Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What offends you?? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=34190)

Glice 09.08.2009 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alteredcourse
Awesome!
I get stupid when I'm drunk. I think I thought I was actually making conversation.
Since you're the philosophy buff, I should ask you out of curiosity: is there anybody interesting out there right now that discusses current life, post-Nietzsche?

I'll answer for him - yes, loads of people. When you say 'life, post-Nietzsche' do you mean people who follow in Nietzsche's footsteps (in which case you want Bergson, Heidegger, Deleuze) or people who operated after Nietzsche? If you're after something easily digestible I'd go for Zizek - 'welcome to the desert of the real' is pretty easy going. If you're after reading what is my favourite work of philosophy, I'd go for JF Lyotard's Libidinal Economy. That's not so easy going. If you're after something right up to the minute, I recommend picking up Radical Philosophy or Collapse journals. There are other journals out there, but I think these are probably the most representative of where philosophy is at today. This doesn't, of course, reflect upon the quality therein. It's probably worth sitting through some Badiou - Being and Event is not necessarily that easy, but definitely worth it.

There's loads more, obviously, but no fucker ever reads 20 books just because someone on the internet told them to.

phoenix 09.08.2009 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Then admitting and accepting when one is in err is strong and not an admission of weakness?

I don't particularly see any connection between strength/weakness of mind.. character.. wathever and the ability to recognise one's own mistakes. That is such a political and competitive type of statement to make.
Not a dig at you.

notyourfiend 09.08.2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Awesome!
I get stupid when I'm drunk. I think I thought I was actually making conversation.
Since you're the philosophy buff, I should ask you out of curiosity: is there anybody interesting out there right now that discusses current life, post-Nietzsche?

I know you weren't asking me but I must suggest Foucault. Esp. Discipline and Punishment and History of Sexuality. But it might be helpful to start w a Foucault reader.

pbradley 09.08.2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix
I don't particularly see any connection between strength/weakness of mind.. character.. wathever and the ability to recognise one's own mistakes. That is such a political and competitive type of statement to make.
Not a dig at you.

My difficulty is that I don't consider the ability to recognize one's own mistakes as strength. I interpret strength as a term of power and, therefore, essentially competitive. In fact, I consider humility to be, in part, a recognition of one's dependency which conflicts with this "strong and independent people" talked about earlier. I suppose there is a level of strength needed for humility to overcome one's self but this is a kind of meta-attitude while "strength" is closely related to a base attitude.

floatingslowly 09.08.2009 12:26 PM

I've thought about it some more and decided that I don't care enough about anything to become offended.

my most common response to "doesn't that bother you??" is "eh...not really."

Zombie Robot 09.08.2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I've thought about it some more and decided that I don't care enough about anything to become offended.

^ me too! agreed...

to be offended u have to care, and generally i don't give a damn.
goes along with the whole no heart/undead/robot thing.

Toilet & Bowels 09.08.2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

hey robojokes, what about the time you neg repped me?

floatingslowly 09.08.2009 01:02 PM

that wasn't because I was offended. it was because I was trying to spin you up some more.

it didn't work. :(

verme (prevaricator) 09.08.2009 01:03 PM

floatingslowly.

notyourfiend 09.08.2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

I'm a pretty intense person. I get really passionate about certain things/people/ideas. I think it's because I'm an Aries.

floatingslowly 09.08.2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verme (prevaricator)
floatingslowly.

I lied before about not caring. I've just been deeply wounded.

////cutcutcut///

notyourfiend 09.08.2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

I lied before about not caring. I've just been deeply wounded.

////cutcutcut///

emo kids offend me

floatingslowly 09.08.2009 01:20 PM

emos use their arms. I use my penis.

I cut a line down the side and bend it around to make a frownie face.

:(

amerikangod 09.08.2009 01:33 PM

So the best way to get rid of your frown is to give you a boner.

verme (prevaricator) 09.08.2009 01:41 PM

he is from the time when self-cutting was cool and goth and not an "emo" stereotype.

HA HA HA! OLD PERSON!

floatingslowly 09.08.2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verme (prevaricator)
and not an "emo" stereotype.

what if I were to tell you that I've had a Weezer song written about me.

:(

alteredcourse 09.08.2009 02:56 PM

Glice + notyourfiend, you're amazing! I'll probably pick up Zizek and Foucault first and go from there. If you were excited about anything else, by all means, I'm all eyes. My understanding of Nietzsche is admittedly pretty weak, but from what I gather we were left with a pretty bleak reality, and I am curious to read up on where others have taken that.

edit. Completely unrelated modern philosophy is intriguing as well, I guess I've just assumed that it wouldnt be as familiar to me.

Conrad 09.08.2009 02:59 PM

People telling me to go listen to Bikini Kill.

notyourfiend 09.08.2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrad
People telling me to go listen to Bikini Kill.

really? i fucking love bikini kill. so much. they are up there with the youth that get sonic in terms of bands that have influenced me.

Edit: Now I'm listening to Thurston Hearts the Who

Glice 09.08.2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Glice + notyourfiend, you're amazing! I'll probably pick up Zizek and Foucault first and go from there. If you were excited about anything else, by all means, I'm all eyes. My understanding of Nietzsche is admittedly pretty weak, but from what I gather we were left with a pretty bleak reality, and I am curious to read up on where others have taken that.

Nihilism? I'm pretty sure Nietzsche saw to that dead horse being flogged.

Ha. I made a funny.