Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Oasis (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15371)

matt74m 08.08.2007 10:34 AM

Oasis

Why are there still people in this world that think they are good? Has there ever been such a succesfull bunch of talentless tossers?

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 08.08.2007 10:36 AM

morning glory is the only 'decent' thing.

PAULYBEE2656 08.08.2007 10:37 AM

i like em. they quench the thirst pretty damn fine, not as fine as....

Pax Americana 08.08.2007 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
morning glory is the only 'decent' thing.

Agreed.

Glice 08.08.2007 11:26 AM

Champagne Supernova, Rock n' Roll star. Great tunes. While I do think Oasis are pretty crap, and they inspired legions of shit, Noel Gallagher is one of the more entertaining celebrity pundit types around, and thus shouldn't die.

Danny Himself 08.08.2007 11:31 AM

Classic Mancunians, if you ask me.

(this means I look down upon them with as much disdain as I would to a piece of dogshit)

king_buzzo 08.08.2007 11:49 AM

they're a bunch of cunts.

Glice 08.08.2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself

(this means I look down upon them with as much disdain as I would to a piece of dogshit)

[ahem] Cast [excuse me].

fishmonkey 08.08.2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

[ahem] The Coral [excuse me]

sellouteater 08.08.2007 12:03 PM

i love threads dedicated to insulting a band espcally a annoying fugly band like oasis

Danny Himself 08.08.2007 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
[ahem] Cast [excuse me].

Not as criminally terrible as Oasis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmoney
[ahem]The Coral[excuse me]

The Coral are from Wirral. Thats not Liverpool.

Glice 08.08.2007 01:05 PM

Quote:

Not as criminally terrible as Oasis.

I'm sorry, but 20 Standing on the Shoulders of Giants would never be as bad as the one Finetime extant. And that's not to mention Cast's slower numbers.

MellySingsDoom 08.08.2007 01:35 PM

^^^^I could imagine sharing a joke or two with Noel G, whereas the only thing I'd like to share with John Power is my fist. The same goes for Paul Weller - "but Melly, you can't slag off the Jam, they were great!" - yes I can. Cunts.

PAULYBEE2656 08.08.2007 03:47 PM

can i start a kingmaker thread?????????????

sarramkrop 08.08.2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
can i start a kingmaker thread?????????????

I DARE YOU!

ZEROpumpkins 08.09.2007 03:10 AM

Their first two albums were good. Everything else = .....ummmmmmm....

SynthethicalY 08.09.2007 03:12 AM

I like some songs from them, they are not the most talented people, but have made okay songs, not all though.

matt74m 08.09.2007 04:25 AM

Quote:

Champagne Supernova, Rock n' Roll star. Great tunes. While I do think Oasis are pretty crap, and they inspired legions of shit, Noel Gallagher is one of the more entertaining celebrity pundit types around, and thus shouldn't die.

I admit that I bought the album, but at the time I'd only just started listening to Nirvana, never mind Sonic Youth, quickly worked out which was better. Was more in to stuff like Aphex Twin and knew very little about rock at the time, but hey, you learn. That album is probably their best, but a piece of shit is a piece of shit.

Noel Gallagher can be amusing with the way he'll have an opinion on everything, but most of the time he just talks shit.

Fuck it, I just don't like the cunts.

ZEROpumpkins 08.09.2007 07:44 AM

Liam is the more opinionated one. But they both are loudmouths.

sarramkrop 08.09.2007 07:53 AM

I think that you mean the other way round. I still enjoy Oasis' first album (most of it, anyway) but I've lost interest by the time Morning Glory came out. Why? 'Cause it's crap, megalomania, arrogance, arrests or not.

demonrail666 08.09.2007 07:57 AM

Oasis were a once exciting band that should've split up after their second album. Which is one more than the Jesus and Mary Chain. so there.

uhler 05.20.2008 12:18 AM

oasis are one of my guilty pleasures. i don't really listen to them but i have a bunch of thier cds (some i never even listened to). i enjoy some of their stuff though. it just depends on my mood.

Cantankerous 05.20.2008 12:27 AM

fookin oasis and were gonna take ova the fookin world!

noel gallagher amuses the hell out of me

and i do love "champagne supernova"

that's about it

Death & the Maiden 05.20.2008 01:34 AM

I really dislike Oasis, but I still enjoy some of their songs; Live Forever and Don't Look Back In Anger. Noel can be pretty amusing, but Liam is just annoying.

