Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I am *this* far from giving up on job applications and walking into the hustler club (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35257)

phoenix 10.13.2009 10:54 PM

I am *this* far from giving up on job applications and walking into the hustler club

seriously.

my home will be a cardboard box in less than a month without $/ :(

pbradley 10.13.2009 10:57 PM

I'm currently on the random jobs for my extended family tour.

jon boy 10.13.2009 10:57 PM

dont do it, no matter what the texan board members say. can you move back in with parents? i know its not ideal but if your broke it might give you a chance to save up some money.

phoenix 10.13.2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I'm currently on the random jobs for my extended family tour.

same!!! I'm quickly approaching the end of hte list though!! I'm a fairy at a kids party next week!!!

phoenix 10.13.2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
dont do it, no matter what the texan board members say. can you move back in with parents? i know its not ideal but if your broke it might give you a chance to save up some money.

I have been moved back in mith my mom for almost 12 months now... She is getting pissed and to be honest I fucking hate it and would rather be anywhere but here, and I had said/we agreed I was leaving at the end of the month. There is no saving however when you are not working, no matter how low the rent is.

the big quasar 10.13.2009 11:09 PM

Have you tried taking portfolio photos for aspiring actors/artists/bands etc?
There's no outlay for you if you charge them for your time and burn a CD instead of selling them prints.

phoenix 10.13.2009 11:10 PM

I'ved tried asking around but haven't had much luck. Everyone seems to be in the same boat of having not much funds to spare. :(

jon boy 10.13.2009 11:12 PM

universities are always looking for research students, you dont have to take any experimental drugs (dang) just stuff like answering a bunch of questions.

the big quasar 10.13.2009 11:22 PM

What about action sport photos? Not the big-time stars because they get stuff for free.
Try the under-20s in football, basketball, netball, baseball, swimming. With digital you can show the subject your shots straight after the game. I'm sure you could make a few sales that way.

I get Brazilian surfers asking if I shot them all the time. (But most of the time I haven't shot them!)

atsonicpark 10.13.2009 11:23 PM

When I was broke, I signed up for internet surveys. Took hundreds a month, maybe made $100 a month. It wasn't really worth the time but it was something. They send tons of little checks.

phoenix 10.13.2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the big quasar
What about action sport photos? Not the big-time stars because they get stuff for free.
Try the under-20s in football, basketball, netball, baseball, swimming. With digital you can show the subject your shots straight after the game. I'm sure you could make a few sales that way.

I get Brazilian surfers asking if I shot them all the time. (But most of the time I haven't shot them!)

oh that sounds like a good idea!

phoenix 10.13.2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
universities are always looking for research students, you dont have to take any experimental drugs (dang) just stuff like answering a bunch of questions.

how do you go about looking up that stuff :confused:

atsonicpark 10.13.2009 11:29 PM

newspaper

phoenix 10.13.2009 11:32 PM

I think I've only seen one of those requests in the last few months and I didn't meet the criteria..

HaydenAsche 10.13.2009 11:36 PM

Have the government give you money. Tell them you're too anxious to work. Get a doctor's note. Fuck the government.

atsonicpark 10.13.2009 11:36 PM

I'd pay you to film some stuff for me, honestly. If you could film 20 minutes of dramatic ranting and shots of the beach, then I'd give you some cash.

phoenix 10.13.2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Have the government give you money. Tell them you're too anxious to work. Get a doctor's note. Fuck the government.

government payout isn't enough to live on, and is generally more work to it it than it is actually worth.

phoenix 10.13.2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I'd pay you to film some stuff for me, honestly. If you could film 20 minutes of dramatic ranting and shots of the beach, then I'd give you some cash.

I dont.... act.

maybe the beach. As if I know how to film stuff. :(

if I could do any of that I'd do it for free anyway.

Dead-Air 10.13.2009 11:39 PM

Responding directly to the Thread Title...

Based upon my recent experience, I'd say DON'T FUCKING DO THAT!

Especially if you are putting it forth as the last thing you would do, which you seem to be.

I'm not full of advice about how to get money, but don't resort to your last resorts, because that never makes you feel better about life.

phoenix 10.13.2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air

I'm not full of advice about how to get money, but don't resort to your last resorts, because that never makes you feel better about life.

very good point....

It is just very depressing still not finding a job, I know I am a decent worker. It is sucking the life from mybones.

Dead-Air 10.13.2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix
I dont.... act.

He didn't ask you to act. He asked you to rant. You do that, so now milk it.

atsonicpark 10.13.2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

I dont.... act.

Then, I'd donate some money for free. Heh.

I really want to get footage of things, for me to use, that I don't really have the ability to easily go out and get. It'd be cheaper for me to pay people than to actually go to the place and film it...

Also, I'd love for you to just rant on camera and throw that in my next film. You don't have to act or anything, just talk. It'd be awesome!

Anyway, just throwing that out there. I'd totally paypal you some money for your troubles.

For the record, my ex is going through the same shit as you are, she's applied at 13 places...

I "donated" some money to her............ a lot of money.

Dead-Air 10.13.2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

very good point....

