Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

greedrex 11.16.2008 05:06 AM

thx Al. You're very huh rapid....

al shabbray 11.16.2008 05:10 AM

its a link I received from nicfit a few days ago, I just remmebered it :)

btw:
I need to correct myself. there is still something I cant get into, but there is a lot of good stuff too
"shade of the moor" is my favourite so far

Toxa 11.16.2008 05:45 PM

Jesus Lizard/TFUL282/Velocity Girl "Clear the Room" compilation, hand numbered 7"
Rod Poole/Sasha Bogdanowitch "Mind's Island" CD
Polar Goldie Cats "Polar Night Stress" CD

SYRFox 11.17.2008 12:30 PM

The Earl Of Slander 11.17.2008 01:43 PM

David Bowie - Heroes (vinyl)

Pavement - Westing (By Musket and Sextant) (cd)

The Earl Of Slander 11.17.2008 01:43 PM

Charlie Patton - Screamin' and Hollerin' the Blues: The Wonderful Worlds of Charlie Patton (7CDs, plus huge liners, + a freakin' JOHN FAHEY BOOK)

The Dead C - DR503/The Sun Stabbed EP (2LP)

Boris - Smile (2lp)

fugazifan 11.17.2008 02:06 PM

i didnt exactly buy these, the library was giving them away
all on vinyl
stravinsky-rites of spring
some brahms/schubert record
stravinsky 's opera The rake progress, conducted by stravisky
and the coolest one
karlheinz stockhausen-momente (65 version, nonsuch records, )

noisereductions 11.17.2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
i didnt exactly buy these, the library was giving them away
all on vinyl
stravinsky-rites of spring
some brahms/schubert record
stravinsky 's opera The rake progress, conducted by stravisky
and the coolest one
karlheinz stockhausen-momente (65 version, nonsuch records, )

score!

fugazifan 11.17.2008 02:41 PM

yeah i know! they had a lot of other records there, but these seemed to be the best, and least common. the day vefore they got a big boxful of donations, so i figure that these are the double. my friend works at the media section of the library and i saw him sorting the new records out and i saw a henry cowell piano record, that looks really old. but they didnt give that away:-(
i hope that they give away his primitive music of the world collectio. that would be a nice thing to have around

Sonic Youth 37 11.17.2008 03:11 PM

Full Bloom - Soft Circle

viewtiful_alan 11.17.2008 05:00 PM

Saturday when I managed to get away from my grandma's house ( I was stuck there all weekend)

Everyneurotic 11.17.2008 11:49 PM

tw2113 11.18.2008 12:02 AM

Recovery Position by Miss The Occupier

Florya 11.18.2008 04:56 AM

Two Murcof albums - 'Cosmos' & 'The Versailles Sessions'

ZEROpumpkins 11.18.2008 05:10 AM

Jawbreaker - Bivouac
Bought it like two weeks ago but i've been so broke, not used to having such a slow income of tunes.

noisereductions 11.18.2008 08:33 AM

viewtiful, how's the Juve? I still don't have any of his solo's. I plan on tracking down the 3 Hot Boys albums first.

Thor Anders Aase 11.18.2008 09:03 AM

Darkthrone and Satyricon

viewtiful_alan 11.18.2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
viewtiful, how's the Juve? I still don't have any of his solo's. I plan on tracking down the 3 Hot Boys albums first.

This weekend I found let em burn and get it how you live. Dont know why I didn't get one of them. Oh well.

Tha G code is actually really good. I'd reccomend Tha G-code and then 400 degreez. Tha g-code is a better intro to him, but 400 degreez is his best. Its kind of like Zappa in that aspect. We're only in it for the money might be his best, but it isn't really where you should jump in.
You gotta kind of get used to juve's approach to rapping.

Pookie 11.18.2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
Saturday when I managed to get away from my grandma's house ( I was stuck there all weekend)

Your grandma's got terrible taste in music.
Get rid.

viewtiful_alan 11.18.2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Get rid.

one emoticon for you: :fuckyou:

Pookie 11.18.2008 06:05 PM

And one for you:

Norma J 11.18.2008 06:16 PM

conor oberst
the bronx
empire of the sun (great album. you should all check them out!)

noisereductions 11.18.2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Get rid.

Pretty closed minded.

Pookie 11.18.2008 06:34 PM

That's between me and his grandma.

batreleaser 11.19.2008 10:11 AM

Been catching up on Prurient releases, hes has about 30 this year alone. I just bought "Arrowhead" and "Cocaine Death" which both are great and add leverage to the fact that Prurient is one of America's greatest Noise wizards. I wanna hear his new black metal band, because "Cocaine Death" is the best Black Metal embracing Noise release I've ever heard.

batreleaser 11.19.2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

That's a good album.

