Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   the constantly-bumped "great releases of 2009" thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29914)

SYRFox 05.05.2009 04:19 PM

the eponymous album from "10-20" is fantastic. fans of electronica ala autechre would totally enjoy it. highly recommanded!

chairman of the bored 05.05.2009 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vulva
Hate you all :(

haha shit...maybe ill be the first to listen! i liked runes humaines and alcest etc...i will seek it out

davenotdead 05.06.2009 01:11 AM

new album from The Field is good

atsonicpark 05.06.2009 09:51 AM

OHHH! Didn't know it was out yet! I love the Field!

noisereductions 05.06.2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
OHHH! Didn't know it was out yet! I love the Field!

Didnt know there was a new one either! FROM HERE... was excellent.

nicfit 05.06.2009 10:06 AM

Slangs - Lost EP
Slangs - Upset EP

not even kidding.

batreleaser 05.06.2009 01:56 PM

so, who's heard nothing people's "late night" yet, its better than "anonymous" i assure you, phenomenal sound.

DJ Rick 05.06.2009 02:38 PM

Awesome record....great reason to buy some real headphones...And the best cover of that Syd Barrett tune, too!

sarramkrop 05.06.2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
the jerkwave cassetes "black plague in mono" series is fucking phenomenal, i love this band he elks. that whole label is really great, lo fi synth punk has to be one of the greatest things ever.

Yes. They are what you say they are. I'm not always sure about this lo-fi thing with them, though, they wear their clothes the right way round naturally.

Decayed Rhapsody 05.06.2009 03:57 PM

Their cover of Cracked Actor is great, too, really fat fat guitar sound.

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 05.07.2009 12:32 PM

Can someone explain to me the whole The Field phenomenon (like 3 years after the fact)? I mean, I haven't listened to the new one yet, and the first one was okay and all, but I can't imagine anyone who's heard any minimal dance music before going nuts over this guy. It made no sense to me at the time why the indie community suddenly latched onto him, and it still makes no sense to me now.

atsonicpark 05.07.2009 12:58 PM

There's something a bit otherworldly about it to me. It doesn't try too hard to be different, but it is a bit different than a lot of other minimal techno. I dunno. I just like it, I can't speak for any hype attached to it, it just has a good sound to me.

batreleaser 05.07.2009 01:21 PM

im on the fence about the new skull dekekts record "the temple", its pretty rocking, but i cant tell if it reminds me of tool or not. haha.

atsonicpark 05.07.2009 02:23 PM

it rulz

batreleaser 05.07.2009 08:34 PM

i gotta hear bastard noise's new four disc set. im not a big fan of them or anything but the idea of 4 discs of noise holding my attention throughout the duration is pretty daunting. ive read reviews saying its pretty damn great ad varied, im not sure i believe it but its interesting enough.

atsonicpark 05.11.2009 07:11 AM

Really enjoying harappian night recordings - glorious gongs of hainuwele. Great psycho folk. Haha. Kinda has a Climax Golden Twins/Sun City Girls
vibe at times.

_slavo_ 05.11.2009 07:25 AM

Adam, I just came across the recent Aidan Baker/Thisquietarmy split. It's okay, but not that much of a mindfuck like the "Orange EP". I was a bit dissapointed.

atsonicpark 05.11.2009 07:28 AM

I love it. I agree it's not as good, but Orange is like my favorite ep of all time, so... it's still my favorite thing of the year thus far. Nothing has really blown my mind at all this year, but I've heard plenty of great things. Ever get the new Blackshaw? It's amazing.

_slavo_ 05.11.2009 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I love it. I agree it's not as good, but Orange is like my favorite ep of all time, so... it's still my favorite thing of the year thus far. Nothing has really blown my mind at all this year, but I've heard plenty of great things. Ever get the new Blackshaw? It's amazing.

yeah, I see what you mean there. My favourite of 2009 might be either "Cloudz" by Sunroof or "Slnko je vo vezi" by the local band called Kolowrat (i might upload it at a certain time). Both radically kick ass, in their own way.
I have heard the new Blackshaw, but just briefly, throughout the last weekend. the first impression is, I don't like it as much as I did with "Litany of Echoes" cause it didn't seem that coherent and the melodies weren't as strong, but it might grow up on me, so it's possible I'll reconsider.

atsonicpark 05.11.2009 07:46 AM

I dunno if overall it's as good as Litany, but there is definitely a song or two that is better than anything on there. I think the last track could have actually been shorted a bit. But the track RIGHT BEFORE the last track is probably my fav. Blackshaw song.