Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   First live band... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2963)

Pookie 06.14.2006 05:12 PM

First live band...

At a risk of starting something that's been done a million times before...first band you saw live? Honestly! Good,bad, or plain dull? I'll leave mine for now, 'cos it'll make me feel REALLY old.

Joey 06.14.2006 05:15 PM

Sleeping Pilot, Halloween Hardcore at Babylon.

Good times.

m^a(t)h 06.14.2006 05:15 PM

Ive never gone to a show before worth mentioning, but I plan to see Matmos in the fall...

Glice 06.14.2006 05:23 PM

Stiff Little Fingers. Apparently I saw the (post-Adge) Wurzels, but I don't remember them. I think the first gig I saw that I bought a ticket for meself was Gene with the Supernaturals.

krastian 06.14.2006 05:25 PM

REM-1999

kingcoffee 06.14.2006 05:30 PM

The first actual band that I ever saw live was Mission of Burma with WILCO at the Fleet Boston Pavilion in 2003. It was great. Mission of Burma kicked ass. Just an electric set. It was the first time the band perfromed together in over 20 years and they didn't miss a beat!

Wilco was ok. They're set was so-so. I was expecting them to be much better than that. It really negatively affected my judgement of the band for quite some time. It wasnt until later that I realized that the band was much better than that performance lead me to believe. they had just had a bit of an off night. Apparently the band members were going through drug withdrawal. I can understand now.

kingcoffee 06.14.2006 05:31 PM

Unfortunately, since WILCO's set was kinda lame, they dragged it on for two encore's. I just wanted to go home after that and I think that the two encore's even furthered my misinformed dislike of the band.

kingcoffee 06.14.2006 05:31 PM

Shame on me.

Glice 06.14.2006 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingcoffee
Shame on me.

I don't think there's any shame. Seriously, I'm convinced that some point around 2000 aliens came down and replaced the previous 'good, but a little bit average' Wilco with 'No fucking way is that the same band' Wilco.

Iain 06.14.2006 05:52 PM

Brainiac was the first band I saw...supporting Beck. Both were lovely. Beck was surprisingly loud and fucked my left ear up a bit.

EMMAh 06.14.2006 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey
Sleeping Pilot, Halloween Hardcore at Babylon.

Good times.

I saw my first live band there too, I don't remember who it was though cause they sucked balls, plus I got kicked out half way through for underage drinking.

EDIT: Well technically Britney Spears was the first concert I saw as a present for my 10th birthday, but she's not a band.

toxic johnny 06.14.2006 05:56 PM

Edit: Sparks was the first band that I ever saw... in 1975 at the Newcastle city hall. I can't remember much about it now other than it was very exciting.

luxinterior 06.14.2006 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic johnny
Sparks was the first band that I ever saw... at the Newcastle city hall. I can't remember much about it now other than it was very exciting.

That is awesome.

Mine was Bruce Springsteen.

youthoftomorrow 06.14.2006 06:09 PM

Incubus (opening act: Hoobastank) at the Kansas Coliseum, April '02. they were pretty awesome.

EMMAh 06.14.2006 06:14 PM

Please tell me you don't like Hoobastank...

youthoftomorrow 06.14.2006 06:16 PM

are you fucking kidding me? they suck shit.

EMMAh 06.14.2006 06:28 PM

Hahahahaha! Okay good, just making sure :D

samuel 06.14.2006 06:31 PM

Local shit.

nomadicfollower 06.14.2006 06:32 PM

Kansas. They came to a festival we have here. It wasn't that bad, but seriously, how much Kansas can one take? It got horrible dull.

HaydenAsche 06.14.2006 06:33 PM

Sonshine like 6 years in a row.

First real show was probably Locust and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Sweet show.

Mackle 06.14.2006 07:12 PM

New Order with Red Hot Chili Peppers

LifeDistortion 06.14.2006 07:20 PM

The very first live performance I ever went to was in Hawii. I went to a club to see a band called "Indestructible Grey". They were a Nine Inch Nails/Skinny Puppy influnced kind of band. First show I went to beyond that small gig was Rancid during thier "Life Won't Wait" tour. U.S. Bombs were the first band to play. I didn't have that great a time at the concert to be honest. I've been to much better since then.

Mackle 06.14.2006 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
The very first live performance I ever went to was in Hawii. I went to a club to see a band called "Indestructible Grey". They were a Nine Inch Nails/Skinny Puppy influnced kind of band. First show I went to beyond that small gig was Rancid during thier "Life Won't Wait" tour. U.S. Bombs were the first band to play. I didn't have that great a time at the concert to be honest. I've been to much better since then.

