Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your Parent's music taste (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3746)

LittlePuppetBoy 07.04.2006 09:20 AM

Your Parent's music taste

What kind of music do your parents listen to?

My dad's a big fan of the Who, Depeche Mode, Talking Heads, the Moody Blues, the B-52's, anything from the 50's, and he is becoming an Arcade Fire fan. he despises rap and hip hop (typical), but he has admitted he like Kanye West

My mom's a big ABBA fan, and she was a Bay City Rollers fan in her youth (legend has it she named me after one of the members), she also likes the Red Hot Chili Peppers. However, she hates most of the mainstream music of the 80's

both of my folks have a real liking for Coldplay (typical), U2 (even more typical) and REM

Pookie 07.04.2006 09:26 AM

My parents never really listened to music. My Mum was an Elvis fan, but preferred his films.

My Dad liked The Ink Spots & The Bachelors & not much else.

But music was rarely played in my house, occassionally the radio would be on.

I don't know how I ended up so into music really.

Tokolosh 07.04.2006 09:42 AM

60's stuff.

sonic sphere 07.04.2006 09:46 AM

my old man likes instrumental guitar stuff from the 50's and 60's and the mamas and the papas.
my ould one likes roy orbison and buddy holly

fishmonkey 07.04.2006 10:20 AM

my dad is a beatles maniac. how predictable.

although he does have a weakness for Alice in Chains.

lizzarddd 07.04.2006 10:29 AM

my dad likes...everything from the 60's... ++ sheryl crow.
my mom likes...polish pop music

johnnywinternoshow 07.04.2006 11:17 AM

dad : lesley garrett, phil coulter, shirley bassey, glenn miller, joseph locke, pavarotti, pan pipes, "classical music" with a repetative beat behind it so he can seem hip

mum : eagles, meat loaf, queen, rod stewart, t-rex, irish showbands, linda ronstadt

can't say i like any of that stuff

Daycare Nation 07.04.2006 11:24 AM

when I was growing up:

father:

Ian and Sylvia, Johnny Cash, Elvis, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams, Peter Paul and Mary, John Denver

...they were both really into Jesus Christ Superstar and Christian folk music.

mom:

Ian and Sylvia, Peter Paul and Mary, John Denver, Kenny Rogers
...lately she likes Sufjan Stevens because I introduced her to him

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.04.2006 11:26 AM

My parents are young (being in highschool durig the 80's) so they listen to a lot of metal and rock, my mom likes that rap shit. My dad's a priest fan.

The 97th Hammer 07.04.2006 11:26 AM

My dad likes the Kinks, my mom likes Neil Young, so nothing embarrasing there.

Alex's Trip 07.04.2006 11:30 AM

My dad likes a lot of things. Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, the Beatles, RHCP, Things like that. He also likes some crappy stuff. Green day, U2.

My Mom isn't really a music fan, but she likes Madonna, Prince and Kelly Clarkson the most.

RockerNino 07.04.2006 11:41 AM

my dad...kroq in the 80s and 90s.

my mom......yea....music...

Everyneurotic 07.04.2006 11:59 AM

my mom was into the doors, queen, creedence, sabbath, deep purple, zeppelin.

now she's into belle & sebastian, radiohead, sonic youth, pavement, dinosaur jr, sufjan, black flag, flaming lips, dead kennedys...hell, she even digs mayhem and morbid angel a little!!

gmku 07.04.2006 12:15 PM

My mom's listening to heavenly harps. She's dead.

My dad, 75 years old, likes Henry Mancini and big band swing jazz. when I was a kid, he had a tough time when I was into the Beatles and the Stones. He still winces noticeably when my brother and I get into discussions about Sonic Youth and indie rock.

MichiganNOise 07.04.2006 12:23 PM

my dad got me into a bunch of cool shit in the mid ninties when i was a teen....the smashing pumpkins...the smiths....depeche mode....ultravox....roxy music....beatles...who...rush....lemonheads....bel ly....sundays....

