Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   To wohever bought the deluxe edition cds.. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=17760)

nicfit 11.14.2007 04:12 PM

To wohever bought the deluxe edition cds..

Did you keep the single cd editions too?
I'm wondering wether or not to keep Goo and Dirty or give them as a present (not becuz that would make me save money on "new" presents, eh...) now that I plan to buy the deluxe editions...
stupid question, I know, but wanted to hear your povs.

Sonic Youth 37 11.14.2007 04:18 PM

I kept them. The Goo and Dirty would be the only ones I'd consider parting as DDN holds too much sentimental value. Giving them as gifts isn't a bad idea, though, especially to a dear friend that digs SY

noisereductions 11.14.2007 04:25 PM

I have the single disc versions to the guy that lives in the apartment below me, because he "never got into" SY. I felt that they were all good entry-drug albums.

nicfit 11.14.2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
I kept them. The Goo and Dirty would be the only ones I'd consider parting as DDN holds too much sentimental value. Giving them as gifts isn't a bad idea, though, especially to a dear friend that digs SY

That's exactly what I'm thinking right now.
I already decided to keep DDN (even if it sounds pretty bad), Dirty might be the first SY album I bought but I'm not that attached to the object itself... on the other hand, I'm kinda pondering also to try and track down ("collect"?) most of SY (not sideprojects as of now) stuff released on cd...bah..time will tell I guess, and now I kinda regret giving away my single cd copy of WM back when I bought the 2 cds version ha ha... I can change my mind pretty fast, apparently.

Sonic Youth 37 11.14.2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
That's exactly what I'm thinking right now.
I already decided to keep DDN (even if it sounds pretty bad), Dirty might be the first SY album I bought but I'm not that attached to the object itself... on the other hand, I'm kinda pondering also to try and track down ("collect"?) most of SY (not sideprojects as of now) stuff released on cd...bah..time will tell I guess, and now I kinda regret giving away my single cd copy of WM back when I bought the 2 cds version ha ha... I can change my mind pretty fast, apparently.

Also, the jewel cases are easier to use if you want to pop one in the cd player. The slip cases can get very annoying.

jennthebenn 11.14.2007 04:42 PM

i admire the altruism exhibited here...i keep the original single discs as
mementos.

nicfit 11.14.2007 04:46 PM

ha ha nobody mentioned the misspelled thread title yet.

pokkeherrie 11.14.2007 04:56 PM

I gave away my single disc version of Washing Machine after I got the 2CD version with the live disc, I gave away a single disc copy of Dirty because I had two and I gave away DDN because I lend it out to someone who moved to another city and when it was on sale I bought a new one and said he could keep it.

But for some reason I didn't give the single discs away after I got the deluxe versions and I don't think I will... even if it's just because the booklets are different or because of some silly sentimental reason.
Of course I have them all on vinyl too and I even picked up a second hand copy of the Blast First CD of DDN just to see if it really sounded different to the Geffen version. Gosh. :rolleyes:

nicfit 11.14.2007 05:04 PM

Now that you mention it, I don't regret giving away WM, after all it's the very same record... and I loved her, so, yeah....won't ask it back ah ha.
will evaluate on the single cds also becuz at first I wasn't sure about getting the remastered ones coz I kinda "grew accustomed" to the sound of the 1 cd ones... but I really liked the DDN deluxe, with the nice booklet and all, so I decided to buy Dirty and Goo too... tomorrow I'll add a poll with the options and see which one will prevail, ha ha.

Sonic Youth 37 11.14.2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
Now that you mention it, I don't regret giving away WM, after all it's the very same record... and I loved her, so, yeah....won't ask it back ah ha.
will evaluate on the single cds also becuz at first I wasn't sure about getting the remastered ones coz I kinda "grew accustomed" to the sound of the 1 cd ones... but I really liked the DDN deluxe, with the nice booklet and all, so I decided to buy Dirty and Goo too... tomorrow I'll add a poll with the options and see which one will prevail, ha ha.

The DDN Deluxe sounds the best out of all of them, with Goo being second and Dirty third. The sound on Dirty isn't all that much different (to my ears) just marginally louder. But, I buy them for the bonus tracks mostly.

pokkeherrie 11.14.2007 05:12 PM

Yes, DDN sounds better, as does Goo, especially the demos sound much much better. Not sure about Dirty either, plus they cut the intro to Genetic. Bastards.

avantgarde1 11.14.2007 05:12 PM

i gave mine away to friends i thought would like SY, and sure enough they got into em. even went and saw SY w/ me in dallas last month.

nicfit 11.14.2007 05:15 PM

yep, DDN was the one I bought for the sound improvement (I had the not-at-all-good-sounding geffen cd), while I'll buy the others mainly for the booklets and bonus cds.
I'll visit some online stores soon, ha ha , I'm a happy bunny (<--- see, nef?) tonight.

