Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

_tunic_ 04.28.2022 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
I'm currently watching The Adam Project, starring Ryan Reynolds and Mark Ruffalo. Can't say much about it yet, I'm only 20 minutes in it.

wow, this movie was really bad.

_tunic_ 04.28.2022 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh no lol. i would miss them...

oh wait, this is the movie thread!

everytime I open this thread by selecting the link on the new post email notification , I end up seeing this pic :D:D:D

so I'm watching Feyenoord in the Conference League semi finals against Marseille. They were leading 2-0. I wasn't watching for like 10 minutes, and now it's 2-2.
WTF?

Bertrand 04.28.2022 04:02 PM

Ed and his dead mother
That's Steve Buscemi not getting over his mother's loss. In comes John Glover, offering life, that is to return Buscemi's mom back to life. Steve says OK. It works.
I really enjoyed it, there's no attempt at trying to make things "real", so there's no real world around the characters who still find it a bit hard to deal with.

And The Music Lovers, which I didn't expect to enjoy. Ken Russell's often over the top too often. Not here.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.28.2022 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrand
Ed and his dead mother
That's Steve Buscemi not getting over his mother's loss. In comes John Glover, offering life, that is to return Buscemi's mom back to life. Steve says OK. It works.
I really enjoyed it, there's no attempt at trying to make things "real", so there's no real world around the characters who still find it a bit hard to deal with.

I actually enjoyed this one. Super weird flick

Rob Instigator 04.29.2022 09:06 AM

I remember ed & his dead momma.

_tunic_ 04.30.2022 02:04 AM

speaking of weird movies, did any of you ever watch this?

this is a very weird flick. Sean Penn plays like a mix between a pensioned Robert Smith and Ozzy Osbourne. Funny at times, but I think I would have liked the movie more if he had just stayed within his inner circle by the swimming pool or whatever, sort of as a mockumentary, instead of the current plot where he goes on a quest to hunt down a former SS officer. That all seemed too far-fetched to me.

!@#$%! 04.30.2022 05:17 PM

Quote:

everytime I open this thread by selecting the link on the new post email notification , I end up seeing this pic :D:D:D

luckeeeeeeee...

====

so i came here to correct something i said in the previous page

i said that freaks and geeks was apatow's baby

but not really, i mean, apatow produced and cowrote, yes, but freaks and geeks was actually created by PAUL FEIG.

im saying this cuz i was just looking at some 8 1/2 commentaries and he's got a bit in it and i went to find out who he was and ooops.

anyway sorry about the misinformation. PAUL FEIG.

!@#$%! 05.09.2022 11:33 AM

enjoying a relaxing 3-day weekend today.

watched a bunch of movies...

cromwell

a bit, oooof, corny at times, and some horrible music, but richard harris thundering in anger and laurence olivier in his soft-spoken oblivion make you forget the bad parts. of course his butchery of ireland is not forgotten, except by this movie...

the battle of britain

there's olivier again along a late-60s great cast. action movies back in the day, not being marred by ridiculous cgi explosions, were much better.

hearts of darkness

i had seen this before in a bad vhs tape i think so i didnt remember a lot. brilliant documentary. conclusion: the jungle makes european types crazy (see also: burden of dreams)

pi
i've seen this a few times before and i still like it. very 90's--and shot in a bolex!

true story: once upon a time i wanted my apartment to look like that. it might yet happen hahahahahaa.

Rob Instigator 05.09.2022 11:49 AM

Hearts of Darkness is dope.

I watched Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy again yesterday. needed a chill flick

!@#$%! 05.09.2022 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Hearts of Darkness is dope.

yeah! also, i could swear ffc is your italian doppelganger from another era.

well not doppelganger, maybe a distant uncle. el tío paco.

Quote:

I watched Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy again yesterday. needed a chill flick

nice.

DON'T PANIC!

i like the movie more than the book actually...

====

(posted later)

i read "red dragon" aaaaaages ago. the first hannibal lecter. it was pretty good genre fiction, and i remembered there was a movie for it...

stylewise this is a bit of an 80s fashion victim, and the music is unfuckinglistenable hahahhaahaaa. but the story still comes through, without the novelistic detail of course, but there are some good performances (eg the killer), so it's a decent b movie as b movies go. b+ maybe? ah, and the woman from "brazil" is in it, what's her name....

first time i see her in another movie i think.

anyway this opened the door to silence of the lambs being made a few years later i believe, and other movies may have ripped off bits as well. so, good for film history purposes. and police commissioner burrell from "the wire" has a small part as a st. louis cop.

brian cox is a more playful lecter than anthony hopkins, and that's not a bad thing in this movie where things at times get a bit ponderous.

but the music, for fucks sakes, turn it off sometimes. the end credits song is particularly horrible. i need to wash my ears now.

Rob Instigator 05.10.2022 09:27 AM

Believe me, when I see a younger FFC I see myself.

weird stuff!

_tunic_ 05.10.2022 10:28 AM

I watched these fairly recently, the Han Solo yesterday evening. But I've already forgotten what they are about. Too mny characters, too many effects bla bal ba

I bought the Dune book, perhaps I might like it more :)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.11.2022 09:17 PM

Two vastly underrates sci-fi GOATs imho

!@#$%! 05.14.2022 08:48 PM

well shit i finally watched todd haynes's I'M NOT THERE

i've never been a dylan fan (he' got some catchy tunes though lol) but this movie is fucking great in its own right.

and cate blanchett is just fucking extraordinary.

btw (probably everyone here already knew this) kim g has a bit part in it, and sy plays a cover in the end credits.