SonicBebs 05.20.2008 04:11 AM

do people still get upset by Oasis?
wow

LittlePuppetBoy 05.20.2008 09:56 AM

I liked them as a kid.......

greedrex 05.20.2008 10:13 AM

they're crap
and wankers
and i don't give a flying fuck about the cunts
don't even know why i bothered losing twenty seconds of my precious time with this reply

ignore it

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.20.2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt74m
Why are there still people in this world that think they are good? Has there ever been such a succesfull bunch of talentless tossers?

yeah, just about every top 40 band on the radio for the past ten years solid. but I agree, Oasis sucks so bad it hurts my feelings that they were so successful as an artist band, they were like a mellow version of greenday [ie, faker then fake]

Glice 05.20.2008 12:03 PM

I think the problem with Oasis wasn't that they were faker than fake, it was more that they're entirely earnest about what they're doing, utterly convinced that what they were doing was entirely right. The abject lack of imagination and the coke-fuelled period of artlessness was why we hate them now. This is, of course, a British perspective. Manchester has millions of cunts like the Gallaghers. In fact, they're practically moderate, bean-curd eating hippies from Ealing by comparison to some proper Manc lads.

Rob Instigator 05.20.2008 12:20 PM

but Oasis was suppos3ed to be the second coming of songwriting genius like the beatles!

ha ha ha!!!!!!

koolthing78 05.20.2008 12:36 PM

It's interesting that of the people who acknowledge liking a few Oasis songs, "Champagne Supernova" is almost always mentioned as being one of them. For me, that was the song that sealed the deal as far as hating them. "Don't Look Back in Anger"--while being rather derivative--was not bad for me at a time I was still forming my musical tastes. But every time Champagne "Supernover" (god, that annoyed me) came on the radio, I knew it was going to be, like, 6 minutes until something else would come on. I just didn't feel like it was interesting or good enough to warrant going on for as long as it did. But to each his own.

GrungeMonkey 05.20.2008 12:54 PM

can't stand oasis. they say theyre so influenced by the beatles, but then why does every oasis song sound the same? at least the beatles grew and developed as a band as they went on. Oasis just keep making the same boring shit.

Rob Instigator 05.20.2008 12:59 PM

Oasis never looked like they were having a good time.
why would I want to listen to aband that obviously is not enjoying themselves at all?\

radarmaker 05.20.2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Champagne Supernova, Rock n' Roll star. Great tunes.

I'll give you Rock 'n Roll Star, but Champagne Supernova makes me physically ill.

Along with Suede, they're a band that condensed absolutely everything they had to give into the first song of their first album, creating one fantastic moment followed by a career of turgid shit.

demonrail666 05.20.2008 01:50 PM

Supersonic was a genius debut single and one that I still listen to now. I remember taping them when they appeared on The Word and breaking the tab on the cassette. Once they replaced the curly haired drummer though, things started going rapidly down hill. You sensed an element of professionalism creeping into their once shambolic freshness. And once Bonehead went, well they'd just turned into an industry by then. But they're seemingly fire proof. You know that in the event of a nuclear strike, they'll still have an album out the following October, and it'll still sound exactly the same as Heathern Chemistry, only more so.

sarramkrop 05.20.2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koolthing78
It's interesting that of the people who acknowledge liking a few Oasis songs, "Champagne Supernova" is almost always mentioned as being one of them. For me, that was the song that sealed the deal as far as hating them. "Don't Look Back in Anger"--while being rather derivative--was not bad for me at a time I was still forming my musical tastes. But every time Champagne "Supernover" (god, that annoyed me) came on the radio, I knew it was going to be, like, 6 minutes until something else would come on. I just didn't feel like it was interesting or good enough to warrant going on for as long as it did. But to each his own.

Yeah, Champagne Supernova is a long yawn. Why all the sudden discussion about Oasis, anyway?

demonrail666 05.20.2008 01:57 PM

Champagne Supernova is a quality tune. It's one of the few post E Rock n Roll records that actually makes me feel like I've just dropped one - albeit a shit smacky one, bought off some dodgy ragga in Tottenham.

✌➬ 05.20.2008 02:01 PM

I think I'll put some Oasis.