Sonic Youth 37 11.14.2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Yes, DDN sounds better, as does Goo, especially the demos sound much much better. Not sure about Dirty either, plus they cut the intro to Genetic. Bastards.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! That angered me some, but not alot since I have the 100% single.

Everyneurotic 11.14.2007 07:22 PM

i have the regular cds alright, keeping them.

of course, now i don't have the dirty booklet thanks to some jealous cunts.

pantophobia 11.14.2007 07:56 PM

kept

they look better on my shelf in chronological order with the single jewel case

at this point i can't listen to the old dirty disc anymore, cause the extra b-side just blend seamlessly into it, that and the destroyed room closes the album better then creme brulee

touch me i'm sick 11.15.2007 12:49 AM

this thread inspired me to unwrap my single edition Goo, that i got as a gift, that i had never opened because i have the deluxe. i was thinking about returning it or selling it, but now i'm glad i've opened it and decided to keep it

Cantankerous 11.15.2007 12:54 AM

if you have the original albums i dont really see a point in getting all this remastered shit. the original DDN sounds fine to me.

Protectmeyou 11.15.2007 01:30 AM

I'm suprised that no one has touched on this:

I've kept all the single disc versions because all of the Deluxe versions have been "hot-mastered". They've all been victims of the loudness war, and I'd rather hear the cd's without compression or limiting .
original version on top, deluxe underneath - Teenage Riot:

sonicl 11.15.2007 04:01 AM

I gave my single disc versions away. I want to own everything by SY that I possibly can, but I'm not bothered about having duplicate copies.

rappard 11.15.2007 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
[snip]
Of course I have them all on vinyl too and I even picked up a second hand copy of the Blast First CD of DDN just to see if it really sounded different to the Geffen version. Gosh. :rolleyes:

Well, does it? I've always wondered as well, but never came across the Blast First edition. </end trainspotting>

sound_world 11.15.2007 05:34 AM

yeh i kept mine when i got the Deluxe versions , didnt see the point in selling them and bsides i spend way 2 long looking for those single cd editions anyway ,

nicfit 11.15.2007 05:40 AM

oh, welcome to the board sound_world!
Eventually I'll probably keep them as a memento (as jennthebenn said), protectmeyou, I still think the ddn remastered sounds WAY better than the geffen edition, even with "hot-mastering".

Protectmeyou 11.15.2007 05:58 AM

in what way does it sound better?

nicfit 11.15.2007 06:02 AM

you can (well, I can, guess it's also a matter of personal "inclinations") simply hear better what they play, and it's not just a matter of higher volume.

edit: here's a thread I opened a while ago asking for opinions on the sound of the different DDN editions,

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13895

scott v's post there sums up pretty much what I meant here about the sound of the deluxe
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
ok i have the 3 editions that are being asked about for comparison (1. Blast First/Enigma original cd 2. DGC reissue 1995 3. Deluxe Edition)

the Blast First original cd is the most quiet mostly because of the production and mastering of cds at that time, in the late 80's the cds were made were less loud and the fidelity is not as good as the standards of today.

the DGC reissue is louder and to my ears thats about it, its supposedly a remaster? (i dunno) but other than louder its not any clearer as a matter of fact when i played it in my stereo system (though not great but its very good) it has abit less clarity however it has slightly more bass presence which may impact on the sound.

the deluxe edition is indeed LOUD and meets the volume level of compact disc releases of today (as an experiment try playing cds produced today vs. 10 years ago vs. 15 or 20 years ago... there is a difference) plus its quite clean w/ a alot more clarity on the guitars, the vocals i always thought were good on this album so i don't hear much impact in that regard. the bass is more pronounced but doesn't impact clarity... plus they've broken down the "Trilogy" into three seperate tracks (a. wonder, b. hyperstation, z. eliminator jr.) which is a nice thing if you say want to make a mix or are DJing and only want to play a specific segment of it!

the eric's trip demo: although interesting the sound quality is a miss and seems abit awkward as an inclusion to Disc 1 (the complete album) personally i would've prefered "Su Nioj" an outtake from the Daydream Sessions but since that track is pretty weird and off the cuff and just what i call a "laugh jam" thats probably why it doesn't appear here.

