Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

LifeDistortion 10.13.2008 03:29 AM

"Somebody Up There Likes Me" on TCM.

_slavo_ 10.13.2008 03:32 AM

"Battle in Seattle"

a pretty good movie, surprised me quite a bit in a good way.

viewtiful_alan 10.13.2008 12:15 PM

9/10
God damn this movie was heavy.

afterthefact 10.13.2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan

9/10
God damn this movie was heavy.

I used to love this movie when I was about 15, back in my gangsta rap phase. It's still a good movie, but I see it differently than I did then, for obvious reasons :)

neptuneg 10.13.2008 12:25 PM

I just saw Religulous.

viewtiful_alan 10.13.2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
I used to love this movie when I was about 15, back in my gangsta rap phase. It's still a good movie, but I see it differently than I did then, for obvious reasons :)

Well its clearly trying to demonize that lifestyle, I'm actually kind of confused that people would think otherwise..

afterthefact 10.13.2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Well its clearly trying to demonize that lifestyle, I'm actually kind of confused that people would think otherwise..

Exactly, the movie is showing how horrible that lifestyle was, but people who are all into gangsta rap (like myself, at 15) thought it was cool and that was how cool people lived.

There, I just admitted I usedto be an idiot. Happy?

:)

viewtiful_alan 10.13.2008 01:09 PM

Haha oh yes, ecstatic.
Nah its a cool movie in several ways, I can get it. LIke all the idiots who dont get a clockwork orange, and think that movie glamourizes being a thug XD.

Was it just me or is menace really similar to american history x? or maybe its the other way around.

Silent Dan Speaks 10.13.2008 03:35 PM

I watched Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Prince of Space over the weekend. Good stuff.

tw2113 10.13.2008 03:44 PM

the dark knight

Rob Instigator 10.13.2008 04:17 PM

they had a paul newman marathon on TCM this sunday. watched HUD. sleepy but allright

afterthefact 10.13.2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Haha oh yes, ecstatic.
Nah its a cool movie in several ways, I can get it. LIke all the idiots who dont get a clockwork orange, and think that movie glamourizes being a thug XD.

Was it just me or is menace really similar to american history x? or maybe its the other way around.

I can see some similarities there. The whole "guy in a situation that he shouldn't be in and almost makes it out but then gets killed by the same lifestyle that he was trying to get away from" idea.

RdTv 10.13.2008 07:24 PM

Great movie. Maybe kinda slow for some people, but the fact that it takes place in Brazil during the 1970 world cup more than made up for it.

samuel 10.13.2008 09:30 PM

Quarantine

I guess it was alright.

I also saw Body of Lies a week ago... free sneak preview at the university. It was good.

atsonicpark 10.13.2008 09:58 PM

I bet Quarantine sucks. [Rec] was pretty decent in parts though.

I have just been watching documentaries.. my kid could paint that, going to pieces: rise and fall of slasher films, sick: the bob flannegan story, etc.

noisereductions 10.14.2008 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I bet Quarantine sucks. [Rec] was pretty decent in parts though.

I have just been watching documentaries.. my kid could paint that, going to pieces: rise and fall of slasher films, sick: the bob flannegan story, etc.

GOING TO PIECES was pretty good. The only film they mention that I havent seen is THE PROWLER. That one's tough to come by. But I was glad they mentioned THE BURNING. One of my all time favs.

atsonicpark 10.14.2008 07:33 AM

I have the Prowler. It's alright. I've seen every film they mentioned... except the Burning! How weird is that? I have it queued on netflix though.

A scene at the sea: 7/10
Zatoichi: 7/10
At Close Range: 6/10
Feast II: 5/10 [fucking hilarious movie though]

fugazifan 10.14.2008 08:58 AM

time bandits=excellently fucked up.

while i was in the states these past few weeks (back home now) i bought
the aforementioned time bandits
once upon a time in the west
the wickerman
there will be blood
cheap boset of 4 spagetti western including death rides a horse and a few others

city of the living dead (which i have not recieved yet)

noisereductions 10.14.2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

I have the Prowler. It's alright. I've seen every film they mentioned... except the Burning! How weird is that? I have it queued on netflix though.

A scene at the sea: 7/10
Zatoichi: 7/10
At Close Range: 6/10
Feast II: 5/10 [fucking hilarious movie though]

Damn. THE BURNING is amazing. I don't wanna overhype it, but I love it. But yeah, I've seen (and own, I think) every other film mentioned. Slashers are by far my all time favorite genre.

I'm not too interested in FEAST II, because I pretty much hated the first one.

noisereductions 10.14.2008 11:24 AM

I should note that the "raft scene" is the best in THE BURNING, so it's sort of unfortunate that they show so much of it in the documentary, because then you're missing that element of surprise.

