Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

demonrail666 03.24.2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i wanted to answer him too but melly has left the building (he said temporarily, anyway)

watched lars von trier's medea which is an homage to carl theodor dreyer (it was his screenplay that "von" trier shot). i think it was made for tv, and the dvd looked horrible, not sure if it was a lousy transfer or that's how the original looked (washed out, fucked) but i have to say THE COMPOSITION OF THE SHOTS WAS AMAZING. incredible visual imagination on the part of lvt (or maybe he just ripped off dreyer). in any case-- YES, CINEMA. that is the fucking language of moving pictures. god damn i was blown away by something that looked like an old worn out and faded umax tape from a video archive. simply incredible.

i cant find my favorite shots on the internet but there were some incdebibe shots underwater and shots with projections behind it and such fucking visual poetry, it was incredible.

Have you seen Pasolini's version of Medea? That spoiled me from liking any other one. LVT's version is visually brilliant but Pasolini's is on another level altogether. Funnily enough Pasolini was as obsessed with Dreyer as LVT is but Pasolini for me transcended him while LVT's still just a fan. Only in comparison, I love LVT, but when he treads on Pasolini territory he gets put into sharp context. Like trying to do The Satyricon after Fellini.

!@#$%! 03.24.2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Have you seen Pasolini's version of Medea? That spoiled me from liking any other one. LVT's version is visually brilliant but Pasolini's is on another level altogether. Funnily enough Pasolini was as obsessed with Dreyer as LVT is but Pasolini for me transcended him while LVT's still just a fan. Only in comparison, I love LVT, but when he treads on Pasolini territory he gets put into sharp context. Like trying to do The Satyricon after Fellini.

i remember having watched it years ago. a lot of terracottas and mud buildings, i think. staged on a hillside?

my problem with pasolini has always been that he puts me to sleep. i walked out of the first movie i saw by him, the gospel according to st matthew-- maybe it got better later but what i watched reminded me of religious programming during catholic holidays in my childhood and i could suffer it no longer.

the only thing by him i ever saw completely was salò, and i only did it after extensive preparation and only by installments and i had to re-watch some parts. he's so slow he puts me to sleep every time. so, if i can guess, i probably fell asleep during his medea, which is why i have only the blurriest recollection of it.

antonioni's slowness somehow i can handle, but pasolini does me in every time. finishing salò was worth it, but it wasn't so much that i loved it, it's rather that it was a valuable educational experience on the psychology of power and domination.

also, i think pasolini was more writer than film guy-- or more theoretician even (wait, wasn't he a poet first?). the visual imagination i saw in LVT's "medea" shows the work of someone who is a filmmaker first and someone trying to make a point only second. in other words, seems to me pasolini dreamed in concepts and lvt dreams in pictures-- or maybe it was carl theodor dreyer who did and lvt just ripped him off. i need to see some CTD soon.

Rob Instigator 03.24.2014 02:02 PM

I have seen Tyler Perry's version of Medea.

sonic sphere 03.29.2014 09:52 AM

Rob Instigator 03.29.2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost

(helter skelter)

http://smokinghotcigarchick.com/about-cigar-chick

Rob Instigator 03.29.2014 11:42 AM

I liked dread a lot.

an evening with viewtiful 03.31.2014 05:18 PM

8/10

Diesel 04.01.2014 11:07 AM

Watched A film unfinished. Utterly depressing which is a preffered flavour at the moment. http://www.afilmunfinished.com/film.html

EVOLghost 04.01.2014 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

wat\??

That girl is gorgeous btw.....

Rob Instigator 04.01.2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
wat\??

That girl is gorgeous btw.....

a friend of mine. reminds me of the girl in the poster you posted.

tesla69 04.01.2014 12:32 PM

John Carpenter's Vampires. Made back in the 90's before the current crop of twilight and their wannabee. James Woods is a real sonnovabitch "C'mon, padre, I'll get you drunk and laid", and Sheryl Lee from Twin Peaks has a lead role as a whore turned vampire. I've liked this since I saw it in the theater and fpicked up a $1 DVD copy I found Sat.

!@#$%! 04.01.2014 01:14 PM

THE HIDDEN FORTRESS

god damn what a movie! lots of john ford in it (horse/horse/horses/horses)

just released on blu-ray, magnificent transfer, holy fuck.

Rob Instigator 04.01.2014 01:15 PM

Hidden Fortress is good stuff wish I could see it on a large screen

!@#$%! 04.01.2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Hidden Fortress is good stuff wish I could see it on a large screen

i have a 42" panny plasma (they don't make them anymore) and a $100 BR player, which have been a lot of bang for the buck with the netflix subscription. (the tv is 4 years old so right now it breaks down to $150/yr so far.) all of this jacked to the stereo (no home theatre, just stereo) makes it "real" and awesome. i don't miss going to the movies, which was always a pain because of people and terrible concessions, parking, etc etc., plus 3D is shit.

Rob Instigator 04.01.2014 01:30 PM

I need to invest in a giant TV so I can be modern

demonrail666 04.01.2014 01:31 PM

Been on a bit of a non-horror Hammer marathon the past few nights:

She (7/10)
Vengeance of She (5/10)
One Million Years BC (7/10)
Prehistoric Women (6/10)

!@#$%! 04.01.2014 01:33 PM

ooooh! raquel!!!

!@#$%! 04.01.2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

I need to invest in a giant TV so I can be modern

im a rural primitive!

plasmas are on their way out though, sadly. they have the best picture for the money.

http://www.extremetech.com/electroni...play-supremacy

evollove 04.01.2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
THE HIDDEN FORTRESS

I forget. Is that the one that totally rips off Star Wars?

!@#$%! 04.01.2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
I forget. Is that the one that totally rips off Star Wars?

probably something. there was a george lucas supplement on the disc but i couldn't bother watching it. i see very little of it though except some vague shit about a princess. hidden fortress is super hilarious though.