Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.30.2016 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
"Scream" was such a good track... those two, together. Yowza

It really was.. and it was when MJ was still MJ.. remember when that video was a cultural event???

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.30.2016 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Why are y'all such sexists? Janet is a an extremely talented individual. Britney doesn't sing as well as she does (although she was definitely influenced by her), nor is she as great of an artist. None of Michael's albums are as deep and insightful as The Velvet Rope, nor as eclectic in terms of sound. You know nothing about her creative process as you weren't with her at the studio, so please.

Do you mean Rob cuz you said yall like anyone else dissed Janet yo

louder 03.31.2016 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Do you mean Rob cuz you said yall like anyone else dissed Janet yo

Probably but I didn't wanna make it seem like it's personal.. lol

Severian 03.31.2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

It really was.. and it was when MJ was still MJ.. remember when that video was a cultural event???

I remember when it debuted. I was just thinkingof this last night. I haven't actually listened to the song from start to finish since the '90s, but I'm pretty sure I can recite the entire thing from memory, guitar solo and all.

What a Flying V guitar would be doing in the far future, though, is beyond me.

pepper_green 03.31.2016 05:37 PM

Flying V's are classic and aerodynamic. that's prove enough of time travel.

btw. I love "scream". I also love "leave me alone", "man in the mirror" and "remember the time". all that new jack me off swing. though it's much more shallow and plastic. Jackson 5 up until Thriller is king.

I remember I was friends with this blind kid in school who complained that MJ was white during the Dangerous era. im like " how da fuck you know?, u blind ass". lol.

pepper_green 03.31.2016 05:50 PM

BAD has some really great singles! "Leave me Alone" could compete with Tom Petty's "Don't come around here no More" for crazy bitch song of the 80's.

"leave me alone" has the greatest vocal harmonies of all time in pop. the video is still awesome too.

Severian 03.31.2016 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
BAD has some really great singles! "Leave me Alone" could compete with Tom Petty's "Don't come around here no More" for crazy bitch song of the 80's.

"leave me alone" has the greatest vocal harmonies of all time in pop. the video is still awesome too.

Hell yeah, that's a classic video. Remember that shit from Moonwalker, yo. Underrated song in general.

Also, I do not like "you are not alone." That video and song just totally are shit. Michael's choice of women makes Kanye's look downright enviable. Jesus...

Oh well, I'm not here to talk shit. Not today anyway.

Severian 03.31.2016 06:07 PM

"Wolves" is SO much better on TLOP version 3.0 (or whatever). I think the album's going to be available for download soon. I like what Ye's done to it in the interim. 30 Hours sounds a little better too, and some slight adjustment to FML make it even more ridiculously awesome.

pepper_green 03.31.2016 06:16 PM

Quote:

Hell yeah, that's a classic video. Remember that shit from Moonwalker, yo. Underrated song in general.

Also, I do not like "you are not alone." That video and song just totally are shit. Michael's choice of women makes Kanye's look downright enviable. Jesus...

Moonwalker! hell yeah! I loved that movie. my favorite scene is his past history part. I discovered the Jackson 5 that way. MJ could sing his ass off when young. still my favorite soul singing.

Severian 03.31.2016 06:24 PM

As I've said before, I cried when Joe Pesci beat his ass the first time I saw that.

Then he turned into a car... for some reason. Not sure why to this day. Didn't even use the car to get back at Pesci. Just turned into a car and flew off, and then he was running around in the forest with some kids.

Weird. But yeah, classic movie.

pepper_green 03.31.2016 06:26 PM

^^fuck yeah. I remember that now. ha. love you man! I have confidence that's it's still a weird wonderful movie. I cried too.

Nirvana came and I forgot all about it.

pepper_green 03.31.2016 06:40 PM

nothing can beat a young MJ singing on "Got to be There".