The same can be said of them showing so much of the "car scene" from MANIAC. Though MANIAC is effing tense throughout.

afterthefact 10.14.2008 11:31 AM

My daughter LOVES this movie, and she saw it at Kroger last night and it was only 10 bucks, so I got it for her. I had actually not seen it before last night, and for being what it is, I guess it's not bad.

If anything, maybe Sadie will learn all the words to the songs so I don't have to hear her walking around just singing "Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow....."

atsonicpark 10.14.2008 11:48 AM

yes. Maniac is by far my favorite horror film.

noisereductions 10.14.2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

yes. Maniac is by far my favorite horror film.

Really? Wow. I like it a lot, but it's not even in my top 20 or so. But I can see liking it so much. It's really... well... scary, I think.

atsonicpark 10.14.2008 12:15 PM

I enjoy movies that focus very specifically on one character and only one character. Maniac, El Topo, Taxi Driver, etc...

Maniac and City of the Living Dead/Gates of Hell and Dead Alive and Tenebre are my favorite horror films.

noisereductions 10.14.2008 12:33 PM

Dead Alive is classic. I've seen a LOT of Argento, but not Tenebre for some reason. And I havent seen City of the Living Dead strangely enough. Hmm. Weird. Weirder that I've seen BOTH sequels to City...

My wife and I have literally hundreds of horror films.

afterthefact 10.14.2008 12:47 PM

I remember seeing the cover of Dead/Alive at the rental place all the time when I was growing up, but I never really watched it. Then about 3 or 4 years ago We were in the rental place and they were playing on the TV's there. Subsequently, later that week, the two guys there got fired. They probably should have been too, cause they seemed stoned and they didn't have enough sense to turn this movie off, even when a mother and her two young children came in (I assume they are probably the ones who told on them). That being said, I am glad they played it because I probably never would have bothered to see it if it wasn't for that.

jimbrim 10.14.2008 01:07 PM

Dont watch this, a complete waste of £6.

noisereductions 10.14.2008 01:14 PM

jimbrim... what is THAT?

atsonicpark 10.14.2008 01:17 PM

I watched Dead Alive in school. I had it in my backpack. One day in health class there was a substitute teacher, and I asked if I could show the movie. The class was almost all girls. Most were grossed out by it, some laughed, and one chick seemed really fond of me after I showed it. She was kinda cute. But yeah I just showed the last half hour and explained what was going on and why these things were happening and such. One of my proudest moments!

HaydenAsche 10.14.2008 01:24 PM

The Toxic Avenger.

Classic.

atsonicpark 10.14.2008 01:25 PM

Yes... I own 85 Troma films and have talked to Lloyd in person 3 times. I'm a huge Troma fan.

jimbrim 10.14.2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
jimbrim... what is THAT?

It's a film I watched at the cinema last night, it was total shite so don't bother watching it. It's basically about a group of smug bell-ends trying to save the world, I walked out after an hour so I didn't catch the end.

davenotdead 10.14.2008 01:36 PM

jimbrim, wtf is that from in yr sig? children's show?

HaydenAsche 10.14.2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Yes... I own 85 Troma films and have talked to Lloyd in person 3 times. I'm a huge Troma fan.

I just bought Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD, Tromeo and Juliet, and the Toxic Avenger a few days ago. I'd only seen the Toxic Avenger before on tv. Awesome movies. Me and my friends are waiting to get money to buy some more of the internet.

jimbrim 10.14.2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenotdead
jimbrim, wtf is that from in yr sig? children's show?

Apparentely it's somthing called Tarako - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_UeunJLzilU. Really strange.

noisereductions 10.14.2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Troma's great. I have a good deal of them as well.

mil_pl 10.14.2008 03:13 PM

in tv:

fugazifan 10.14.2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

toxic avenger is a masterpeice. i need to see more troma...
i saw death rides a horse
amazing

fugazifan 10.14.2008 08:02 PM

i just saw do the right thing.
*SPOILER ALERT*
apparently spike lee said that if you dont understand why they rioted than you are a racist. if thats the case than spike lee can go fuck himself. if anything i saw this as an anti black movie.

it was wrong for the police to kill radio raheem. but sal did nothing wrong. he was fine with everybody, but since it was his shop he had a right to do whatever he wanted to do in it. he was italian, so he did not have to have pics of black men on his wall. and he didnt have to listen to loud music. it was justified that he broke the radio because RR and the other guy were being obnoxious and deserved to get their asses kicked.
the fact that he used the N word does not make him racist, it just means that he was provoked to a snapping point.

and i was fine with the movie, especially with the MLKjr quote at the end, because that made the movie make sense. but then he went and added that silly malcolm X quote, which made the movie kind of pointless

punkaspoo 10.14.2008 09:03 PM

I liked it a lot.