Not a big Rancid fan but I saw them a few years ago and it was great. Total dancing fun! Met Tim Armstrong after. What a dick

youthoftomorrow 06.14.2006 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
how much Kansas can one take?

well, i lived there for 16 years.

LittlePuppetBoy 06.14.2006 07:40 PM

Tragically Hip......if you mean first rock concert

TheMadcapLaughs 06.14.2006 07:52 PM

my first real concert was Iron Maiden with Motorhead opening. It was fucking sick.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.14.2006 08:51 PM

the first live music I ever saw was a Sleater Kinney gig at the Roxy in LA for the release of the Hot Rock. Since that record was such a dramatic shift in direction, and it being my first show ever, it turned out to be a fantastic night of good music. I was 15 and my pops took me over there, which made him feel the most uncomfortable since the only dudes in their 40s at SK shows tend to be gay. As well, this was mid bubble for SK's scene, and so the crowd was essentially full of lipstick lesbian college girls (the last sk show i went to in 05 had the most ecclectic mix of people in an audiance i had seen outside of the hollywood bowl) My second live show was This Aint No Picnic when Sonic Youth got jacked for that truck full of equipment. moral of that story, just because your a band doesn't mean its a good idea to carry around most of the equipment you own, unless all you own is enough to gig with.

this was from the Roxy gig.

DemonBox 06.15.2006 02:12 AM

Turbonegro

Norma J 06.15.2006 02:18 AM

I remember seeing bands before this, but my first show that I really wanted to see, and went by myself to, was a Silverchair concert. It was '97 I recall.

CHOUT 06.15.2006 02:20 AM

The first live band I ever saw was probably my uncle's band when I was tiny. I remember them playing on a trailer at a farm in South Dakota.

The first real concert I went to was the Red Hot Chili Peppers with Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam opening in November 1991. No one gave a shit about SP and PJ at that point. Everyone was going to the bathroom and grabbing beers during Pearl Jam's set. I thought they were a local band.

_slavo_ 06.15.2006 02:27 AM

The Gathering in Prague in like 1999 or so

finding nobody 06.15.2006 02:56 AM

jeff healy

sonicl 06.15.2006 02:58 AM

Altered Images, some time about 1982, I think.

youthoftomorrow 06.15.2006 03:52 AM

well, now you've got me intrigued.

DemonBox 06.15.2006 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Altered Images, some time about 1982, I think.

Happy Birthday!

sonic pharmacist 06.15.2006 11:08 AM

My first concert was David Gilmour in the mid 80's...was actually quite good. First arena concert was Rush a couple of years later (Faith No More opened). Rush was great, FNM was not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
The first real concert I went to was the Red Hot Chili Peppers with Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam opening in November 1991. No one gave a shit about SP and PJ at that point. Everyone was going to the bathroom and grabbing beers during Pearl Jam's set. I thought they were a local band.

That same lineup came through San Diego, and I passed on going (didn't like the Chilis, not familiar w/ SP at that point). What a fool I was.

luxinterior 06.15.2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
the first live music I ever saw was a Sleater Kinney gig at the Roxy in LA for the release of the Hot Rock. Since that record was such a dramatic shift in direction, and it being my first show ever, it turned out to be a fantastic night of good music. I was 15 and my pops took me over there, which made him feel the most uncomfortable since the only dudes in their 40s at SK shows tend to be gay. As well, this was mid bubble for SK's scene, and so the crowd was essentially full of lipstick lesbian college girls (the last sk show i went to in 05 had the most ecclectic mix of people in an audiance i had seen outside of the hollywood bowl) My second live show was This Aint No Picnic when Sonic Youth got jacked for that truck full of equipment. moral of that story, just because your a band doesn't mean its a good idea to carry around most of the equipment you own, unless all you own is enough to gig with.

this was from the Roxy gig.

Some pictures I took at the SK concert I went to (these are only of Carrie, because I was closest to her and the pictures of the whole band didn't turn out):

noisemachine 06.15.2006 12:29 PM

This is sad, but my first concert was .... Green Day. Yeah, I'll admit it. But I was pretty young at the time (I think I was around 13) so I was still into shitty music.

Inhuman 06.15.2006 01:07 PM

uuuhhhh...I kinda forget. Trying to remember...

I think it was Against Me!.

CHOUT 06.15.2006 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama
I just go with telling people my first show was Elton John, when I was like 12, with my mom. That was actually my second show, but I can't say the first band I ever saw for fear of being completely banned from this forum forever.

Tell us! We'll still love you.