It is just very depressing still not finding a job, I know I am a decent worker. It is sucking the life from mybones.

I understand completely. Capitalism is fucking awful shit. When you have a job, that sucks the life from your bones too, but in a different way.

However, having watched somebody I still care very deeply about get her life sucked from her bones much more directly and way too much of her soul as well, my pendulum has swung pretty fucking conservative on that particular tip...

phoenix 10.13.2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Then, I'd donate some money for free. Heh.

I really want to get footage of things, for me to use, that I don't really have the ability to easily go out and get. It'd be cheaper for me to pay people than to actually go to the place and film it...

Also, I'd love for you to just rant on camera and throw that in my next film. You don't have to act or anything, just talk. It'd be awesome!

Anyway, just throwing that out there. I'd totally paypal you some money for your troubles.

For the record, my ex is going through the same shit as you are, she's applied at 13 places...

I "donated" some money to her............ a lot of money.

donations don't help though. it's like the fish and the fishing. I just want to fucking work right now. I know it wont be my dream job, it just needs to be something to get me through a few months. I HATE handouts. I am a huge believer of doing things for yourself by yourself. You'veno idea... (on top of this boyshape gives me crap for how he has been supporting me for the past 18 months.. it hasn't been that long and I know it, but it fucks with my self esteem even more (forget the last two years when I was studying full time, working 20 hours a week in one job, 15 hours a week in another, and ALL the house work.. you know) )

I'll try film some junk for you when it's a nice day again. It has been raining non stop for two days. I dont have a good track record with doing stuff for people online though.. It can take years.

phoenix 10.13.2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

I understand completely. Capitalism is fucking awful shit. When you have a job, that sucks the life from your bones too, but in a different way.

However, having watched somebody I still care very deeply about get her life sucked from her bones much more directly and way too much of her soul as well, my pendulum has swung pretty fucking conservative on that particular tip...

...It just hurts my soul to think that one of the most annoying people I know of is bringing home 4K a week from that shit and I am applying for hundreds of crappy jobns and hearing NOTHING.

atsonicpark 10.13.2009 11:49 PM

Understood.

...If I was a girl and I knew I could dance and shit and make a shitload of money, I'd probably do it for a bit, but I'm not a girl and I know that the guys who go to those places are kinda creepy and fucked up. I guess it all depends on the place... If the "annoying person" you know isn't having a bad time with it, then maybe you should do it for a spell. At least until you get on your feet. I don't think you have to sign a contract or anything, you could do it for 1 night and see how awful it is and then leave.

phoenix 10.13.2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

you could do it for 1 night and see how awful it is and then leave.

I think I'm the kind of person that it would suck the life from me(even more so than the rest of this crap) within ten minutes.

sure I dance on tables. But only when I'm drunk and dfeinately not when getting paid.

atsonicpark 10.13.2009 11:53 PM

Yeah, but what if you ended up LIKING it?

...uhhh.

Nah.

Dead-Air 10.13.2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

...It just hurts my soul to think that one of the most annoying people I know of is bringing home 4K a week from that shit and I am applying for hundreds of crappy jobns and hearing NOTHING.

Yes, but that's where the loss of soul comes in. To do it, you have to do it, and even if you don't do coke, which my wife didn't, you will have to behave as if you do in so many ways. How much of that 4K goes into more shoes with even more ridiculously long heels and glow in the dark costumes, so that she can feel "fresh" to herself (which somehow becomes every bit as important as seeming "fresh" to the guys). And how often does she buy her own drinks in order to get the courage to get them to buy her drinks? It's an empty fucking existence, and as a femme boy who always has fantasized about being a girl who could live it, it really has sucked for me to see it so clearly for what it is of late.

phoenix 10.13.2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Yes, but that's where the loss of soul comes in. To do it, you have to do it, and even if you don't do coke, which my wife didn't, you will have to behave as if you do in so many ways. How much of that 4K goes into more shoes with even more ridiculously long heels and glow in the dark costumes, so that she can feel "fresh" to herself (which somehow becomes every bit as important as seeming "fresh" to the guys). And how often does she buy her own drinks in order to get the courage to get them to buy her drinks? It's an empty fucking existence, and as a femme boy who always has fantasized about being a girl who could live it, it really has sucked for me to see it so clearly for what it is of late.

probably.. there is a definate connection between her behaviour in and out of places. I wouldn't be surprised if half of it is blown on new shit to wear. A tonne of it is blown on *shouting* everyone (or trying to)

phoenix 10.14.2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Yeah, but what if you ended up LIKING it?

I honestly think if you started to like it too much you'd turn into a massive coke-head and blow all the cash anyway. It would become a lifestyle and not a job. It's definately not a career. It's something in between.

I've had this discussion so many times with all of my girl friends who are students with no cash or time to work. It's a huge pull to go do it because you work your own hours, the pay is better, and there is 0 responsibility.