Disc 2 is great most of the live tracks here sound quite good and are decent for the time, maybe the fidelity of kissability is obviously not as good as most of the others, as ther are some great and interesting takes of these songs, also providence is barely audible due to crowd noise but what do you expect. the B-sides to me are interesting but not exactly essential though they are very well done...

PAULYBEE2656 11.15.2007 07:34 AM

i gave mine on indefinate loan to mate who likes music in general but heneeds to be forced into the youth. he was forced, he now loves sy and offered to buy em off me. i declined ay money so he bought gave me a quarter of smoke insead.... fair deal i say! plus the cds are going t good use, not stuck in some charity bargain bin alongside peter cetera and the entire collection of glen medioros albums

Gainsbarre 11.15.2007 03:23 PM

Give 'em away! What do you need 'em for? Unless you have the Dirty cd with the banned artwork what difference does it make? There's many kids out there who could use a dose of Da Yoot.
I used to work at a record store and when certain cd's came in used that I had I would buy them just to give them away to people. I still have a few copies of Ol Dirty Bastard's Nigga Please I've yet to pass out. It's could for the soul/karma all that shit...

Gainsbarre 11.15.2007 03:24 PM

Besides, the vinyl versions all sound better than the discs anyway...

SYRFox 11.15.2007 03:27 PM

I kept my original single CDs. Don't know, I just couldn't sell them...

Gainsbarre 11.15.2007 03:28 PM

I'm not suggesting sell 'em. Give 'em out!

Protectmeyou 11.15.2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gainsbarre
Give 'em away! What do you need 'em for? Unless you have the Dirty cd with the banned artwork what difference does it make?

I take it you completely missed my post, or vehemently disagree with it?

NicFit, I find that the deluxe editions all sound the same - loud all of the time. There's little or no dynamics left. Which is fine for iPod and general mp3 listening.
But popping the cd into a good quality stereo with good speakers and you really hear a difference. Whereas the introduction of "Candle" creeps and sits nicely on the Geffen
version, the deluxe re (or is that hot-) master is loud from the get go. I can't hear anything clearer myself on the deluxes. If you have any examples that come to mind that I
can look out for, please do??

As I've said before here on this board, you're not hearing the entire wav form on these deluxe versions, they've been pumped up and had the edges chopped off - it's MISSING elements
of the final recorded product. How this sits alright with even the casual music listener, I do not know. Yes it's anal, but it's friggin quality music isn't it?

gohleekwang 11.16.2007 01:11 AM

good that somebody pointed it out, i really disapointed with the deluxe of dirty. why is it so damn loud & overload?

Cantankerous 11.16.2007 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protectmeyou
I'm suprised that no one has touched on this:

I've kept all the single disc versions because all of the Deluxe versions have been "hot-mastered". They've all been victims of the loudness war, and I'd rather hear the cd's without compression or limiting .
original version on top, deluxe underneath - Teenage Riot:

wouldn't that clip and cause a loss of audio quality? this furthers my argument against deluxe editions.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gainsbarre
Besides, the vinyl versions all sound better than the discs anyway...

exactly, because they're trying to take stuff that was recorded in an analog format and intended for release on an analog format and compress the hell out of it to satisfy the pigs at the forefront of this so-called digital revolution. the CD is a pretty disposable format, if you ask me.

gmku 11.16.2007 01:30 AM

Like others, I'm keeping my old copies. I bought the deluxe editions in the LP format. I like having the different issues from a collector's standpoint. But again, my first versions are only CDs, and like Cantankerous says, I consider them more disposable than the LPs. So I wouldn't miss them terribly. These days I use CDs mostly just for the car.

pokkeherrie 11.16.2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rappard
Well, does it? I've always wondered as well, but never came across the Blast First edition. </end trainspotting>

yes, but i'd have to go back and carefully listen to both to tell you what it was, because that was some years ago.
i think it's petty much what scott v said though, the geffen one is louder and seemed to have a few unclarities compared to the blast first one. but in my opinion it wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be on the old board, that the geffen 1995 reissue was really terrible compared to the original thing. on my - admittedly not so professional - sound system i could only hear it clearly in two songs or so, teenage riot and it think maybe the sprawl or 'cross the breeze.