LittlePuppetBoy 07.04.2006 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
my mom was into the doors, queen, creedence, sabbath, deep purple, zeppelin.

now she's into belle & sebastian, radiohead, sonic youth, pavement, dinosaur jr, sufjan, black flag, flaming lips, dead kennedys...hell, she even digs mayhem and morbid angel a little!!

holy shit. you're mom is cool

I'm planning on showing my dad some sy sometime. I've shown him Pavement and Velvet Underground, which he liked.

I forgot to mention my dad's a pretty big Doors fan.

acousticrock87 07.04.2006 12:45 PM

My dad: Beatles, Allman Brothers, CSNY, The Doors, Jethro Tull, Sheryl Crow, that kind of stuff, but he always listened to music a lot so he's familiar with pretty much every band in existance from the 60's and 70's. He's pretty open to most music unless it's Styx, Queen, or has a screaming vocalist. More recent stuff that he likes is like Jewel and RHCP.

My mom is always listening to Josh Groban or Michael W. Smith or something like that. Quite boring, but it could be worse.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.04.2006 12:48 PM

On a side note:
When My dad braught me to sonic youth, the Magik Markers were opening and as we entered they were playing. He hated it a lot. He hates noise in general, not because of the sounds [he hates that too] but because how he says anyone could do noise music. It's fun discussing it with him, he gets mad frequently.

BarbecueSmell 07.04.2006 12:49 PM

My dad loves Sonic Youth.

LifeDistortion 07.04.2006 12:50 PM

Mother was from the 60's so: Beatles, Moody Blues, Early Elton John, Oh and get this. My mom saw David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust in concert when he first came to the U.S.

xpresswaytoyrskull 07.04.2006 12:51 PM

Moms got me interested in Pink Floyd & Neil Young
Dad turned me on to everything from Black Sabbath to Dead Kennedys.

LittlePuppetBoy 07.04.2006 01:35 PM

My dad has the first Fall record in his collection, but he cannot recall ever buying it or even who the Fall are.

I know hates ACDC, and is not a fan of heavy (especially hair) metal. He's interested in checking out Radiohead though.

finding nobody 07.04.2006 01:36 PM

my dad like stevie ray vaughan, lynyrd skynyrd, the beatles, jimi hendrix, wilson pickett, johnny cash, jimmy donley the allman brothers, a ton of blues artists

my mom likes led zeppelin, motley crue, beastie boys, van halen, metallica and...that's all i can really think of right now. one time she went to a motley crue concert and begged me to go. but i strait up refused to because. 1. tickets were 50 fucking dollars 2. i hate that band

Danny Himself 07.04.2006 01:41 PM

My dad listens to a lot of stuff. He has a ton of old blues records, BB King, John Hooker, Lightnin' Hopkins. Beach Boys, Beatles, Velvet Underground, Led Zeppelin. Man, I forget because he has so much stuff. REM. He steals my Cat Power CDs sometimes. He and I started a folk band a while back, and we've almost made an album.

My mom is more... meh. She'll get into anything except Gangsta Rap or any of this new 'RnB'. She was heavily into bands like Deep Purple and Rainbow when she was a teen. I know she loved Abba and the Bay City Rollers when she was younger as well. She's kinda lost any boundaries these days though. She get into anything. Oh, she hates Sonic Youth.

hey alex 07.04.2006 02:07 PM

My mom used to listen to a lot of beatles when I was a kid so I like em. Infact of her records the beatles are the only things of intrest. The rest are rod stewart n shit. She's also a big prince fan and like 70 soul/funk music like stevie wonder.

My step-dad once told me he'd get high and listen tot he wall.

my dad had a typical, but decent, record collection. The who, zep, rolling stones and pink floyd. Lot's of ther cool stuff like a few bowie records, some dylan, andthe first velvet underground record. He found in a du,pster without a sleeve and some paint on it, but it still plays nicely. And when I found it he started talking about lou reed so that's cool.

Brett Robinson 07.04.2006 07:36 PM

my mom took me to my first concert, NIRVANA, when i was 12 years old. i rule.

HaydenAsche 07.04.2006 07:37 PM

They like country. My dad used to like hair metal.

Idiots.

