Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

atsonicpark 11.02.2010 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99
dead zone
heavy traffic

Amazing films. Heavy Traffic is my favorite animated feature of all time. You have some of the best tastes here, every film you post about is seriously impressive. If you like Heavy Traffic, definitely get some Bill Plympton movies, they're the BEST.

wild grass - 8/10 .. new film by alan resnais (hiroshima mon amour and last year at marienbad). Was really good. THis director is 84 years old!

re-watched

a better tomorrow 2 - 7/10

odd one dies - 9/10

atsonicpark 11.02.2010 06:13 AM

Yeah, Reflections of Evil is absolutely incredible. Damon Packard is one of the few filmmakers who films I purchase anymore. He needs the money!

Lynch is pretty cool, I am kinda bored with him since I first started watching his stuff 14 years ago. So, I've got all his films memorized front to back. Also, I watched Inland Empire recently, for the 8th or 9th time, and realized I just flat-out do not like it. But The Straight Story is one of my favorite films of all time, so I'll always like him, if only for that!

My favorite filmmaker of all time is Takeshi Kitano, by far. No other director is as poetic, intelligent, funny, creative, beautiful -- he can go from long drawn-out, meditative, quiet, introspective, surreal scenes of beauty, to quick bursts of insane violence, all masterfully-shot and edited. Actually, his nickname is The Master, since most people (aside from stupid critics no one pays attention to) believe he has never made a bad film. He has made 16 films in 20 years and I wouldn't give any lower than an 8/10, and most would be a 9, and a couple would be a 10/10. Absolutely essential director.

noisereductions 11.02.2010 07:32 AM

how come The Faculty doesn't look like a Rodriguez film? I mean -- what was the deciding factor on that? He's normally very "I do what I want",

SONIC GAIL 11.02.2010 03:44 PM

Sin City is great watch it. Gran Torrino is too.

I watched many many horror flicks this weekend. "Blood of Dracula" "28 days later" "Halloween I, II, and part of IV" "house on haunted hill I and II" and a bunch of other shit

The Earl Of Slander 11.02.2010 09:17 PM

Mike Leigh's 'Secrets & Lies'. So, so good. Haven't seen this in years, happened to be on TV, and it blew me away all over again. One of the most utterly emotionally compelling films that I've seen.

deflinus 11.02.2010 10:18 PM

atsonicpark 11.02.2010 10:49 PM

Those, and Fargo and Blood Simple, are definitely their best..

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.02.2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

ive been meaning to watch sin city but i keep forgetting. anyone seen it?

It's easily one of his best. On par with El Mariachi, From Dusk Till Dawn, and The Faculty...of course.

atsonicpark 11.02.2010 11:13 PM

I don't like Rodriguez but I like El Mariachi and Sin City (though I think the 2nd story is boring as hell) and the Spy Kid films. I can do without the rest.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.03.2010 03:42 AM

Holy shit, this was incredible!

9/10

TheFoxBen 11.03.2010 05:22 AM

9/10. Very classy, one of the best movies from Fincher, I wasn't expecting something that great but it really blew my mind. Flawless performances by the actors (I'm one of those who like Jesse Eisenberg, and he actually has some really badass lines here). This movie is so fucking well written and the ending was really awesome. Also, the music (by Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross) is one of the best movie scores I've heard, it's intense and it fits the movie. I don't know how accurate this movie is (Zuckerberg said that the actual story was much more boring and banal) but they have made an awesome legal drama out of the story of Facebook, that's all I know.

noisereductions 11.03.2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I don't like Rodriguez but I like El Mariachi and Sin City (though I think the 2nd story is boring as hell) and the Spy Kid films. I can do without the rest.

you didnt like Machette??

sonic sphere 11.03.2010 08:35 AM

SONIC GAIL 11.03.2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

been watching Coen Brothers films now.

i liked Barton Fink and No Country for Old Men

the Cohen brothers are the best. "Oh Brother Where Out there" was my favorite Barton Fink is close behind.....you must see Lady Killers it is quite funny

demonrail666 11.03.2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic sphere

Awesome!!!

demonrail666 11.03.2010 11:00 PM

The Man From London

I'm gonna hold off giving it a mark out of ten cos I haven't quite worked out what I think of it yet.

batreleaser 11.04.2010 09:14 AM

I just watched "Following" by Christopher Nolan, it was sorta, I dunno, not as great as I was expecting. Mostly besides that been binge watching Arrested Development on my brother's netflix. I watch television series so much more than movies these days. Boardwalk Empire, Eastbound and Down, It's Always Sunny, Walking Dead.

LifeDistortion 11.04.2010 04:13 PM

demonrail666 11.04.2010 05:30 PM

Code Unknown (7/10)

tw2113 11.04.2010 11:12 PM

Spaceballs