Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

ilduclo 09.05.2015 02:04 PM

I think Pahluniak is one of the worst excuses for a writer ever.

I'm going to see this this week and expect it to be magnificent

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.05.2015 02:56 PM

I like Chuck's ideas but yeah, his actual prose and particularly dialogue is terrible. And i say this having read all of his books

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.05.2015 04:18 PM

Fuck this movie 12 Years a Slave..

Fuck this movie.
Fuck this movie.

Severian 09.06.2015 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I like Chuck's ideas but yeah, his actual prose and particularly dialogue is terrible. And i say this having read all of his books

I've only read Fight Club and Survivor, and a bit of his short fiction, like the aforementioned Tyler Durden story.

I am not a fan of his writing either. He appeals to the same crowd that Brent Easton Ellis appealed to in the 1980's. Young, rich, privileged, white urban lushes. That's not to say either writer is bad... Ellis is much better of course... But what irritates me about Palahniuk is the repetitive style, the constant cynicism and the pomposity of those short abstract declaratives... I am ----'s [body part]"... "I am [Nihilism]'s [self-appointed generational spokesman]."

It's been a long time since I've thought much about the guy, and I don't think much about him now. But I do think Fight Club was a good book with an excellent story that was turned into a fan-goddamntastic film.

!@#$%! 09.06.2015 03:40 PM

i read choke and lullaby and found them entertaining. definitely not high literature, but entertaining enough. then i made the mistake of buying "haunted" at an airport. what an unmitigated piece of shit (2nd time i say that this week i think).

fincher is a decent enough director though.

!@#$%! 09.06.2015 03:42 PM

i read choke and lullaby and found them entertaining. definitely not high literature, but entertaining enough, and i even thought choke had a kind of morality about the necessity of freaks and outcasts to band together. "punk," in a way. then i made the mistake of buying "haunted" at an airport. what an unmitigated piece of shit (2nd time i say that this week/thread i think). haven't been able to touch him since.

fincher is a decent enough director though. movie came out alright. for my taste most of the credit goes to edward norton though-- he's the one memorable thing about it when you look back.

Toilet & Bowels 09.06.2015 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
I'm going to see this this week and expect it to be magnificent

How was ir?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.06.2015 06:07 PM

I think Survivor is the best.. it plays most into Chuck's style and usual themes. That being said, while i think his writing is not particularly good, i feel his ideas and imagination are original enough to merit reading. As was said, high literature its not, but its still more imaginative than the usual pulp fiction on the best seller lists

LifeDistortion 09.07.2015 01:51 PM

I myself do like his early novels. I think Survivor is my favorite but really like Invisible Monsters as well. His first three novels are in my opinion his best, I've read Choke and Lullaby and was not as into them and it's been quite some time since I've returned to reading any Palahniuk, but Fight Club 2 does have my curiosity at least.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.07.2015 02:57 PM

I liked this flick. He should've kept the money though.. the ending wasn't too bad, i kind of liked how they randomly met again as it seemed the movie was going for "fresh start"

!@#$%! 09.08.2015 01:32 AM

A PROPHET

french movie about an arab kid in prison

not very appealing description i know but holy fuck turned out to be a great movie

demonrail666 09.08.2015 03:05 AM

Left Behind - The Trilogy

Based on a series of evangelical christian novels about the rapture and tribulation. I'm not an evangelical Christian (or a Christian at all) but that whole thing sort of fascinates me.

Hollywood remade the first one with Nicholas Cage but downplayed the Christian angle and tried to turn it into an action/disaster movie. In these, though, the religion's pushed firmly to the forefront. Lots of scenes where really clean looking American people, who all look like shopping channel presenters, take time out to pray, and smile knowingly whenever god's mentioned. The head of the UN (a Russian) is portrayed as the anti-Christ and his plan to create a single economy is presented as some kind of commie/satanic plot. Christianity as conspiracy theory.

Crap but brilliant at the same time.

ilduclo 09.08.2015 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
How was ir?

haven't seen it yet, have to go up to the big citay to see it, we don't get shows like that in Tiny Town. I expect it will be on par with Songs from the 2nd Floor and the rest of his oeuvre, which I think are some of the best and funniest social commentaries ever done.

Hey, just watched this the other night. Omar, man o man, what a good movie. A real fine combination of a great tragic story, good acting and dialog, and surprises and plot twists. One of my favorite movies in a long, long time.

Also didn't hurt at all to look at her:

Rob Instigator 09.08.2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Based on a series of evangelical christian novels about the rapture and tribulation. I'm not an evangelical Christian (or a Christian at all) but that whole thing sort of fascinates me.

Hollywood remade the first one with Nicholas Cage but downplayed the Christian angle and tried to turn it into an action/disaster movie. In these, though, the religion's pushed firmly to the forefront. Lots of scenes where really clean looking American people, who all look like shopping channel presenters, take time out to pray, and smile knowingly whenever god's mentioned. The head of the UN (a Russian) is portrayed as the anti-Christ and his plan to create a single economy is presented as some kind of commie/satanic plot. Christianity as conspiracy theory.

have you seen OMEGA CODE???? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203408/

demonrail666 09.08.2015 10:52 AM

No, but having just read about it it seems like just what i'm in the mood for.

One review described it as 'shockingly incompetent'.

Can't wait.

Thanks!

Rob Instigator 09.08.2015 10:57 AM

SHOCKINGLY incompetent.

h8kurdt 09.08.2015 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

I read the first book of that/ and for the most part I was actually enjoying it. Then the ending happened and refused to even consider the second one.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.08.2015 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
have you seen OMEGA CODE???? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203408/

Toilet & Bowels 09.08.2015 03:19 PM

Watched Abel Ferrera's new film about the last two days of the life of Pier Poalo Pasolini, with Willem Dafoe as Pasolini. It was quite watchable, liked it more than I tend to like Ferrara's movies (but not as much as Welcome to New York) and it has one of the best orgy scenes I've ever seen. Willem Dafoe's wife is in it and she has the hottest eyebrows of all time.

Anywho, the film left me almost none the wiser about Pasolini. But it did make me read his wikipedia page, turns out he was quite the man about town.

demonrail666 09.09.2015 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I read the first book of that/ and for the most part I was actually enjoying it. Then the ending happened and refused to even consider the second one.

Same here. I got about half way through then gave up, but I couldn't shake the fascination so when I found out about the films I jumped on them.