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.31.2016 07:22 PM

Quote:

It is entirely possible that MJ is what we call asexual. Its a real thing. I personally don't believe him a pedophile so being asexual actually explain all his weird behavior.. my mom trusted MJ and explained that she believed him because all those "mothers" took $ settlements. She said she would burn down the world to convict a person who had molested her kids and even more aptly they could have fought for criminal charges AND sued him in civil court. But they didn't. They went after $...

pepper_green 03.31.2016 07:24 PM

of course he was asexual. everybody knows that. weather or not he had sexual relations with children is the key. me, I've always been up in air. don't know. but I think he might have done some showing off play time of his genitals that his crazy mind shouldn't have done. little deviant which is wrong but, not a molester.

fucking kids? no! don't think he did that but, who knows whatthrough people like his minds. either way the mans was def crazy!

this placeis gpoing delite with the edit shit. what causes that? like you earase a word and the word just kjoasdfoiuaosdufo evaporates in fuck hit goddamnn man. it disappears into nothing

dude!

Severian 03.31.2016 07:26 PM

Quote:

^^fuck yeah. I remember that now. ha. love you man! I have confidence that's it's still a weird wonderful movie. I cried too.

Nirvana came and I forgot all about it.

Yeah, yep. That's about how it went for me too. But in 1988 and 89, it was all about Moonwalker and Bad. I also had a Paula Abdoul thing going for a while.

Severian 03.31.2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

It is entirely possible that MJ is what we call asexual. Its a real thing. I personally don't believe him a pedophile so being asexual actually explain all his weird behavior.. my mom trusted MJ and explained that she believed him because all those "mothers" took $ settlements. She said she would burn down the world to convict a person who had molested her kids and even more aptly they could have fought for criminal charges AND sued him in civil court. But they didn't. They went after $...

I understand that asexuality is a real thing. But he certainly tried to make it look like he was splittin' bimbos in half for a while. Then he had like five kids with someone whose name or lot in life I cannot remember, so... not sure how that fits into everything.

I think Michael was harmless, but probably suffered from overly simplistic and idyllic worldview. I think his childhood being what it was made him focus so much on preserving childhood later in his life, which really looks creepy to people who want headlines to do all the thinking for them.

Severian 03.31.2016 07:43 PM

Quote:

of course he was asexual. everybody knows that. weather or not he had sexual relations with children is the key. me, I've always been up in air. don't know. but I think he might have done some showing off play time of his genitals that his crazy mind shouldn't have done. little deviant which is wrong but, not a molester.

fucking kids? no! don't think he did that but, who knows whatthrough people like his minds. either the man was def crazy!

I think he probably did a few things that he shouldn't have, but I don't think he meant to do any harm, and I don't think he was actually a pedophile.

I've always seen Mike as kind of a tragic figure, sort of like Lenny in Of Mice and Men. Only instead of killing mice and accidentally breaking a bitch's neck, I think he probably just participated in one too many tickle fights.

As much respect as I have for him, I have to say I don't believe he was playing with a full deck. Hard to pinpoint when it started to seem like he was a little .... ah.... retarded.... but it started to seem like he'd sustained brain damage or something, somewhere around 1994. He just stopped making sense in interviews, and his vocabulary seemed to suffer. Perhaps he had early onset dimentia. I feel bad for the guy. What a tough life.

Severian 03.31.2016 07:44 PM

Quote:

Don't forget "Bette David Eyes" ... That's a real crazy Bitch song. "Leave me Alone" was about the media as far as I know.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.31.2016 07:45 PM

The kids were not necessarily sexually produced, possibly in vitro? Obviously having the appearance of a sex life was important for his image particularly in the extra horny 80s..

I think asexual most succinctly explains all of MJ's weird and otherwise unexplainable behavior. But i digress..

I'd rather talk about MJ the artist and not MJ the weirdo.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.31.2016 07:47 PM

It also gets forgotten how Nirvana knocked MJ off the charts. Which is amazing no matter how you slice that cake.