SolidZach 07.04.2006 08:24 PM

mom-tom jones, any of the many divas

dad-jhonny cash...and thats it

umjammer atomsk 07.04.2006 08:28 PM

Dad- a ton of dumb shit like GNR, ACDC, Ted Nugent, etc.
Mom- nothing

samuel 07.04.2006 08:31 PM

My mom is a big fan of Missy Elliot and the Doors.

SolidZach 07.04.2006 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umjammer atomsk
Dad- a ton of dumb shit like GNR, ACDC, Ted Nugent, etc.
Mom- nothing

Ha, i forgot my dad likes ted nugent too.

swimsuitissue 07.05.2006 12:07 AM

Perry Como
Frank Sinatra

m^a(t)h 07.05.2006 12:44 AM

my parent's dont have taste...

krastian 07.05.2006 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umjammer atomsk
Dad- a ton of dumb shit like GNR, ACDC, Ted Nugent

2 rule the other well........

gmku 07.05.2006 08:44 AM

I think I'm old enough to be Dad to most of you guys, if not Grandpa. My tastes in music are nothing like that of most other people my age. Most people my age are stuck in the 60s or 70s. Doors, Beatles, Dylan, at best. Billy Joel, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, among the worst. I'm probably the only 51 year old I know who listens not only to Sonic Youth but also stuff like Liars and No Neck Blues Band. I've just always been interested in exploring new music.

Pookie 07.05.2006 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I think I'm old enough to be Dad to most of you guys, if not Grandpa. My tastes in music are nothing like that of most other people my age. Most people my age are stuck in the 60s or 70s. Doors, Beatles, Dylan, at best. Billy Joel, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, among the worst. I'm probably the only 51 year old I know who listens not only to Sonic Youth but also stuff like Liars and No Neck Blues Band. I've just always been interested in exploring new music.

Same goes for me (apart from the Grandpa bit). I don't think there's anything wrong with sticking to what you listened to in your youth - priorities change so much as you get older. But I'm also constantly looking for new music and haven't lost my enthusiasm for it, even if I have a lot less time to explore & listen these days.

jon boy 07.05.2006 08:58 AM

though my parents do like some good stuff, bob dylan, rolling stones etc they also like some attrocious stuff like u2 and david gray. its awful having to get birthday and xmas presents when they tell me they want one of their cd's.

my mum is more open to my music though, she does like some sonic youth and realy liked the melvins. she did once flash jimi hendrix as well!

gmku 07.05.2006 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Same goes for me (apart from the Grandpa bit). I don't think there's anything wrong with sticking to what you listened to in your youth - priorities change so much as you get older. But I'm also constantly looking for new music and haven't lost my enthusiasm for it, even if I have a lot less time to explore & listen these days.

True. I still listen to a lot of the stuff I grew up with, especially the Stones, and stuff from the punk era, like Patti Smith, Ramones, Television, et cetera. The weird thing is, this "growing up" term. I feel like there was never an era where I wasn't "growing up"--even through the 80s, I felt like I was still mostly a kid, even though I was a married and more responsible kid. I've always felt young. I know that sounds inane, conceited, but I don't mean it that way. I just feel like I have always lived a little outside the "real" adult world in my tastes and opinions and attituded, habits, etc. So listening to stuff I "grew up" with, to me, includes a lot, even stuff like Sonic Youth and the Pixies and all that alternative 1980s rock stuff. I've only recently started to feel "old" when I realized there is a lot of underground/noise stuff that I have yet to get into.

Pookie 07.05.2006 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
. I've only recently started to feel "old" when I realized there is a lot of underground/noise stuff that I have yet to get into.

I know what you mean. But again for me it comes down to time (& money!). I have a daughter and will have another child soon and there's no way I could afford to listen to more of the underground music there is around, and if I could afford it, I wouldn't have the time anyway.

But I completely agree with you about feeling removed from the adult world. I don't think that's about age though, but attitude. I bet most of the younger people on this forum feel the same way about their peers (maybe not?)

That's a good thing about places like this, you have to search further afield as you get older to share your interests, if most of your peers don't share them.

gmku 07.05.2006 09:30 AM

Definitely. For me now, as the kids are flying the coop, I find I have more time to listen to music again. Although not the money to get into everything I want to listen to, since we're now paying for college educations.