Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anyone else gotten their copy of the Eternal yet? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31774)

nancykitten 06.10.2009 05:39 PM

So only some of the Battery Park LP's are proper record sleeves, and the rest have just been printed and folded over? Strange that they'd do that.

pokkeherrie 06.10.2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancykitten
So only some of the Battery Park LP's are proper record sleeves, and the rest have just been printed and folded over? Strange that they'd do that.

I think people here just have different interpretations of which sleeves we're talking about.

1. the LP comes in a paper inner sleeve.

2. the actual "cover sleeve" is a fold paper, fold over the inner sleeve.

3. the fold paper "cover sleeve" then comes in your normal clear plastic outer sleeve.

Or maybe I'm wrong and some people really have a proper cardboard cover sleeve.

stu666 06.10.2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
all the clocks on the back say its 11:40....mean something? or maybe it was just the time the pics were taken.

awesome stuff...

yeah i was thinking about that too and trying to crack the code.... maybe it is meaningless?

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 06.10.2009 07:21 PM

A reference to the Doomsday clock?

Although the Doomsday clock is always 11:53.

I don't know.

Man I hope my copy gets here tomorrow.

jetengine 06.10.2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMartin
Hey, sorry if you were confused, but I feel that we were pretty clear about what was offered. I also feel that we went pretty far and wide with the news about the Buy Early Get Now promotion. Where do you live? What stores are you referring to? In other territories the BEGN promotion is a much newer concept that might not have run as smoothly.
Also Sonic Youth are not on Matador in Japan. They have a separate deal there that we have nothing to do with.

I just got in touch with the record store where I've been doing the majority of my (offline) business for more than 20 years: Fred's Records in St. John's, Newfoundland--the record store in the Atlantic Canadian region of 4 provinces; it's been in business about 40 years. Here's what they had to say about the Eternal/'Live Battery pre-order deal:

"The method that they wanted us to use to get the LPs to the
customer was convoluted and required us to order more product
than we can realistically sell. That borne in mind, the guy who
does the orders decided not to opt into the buy early, get stuff
program. It's a shame really. That being said, The Eternal is their
best work to date, IMHO."

Well, there you have it: Sonic Youth have ascended to musical Nirvana, the folks at Matador feed children to Moloch. Someone please write a sycophantic letter of apology to David Geffen, or otherwise let the bootlegging begin.

jennthebenn 06.10.2009 07:28 PM

John 11:40 Jesus said to her, "Did I not say to you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?"

Do you believe in rapture, babe.

pokkeherrie 06.10.2009 07:31 PM

I think it's got something to do with dragons fighting lions.

That's what I hope anyway.

HomelessArtist 06.10.2009 11:56 PM

11:40
Sonic Youth vibrations turned back the dooms day clock, so that we all have more time!

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 06.11.2009 11:23 AM

Man, checked my porch. UPS didn't show up early today. I've got a bad feeling about today. Like it's still not going to show up.

DaveMartin 06.11.2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetengine
I just got in touch with the record store where I've been doing the majority of my (offline) business for more than 20 years: Fred's Records in St. John's, Newfoundland--the record store in the Atlantic Canadian region of 4 provinces; it's been in business about 40 years. Here's what they had to say about the Eternal/'Live Battery pre-order deal:

"The method that they wanted us to use to get the LPs to the
customer was convoluted and required us to order more product
than we can realistically sell. That borne in mind, the guy who
does the orders decided not to opt into the buy early, get stuff
program. It's a shame really. That being said, The Eternal is their
best work to date, IMHO."

Well, there you have it: Sonic Youth have ascended to musical Nirvana, the folks at Matador feed children to Moloch. Someone please write a sycophantic letter of apology to David Geffen, or otherwise let the bootlegging begin.

Hey sorry about that, either Beggars Canada did not run the BEGN program like we had intended or maybe the store misunderstood how it was supposed to work. We don't always have as much control over those sort of things as we would like, but I will definitely bring this up and figure out if they had run the promotion like we did here in the US. So, once again, sorry that your store and ultimately you felt that this promotion was not worthwhile and hopefully in the future we can work things a bit smoother.

nancykitten 06.11.2009 12:09 PM

Maybe it's because really good, lengthy gigs always end at 11:40pm.

skipvacuum 06.11.2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMartin
Hey, sorry if you were confused, but I feel that we were pretty clear about what was offered. I also feel that we went pretty far and wide with the news about the Buy Early Get Now promotion. Where do you live? What stores are you referring to? In other territories the BEGN promotion is a much newer concept that might not have run as smoothly.
Also Sonic Youth are not on Matador in Japan. They have a separate deal there that we have nothing to do with.

i think it was explained quite clearly.i was kind of unhappy about the price when i signed up...until i got the records..i think the packaging on the LP's
is GREAT !......i do wish the bonus LP was in a nicer sleeve but compared to the Pavement BEGN LP and record store day release...the sleeve is awesome.
Hostess records sucks in my opinion...and anyone who knows me will agree with this statement "MATADOR RULES"

pantophobia 06.11.2009 04:20 PM

ah yes my package has arrived, waiting after work, such niceties

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 06.11.2009 04:43 PM

Mine's scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Alas! I'll get to listen to Live at Battery Park tomorrow!

reginald 06.11.2009 06:27 PM

I finally got mine (6-10) in the mail one day after advertised 'universal release' and think the cd is great ! My cd didn't quite fit in the "sleeve" it was inserted in, inside the outer cover. More of an observation than a complaint, I'm happy.

matt g 06.11.2009 09:03 PM

i bought the vinyl today. side 4 totally fucking rules.

Jeremy 06.12.2009 02:50 AM

Went to the local record store earlier and they had early copies of it. Score!

~Jeremy~

banditto1969 06.12.2009 08:58 PM

apparently nobody in Detroit did the pre-order thing because the record store gave me their promotional poster as well as the advertised swag.

So I think I scored bigtime.

radarmaker 06.13.2009 09:59 AM

Managed to pick up the live LP today, but my local indie store still hasn't received their allocation of the album proper. Ho hum.

Least the Battery Park disc is in a proper solid sleeve rather than a foldover whatsit like others have mentioned :) Looking at the earlier replies, I'm guessing the difference is a US / UK (or Europe?) thing - the rear sleeve of mine has Matador's London address.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 06.13.2009 11:17 AM

Got mine yesterday :D