might as well go for the big Kahuna and call everybody on earth Americans and Eurasians.

Oh, and people from Scotland are Scottish.

Edit:
I guess we would still have Australians, New Zealanders and Polynesians...

acousticrock87 07.05.2006 05:01 PM

Americans are people who are born in America, or who apply for and receive official citizenship. Sometimes a non-citizen who lives here might refer to themselves as an American because they've been here a while and they're proud of it, but no one else is considered American.

Savage Clone 07.05.2006 05:13 PM

I was saying that in a facetious way.
You CAN say European, but you can also say "Danish," "Czech," "Dutch," etc.
You can say "American," "Canadian," "Peruvian," "Brazilian," or you can say "North American/South American."

When referring to someone's origin, it is usually the country and not the continent. There are many countries on most continents. I honestly do not see what the big confusion is.

The CONTINENTS are called North America and South America, not "America."

acousticrock87 07.05.2006 05:13 PM

I see what you're saying, but no one considers people from North and South America to be just Americans. They're North and South Americans.

Savage Clone 07.05.2006 05:15 PM

acousticrock87, you are so getting repped for that.

Plain language and real nomenclature win again!

jheii 07.05.2006 05:17 PM

I think this is getting a bit silly. Since the continent is called North America, then you'd need to be specific and refer to Canadians and Mexicans as North Americans, to distinguish them from South Americans.