Dead-Air 10.14.2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

probably.. there is a definate connection between her behaviour in and out of places. I wouldn't be surprised if half of it is blown on new shit to wear. A tonne of it is blown on *shouting* everyone (or trying to)

There is no other way to do it. Except to do it by not doing it, which is what I do, since I'm a guy anyway. When I'm on stage, climbing on a speaker cabinet in mask and dress, and slamming two guitars into each other, I'm stripping. But I certainly don't make any money at it, and my soul still belongs to me.

phoenix 10.14.2009 12:03 AM

Quote:

There is no other way to do it. Except to do it by not doing it, which is what I do, since I'm a guy anyway. When I'm on stage, climbing on a speaker cabinet in mask and dress, and slamming two guitars into each other, I'm stripping. But I certainly don't make any money at it, and my soul still belongs to me.

The thrill is so much cheaper at a strip joint. No one wants a life changing experience or an artistic trip.

!@#$%! 10.14.2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

I dont.... act.

you don't act but you wanna work in a hustler club?

im puzzled

i am very sorry for your predicament (for real), on the other hand i watch you refuse fast money for something easier than shaking your tits in public. it's kind of... aggravating to watch.

???

TAKE THE FUCKING MONEY.

i understand from here that you have a job and that's well and good, but learning to take the fucking money is skill #1 if you wanna work for yourself (what i read you wanna do).

from what i gather, there are a number of things that you know how to do--- crafts and other such shit. photography. art. etc. so, do it, put a price on it, go to a flea market (or whatever you call it in ostrichland) and fucking sell it. or photograph weddings. or make cakes.

you go to soho (in new york, not london) on any given sunday morning and you'll see entrepreneurial artists peddling their wares to the public. every city has a place like that.

my great aunt supported herself by making cakes to restaurants. my grandmother paid for my uncle's expensive surgeries by making toys and selling them for christmas. they both lived in a 3rd world country where there were no "jobs" for women like them.

my point is, if you wanna work, if you REALLY wanna work, you work, you don't say "oh i don't do this" and "i don't do that", you just fucking do it, you lie if you must to get your foot in the door and then you learn by fucking up. even if they fire you on day 3 you've made a little money.

grow some... ovaries & KILL YOUR LIMITATIONS. i mean, you seem stuck in a mental rut, crippling your options. people here can line up and say this and that and the other but if you keep saying no, guess what, nothing will happen for you.

go forth & thrash, etc. just fucking do it. something. checks from the government-- something. anything.

Satan 10.14.2009 12:05 AM

be a stripper. you so fine.

!@#$%! 10.14.2009 12:06 AM

Quote:

i like my job. i enjoy it for its own sake. not only that, it buys me nice steaks.

phoenix 10.14.2009 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you don't act but you wanna work in a hustler club?

im puzzled

i am very sorry for your predicament (for real), on the other hand i watch you refuse fast money for something easier than shaking your tits in public. it's kind of... aggravating to watch.

???

TAKE THE FUCKING MONEY.

i understand from here that you have a job and that's well and good, but learning to take the fucking money is skill #1 if you wanna work for yourself (what i read you wanna do).

from what i gather, there are a number of things that you know how to do--- crafts and other such shit. photography. art. etc. so, do it, put a price on it, go to a flea market (or whatever you call it in ostrichland) and fucking sell it. or photograph weddings. or make cakes.

you go to soho (in new york, not london) on any given sunday morning and you'll see entrepreneurial artists peddling their wares to the public. every city has a place like that.

my great aunt supported herself by making cakes to restaurants. my grandmother paid for my uncle's expensive surgeries by making toys and selling them for christmas. they both lived in a 3rd world country where there were no "jobs" for women like them.

my point is, if you wanna work, if you REALLY wanna work, you work, you don't say "oh i don't do this" and "i don't do that", you just fucking do it, you lie if you must to get your foot in the door and then you learn by fucking up. even if they fire you on day 3 you've made a little money.

grow some... ovaries & KILL YOUR LIMITATIONS. i mean, you seem stuck in a mental rut, crippling your options. people here can line up and say this and that and the other but if you keep saying no, guess what, nothing will happen for you.

go forth & thrash, etc. just fucking do it. something. checks from the government-- something. anything.

is this whole rant for saying no to astonic giving me $20?

I don't know what it is like where you are right now, but even markets here are nothing compared to what they were a couple of years ago. There are not even a quarter of the people going and less than that actually wanting to buy anything and more getting out for a free day of entertainment. I have sat at market stalls and paid my $50 to sit there and not sold the $50 worth of stuff to make it back.
I haven't said no to anything remotely reasonable? I dont think?

a government check of $27 a fortnight (and only if I DONT get any work in that fortnight, which I need to keep a record of in a little book and call them every week to tell them about) is not going to help pay my bills. Sorry, it just isn't. I'd rather let it go to someone who has a disability and is worse off than me, at the moment anyway.

atsonicpark 10.14.2009 12:07 AM

Yeah, I wanted to say what Satan just said, but I am trying to take this thread seriously.

Phoenix, you're sexy. Haha.

atsonicpark 10.14.2009 12:08 AM

!@#$%!, she made clear that she doesn't want donations/lil' moneys, she wants a job-job.

pbradley 10.14.2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
my point is, if you wanna work, if you REALLY wanna work, you work, you don't say "oh i don't do this" and "i don't do that", you just fucking do it

I am envious of your alternative universe.