Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

demonrail666 02.18.2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

jacques tati WAS A FUCKING GENIUS

this is my 2nd monsieur hulot movie-- first i watched his holiday move (les vacances de monsieur hulot). it was hilarious. "mon oncle" however is fucking SUPREME. it's just. damn. damn damn damn. wow.

Agreed. I suppose Mon Oncle is the better film but I love the overall feel of the more laid back, almost sleepy Vacances. It's a film I'd quite happily live in.

Speaking of France, last night watched ...

French Connection II

Some nice scenes showing the seediness of Marseille but overall this is one of those totally unnecessary sequels.

!@#$%! 02.19.2013 10:47 AM

@demonyo

yes vacances is delicious, and hilarious, but the social satire in mon oncle is what takes it to another level i think.

haven't seen FC2. thanks for the warning.

and did you or did you not finish the wire??

GravitySlips 02.19.2013 12:06 PM

Network

Really good film - that's the second Sidney Lumet I've seen, with Dog Day Afternoon being the other. I've enjoyed both, gonna seek out some more! The acting in Network is amazing all round.

Rob Instigator 02.19.2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Super Fly

Probably the best of the Blaxploitation stuff I've seen so far.

"If you don;t have my money to me TONIGHT!!!" I love how he says this in Superfly.

dale_gribble 02.20.2013 12:00 AM

demonrail666 02.20.2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

@demonyo

yes vacances is delicious, and hilarious, but the social satire in mon oncle is what takes it to another level i think.

haven't seen FC2. thanks for the warning.

and did you or did you not finish the wire??

I'm still only on Season 3 of the Wire. I'm slowly trying to work my way through all of them but I get stuff sent randomly from a list so it can take ages.

And agree about Mon Oncle. Vacances is less ambitious but because of that it's a perfect feet up Sunday afternoon film. I could happily kill two hours watching either, though.

!@#$%! 02.20.2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

I'm still only on Season 3 of the Wire.

you gonna get confused seeing bunk and lester in 2 places at the same time!

demonrail666 02.20.2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

you gonna get confused seeing bunk and lester in 2 places at the same time!

You mean because of Treme? Yeah, that got some getting used to.

Watched last night:

Summer of Sam

On paper it should be impossible to fuck this movie up but Spike Lee was totally the wrong person to make it.

Boys In Company C

I'm amazed Quentin Tarantino hasn't tried to remake this.

demonrail666 02.22.2013 01:47 PM

Tue Grit (2010)

One of the better recent Westerns. It's hard to really call this a remake as it's really just another adaptation of the same novel.

Rob Instigator 02.22.2013 02:08 PM

The cable guy is not coming to our new place until tomorrow so me and the wifey caught this on the TV last night.

5/10 had some very cool, crazy parts, and some odd bits, but it was better than anything else on the boob tube...

!@#$%! 02.22.2013 02:24 PM

Cheeto-- check out redbox and see if they carry something interesting in your area. You can book online and pick up at your convenience. Great for movie emergencies.

Rob Instigator 02.22.2013 02:32 PM

I am gonna grab SKYFALL from the Redbox for this weekend.

Rob Instigator 02.22.2013 02:42 PM

I thought it was a cool flick, for a TV broadcast. It was made from a play which usually means decent dialogue.

marleypumpkin 02.23.2013 12:34 AM

!@#$%! 02.23.2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99

8/10

Didn't like it that much.

raising arizona is superhilarious and i love it.

agreed also on repo man-- it was once presented to me in the 90s as some sort of awesome thing by one of those cultist fans, and while i think i liked the sountrack i thought the story as a whole was b-movie shit-- so much so that i only barely recall it-- i just remember it was full of 80s themes like vietnam vets and aliens and nuclear stuff and shit like that. it has probably aged horribly.

marleypumpkin 02.24.2013 09:54 AM

demonrail666 02.24.2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

raising arizona is superhilarious and i love it.

agreed also on repo man-- it was once presented to me in the 90s as some sort of awesome thing by one of those cultist fans, and while i think i liked the sountrack i thought the story as a whole was b-movie shit-- so much so that i only barely recall it-- i just remember it was full of 80s themes like vietnam vets and aliens and nuclear stuff and shit like that. it has probably aged horribly.

Yeah, I've never really been into Repo Man, either. I thought it was just me.

sonic sphere 02.24.2013 05:13 PM

Rob Instigator 02.25.2013 08:51 AM

Repo Man rules. you sad sad people....

!@#$%! 02.25.2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

You mean because of Treme? Yeah, that got some getting used to.

i'm still having a hard time getting used to seeing [***] carcetti's smug face in "game of thrones"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Repo Man rules. you sad sad people....

but if you love the movie so much, then you don't need our validation, right? ;)