Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   MPP===best album of all time (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28682)

davenotdead 01.06.2009 01:43 PM

i think it was

Derek 01.06.2009 01:45 PM

I'm going to see AC on the 13th. It'll be fun.

Rob Instigator 01.06.2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I go by last.fm personally (which probably represents only 25% of the actual listeners and isn't scientific in the least but is a good representation of how popular a band is):

14,100,812 plays (356,778 listeners)

Sonic Youth's... 18,410,336 plays (638,221 listeners)

Do the (weird) math.

I live in a small ass town and every single one of my friends, with a few exceptions, knows who Animal Collective is (not because of me). People I know in Florida with tastes that don't often stray the least bit outside of popular culture... know who Animal Collective is. One town over, there is a college town which apparently is having an Animal Collective listening party tonight. I gurantee almost that whole town knows who Animal Collective is. In this age of last.fm, youtube, myspace, college and satellite radio, and good old fashioned magazine coverage.... LOTS of people know who Animal Collective is (are?). Just saying.

knowing WHO someone is do3es not mean they like them, or buy their albums, or have ever even listened to a song, plus every fucking poser in the world will namedrop the "it"band of the moment.

does not LastFM play, like pandora, anything that their softw3are deems "similar" to what you ahve already enjoyed? the "plays" of AC mean nothing.

SYRFox 01.06.2009 01:47 PM

Yeah! They're awesome live

davenotdead 01.06.2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
does not LastFM play, like pandora, anything that their softw3are deems "similar" to what you ahve already enjoyed? the "plays" of AC mean nothing.

no, it "scrobbles" the tracks directly from users' players/ipods... and they have to be correctly tagged or it won't even work properly

acousticrock87 01.06.2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

what progress? this is MUSIC we are talking about. rock music nonetheless. None of it is groundbreaking, really, not even the most freaky shit for it is all deeply overshadowed by the thousands of years of music previous. what difference are you expecting bands to make? it is entertainment

I don't mean AC is groundbreaking at all, but for it to be accepted by most people is progressive. The way I see it, there are a lot of bands that would be accepted by pop culture through exposure, but since the public doesn't get much, they think it's "weird"--even relatively tame bands, like AC and Deerhoof. But with more exposure--progress in the context of "pop music"--underground bands with a limited audience can start to get recognized.

atsonicpark 01.06.2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

knowing WHO someone is do3es not mean they like them, or buy their albums, or have ever even listened to a song, plus every fucking poser in the world will namedrop the "it"band of the moment.

You're funny.... even if you often don't know what you're talking about.

wellcharge 01.07.2009 08:42 AM

has anyone seen this on vinyl yet? does the cover actually look all insane?

atsonicpark 01.07.2009 08:44 AM

Oh man, it's off da chain. It's insane in the membrane.

wellcharge 01.07.2009 08:50 AM

when you say off da chain, does it like, undo da chain and struggle free, or does it totally destroy da chain?

atsonicpark 01.07.2009 08:58 AM

It's making my eyes go wild $%$^(@T(@T(@_($T_$@#(TW

davenotdead 01.07.2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge
has anyone seen this on vinyl yet? does the cover actually look all insane?

well, it still produces the "moving" effect, but i wish it was shiny or something.

wellcharge 01.07.2009 02:40 PM

shininess would be a plus, but i think the album is pretty decent and i might actually buy it if i see it

davenotdead 01.07.2009 02:41 PM

good man

Kylerobert 01.07.2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I mean, this comes down to a certain ethic that you should apply to underground music, which is something discussed on this forum in various forms. If the leaks concerned mainstream bands that have other means of making money, I wouldn't give a shit. If the same attitude you apply to more obscure and 'difficult' bands, though, you just contribute to putting them out of business, or indeed making their existence more difficult.

shut up

sarramkrop 01.07.2009 04:48 PM

i will, if that makes you happy. i promise not to say that animal collective are a shit band anymore.

Toilet & Bowels 01.07.2009 08:32 PM

animal collective sound like hippies who are scared of taking drugs

davenotdead 01.07.2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels

SYRFox 01.08.2009 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels

this is so wrong

atsonicpark 01.08.2009 01:35 AM