RdTv 11.19.2008 10:32 AM

Bought the re-issued 2xLP with the poster.

noisereductions 11.19.2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RdTv

Bought the re-issued 2xLP with the poster.

I'm not going to be able to rep you, yet. But God bless you. Great, great, great album.

uhler 11.19.2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

good

viewtiful_alan 11.19.2008 05:02 PM

Last night at target:

And not technically an album, but this to (a musical purchase nonetheless)

noisereductions 11.19.2008 05:26 PM

LAX and PAPERTRAIL are 2 of my favorite hip hop albums of the year. Very different (obviously), but both really good.

I want that Pumpkins DVD. How is it? I still havent found AMERICAN GOTHIC.

viewtiful_alan 11.19.2008 05:36 PM

Amazon has it on cd pretty cheap.
I've only watched the documentary disc so far but that was really interesting. Even if it makes Billy Corgan just seem like just the weirdest, most akward rockstar ever. So on that side its deffinitley reccomended.
I'll get back to you on the concert part.

Yeah I only just finished LAX, haven't listened to paper trail yet. Its a really good album, I just wish he wouldn't rely on guests so much. Of 16 non skit tracks, only 3 dont have guests. Thats birdman kind of shit. Its my first game album, I think I'll be picking up some of his others.

noisereductions 11.19.2008 05:38 PM

Oh man, you don't have DOCTORS ADVOCATE? That was the album that really made me love him. Then I went back and got the first album and started checking out his mixtapes. DOCTORS is just so fucked up. He comes across as so... human on there. He contradicts himself left and right. It's weird. But I heard it and was totally like "wow, this is like hearing 2Pac again."

Beat-wise PAPERTRAIL wins out of the 2 you got. The beats on PAPERTRAIL are really solid beginning to end. But The Game is definitely a captivating artist.

viewtiful_alan 11.19.2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Oh man, you don't have DOCTORS ADVOCATE? That was the album that really made me love him. Then I went back and got the first album and started checking out his mixtapes. DOCTORS is just so fucked up. He comes across as so... human on there. He contradicts himself left and right. It's weird. But I heard it and was totally like "wow, this is like hearing 2Pac again."

Beat-wise PAPERTRAIL wins out of the 2 you got. The beats on PAPERTRAIL are really solid beginning to end. But The Game is definitely a captivating artist.

He really is. He seems dangerous but kind of repentant at the same time? Deffinitley interesting in any case.
he deffinitley sounds a bit like nas though.

noisereductions 11.19.2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

He really is. He seems dangerous but kind of repentant at the same time? Deffinitley interesting in any case.
he deffinitley sounds a bit like nas though.

Yeah, the 2Pac reference I made is because The Game has the same sort of duality in his lyrics that I've always loved about Pac. If you think of Pac as having his two sides: "I Get Around" vs "Keep Ya Head Up" or thuggish gangsta rapper vs pentive poet. The Game has that same sort of humanistic element where he might spit the most ridiculous threats on one track, but then drunkinly cry out because he's upset that his mentor (Dre) has all but abandoned him. The pinnacle of this complexity is evident on DOCTORS ADVOCATE, which is why it's a stunning and necessary album in his discography. But even on the new album there's like the track with Cube where The Game is violent and agresive and then the track with Lil Wayne which is so solemn and mournful. I think The Game is often overlooked, but he's far more well rounded than the G-Unit he left behind.

viewtiful_alan 11.19.2008 07:08 PM

Yeah. I'm glad he disassociated with 50 cent. 50 is a fucking joke. Any 50 cent you like, is probably completley beat driven. You can tell he has absolutley no interest in actual rapping.

noisereductions 11.19.2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Yeah. I'm glad he disassociated with 50 cent. 50 is a fucking joke. Any 50 cent you like, is probably completley beat driven. You can tell he has absolutley no interest in actual rapping.

I totally agree. He can sort of fake it, but it's very un-interesting. The only tracks I really liked were "Ayo Technology" and "I Get Money" both of which were because of their amazing beats. I never liked G-Unit, though I can deal with THE DOCUMENTARY (The Game album that's a a G-Unit release) as well as Young Buck's STRAIGHT OUTTA CASHVILLE. Buck is definitely not as talented or interesting as The Game, but I think a lot of his stuff is sort of good fun summer rap.

stu666 11.20.2008 11:06 AM

remastered and expanded

greedrex 11.20.2008 11:34 AM

^^ + 1 point for Fursaxa, Stu
Do you dig Spires that in the sunset rise also?
amazing muzak, totally disconnected.

stu666 11.20.2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
Stu
Do you dig Spires that in the sunset rise also?
amazing muzak, totally disconnected.

i haven'e heard them so i'll go check 'em out, thanks greedrex.