_tunic_ 05.15.2022 11:21 AM

that's funny
I watched the Bob Dylan documentary No Direction Home
and I'm also not really a fan, but I recorded it almost a year ago and it would be removed in a few days so I thought I might as well watch it
And I did like it quite a lot actually, it's well made

The only problem, that I didn't know about:
It is 3 1/2 hours long, and broadcast in two parts, and I only recorded the first part :-(

Now I would like to watch the second part, but can't .....

And I also saw this old one on Netflix:

quite an interesting story actually, I never knew so much about what happened during & before WWII in Africa.
and shocking that it's still a mess nearly a 100 years later ...

!@#$%! 05.15.2022 02:28 PM

Quote:

that's funny
I watched the Bob Dylan documentary No Direction Home
and I'm also not really a fan, but I recorded it almost a year ago and it would be removed in a few days so I thought I might as well watch it
And I did like it quite a lot actually, it's well made

The only problem, that I didn't know about:
It is 3 1/2 hours long, and broadcast in two parts, and I only recorded the first part :-(

Now I would like to watch the second part, but can't .....

hah, funny coincidence: i started watching that some time ago, then had to stop for some reason, and now i don't know where it was lol.

was it scorsese? i think it was scorsese not 100% sure.

anyway i just saw linklater's DAZED AND CONFUSED (1993)

never saw it when it came out, and for some reason or another still couldn't until now.

it makes it look like the 70s were fun! was i born too late? lmao. o well...

-

watched a chunk of "the cube" too but got bored with it.

Severian 05.17.2022 06:28 AM

Moneyball rewatch. This time with cute and awesome lady. Fun times. Great fucking movie.

!@#$%! 05.17.2022 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Moneyball rewatch. This time with cute and awesome lady. Fun times. Great fucking movie.

haha! well done, mr. romcom.

sorkin's screenplays are for hotness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Gardner

Severian 05.19.2022 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
haha! well done, mr. romcom.

sorkin's screenplays are for hotness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Gardner

Let me tell you I fucking love Moneyball but you know what I love more than Moneyball? Watching Moneyball with a super cool, smart, pretty lady who kicks all kinds of ass and likes hanging out with me for some goddamn reason.

Fuckin’ A right

tw2113 05.22.2022 10:35 PM

Bill and Ted Face The Music :D

!@#$%! 05.23.2022 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Bill and Ted Face The Music :D

hah! i almost saw that this weekend. really wanted to make a matinée out of it. but instead saw...

2 linklaters:

subUrbia

and

bernie

Rob Instigator 05.24.2022 09:16 AM

Bernie is good stuff

!@#$%! 05.24.2022 02:19 PM

Quote:

Bernie is good stuff

yes it was! i was surprised by it.

tw2113 05.24.2022 09:24 PM

Next movie for the movie review site of mine is Bio-Dome :D

!@#$%! 05.27.2022 04:30 PM

wtf man, ray liotta dead? wtf

Severian 06.01.2022 05:55 AM

Watched Candyman (2021) with awesome girl. It was bad but I was with awesome girl, so it’s fine.

We also rewatched Grosse Point Blank, which holds up for the most part. However I always forget that Cusak’s character’s last name is “Blank.” Ugh. Like, having a Grosse Point-centered story about a hitman and calling it Grosse Point Blank is already a nice double entendre. They didn’t need to triple that shit.

Anyway great music in GPB

tw2113 06.06.2022 09:52 PM

Encino Man :D

Severian 06.07.2022 05:59 AM

This was so weird at first because I wasn’t sure if I should laugh or not, but turns out it’s at least 70% satirical melodrama. The other 30% is pretty good horror, too.

Diesel 06.22.2022 05:54 PM

The Batman. Lost count of the amount of times I fell asleep which says it all really. One thing to say about the dumb plot: why do the police suddenly stop chasing Batman after previously having been chasing him like 10 minutes before? Oh that's right this was made by the daft cunt who made the pointless Let the right one in remake. This feels like a remake of Nolans' films but made worse, and what is worse, it feels utterly pointless and generic.

The numerous naps I had felt great, the problem was waking up to this turgid shite every time like some recurring nightmare and realising there was 15 hours of fucking runtime left. If only the Covid would put me out of this misery.

Anyway.

Watched Mad God. Bloody brilliant I tell thee.

Severian 06.23.2022 05:59 AM

I watched Bridesmaids. It was OK.
I re-watched Juno. It was pretty good still, but not as good as I remember it being back in the day.
I watched Private Life, a new Netflix movie. It was mostly good but kinda boring.

Rob Instigator 06.27.2022 10:05 AM

I fully agree with Diesel's take on The Batman. It cuold have been edited to a 95 minute quality film.

Watched Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Very cool. Liked it a lot more than the 1st. Dr. Strange.

Also watched AuthoR! Author! with Pacino. Nice film. he almost got an Oscar for it.

Rob Instigator 06.27.2022 10:06 AM

Bridesmaids sucked. Like an extended TV show. boring AF.

Juno sucked when it first came out. I hated the whole thing. Michael Cera is a fucking terrible terrible actor.

_tunic_ 06.27.2022 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

This was so weird at first because I wasn’t sure if I should laugh or not, but turns out it’s at least 70% satirical melodrama. The other 30% is pretty good horror, too.

I actually started watching this a few months back, but aborted after a very short while. Didn't like it at all, but I'm not a horror fan either.

I watched Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy yesterday afternoon, thought I had seen it already but that must have been the other version from the eighties (?) where the second head is next to the first head instead of underneath it. I kind of liked it, but I did sleep through most of it :D

Also watched Apocalypse Now the Redux version, taking four hours or so. Wow, great movie, I did see it spread over several days. The last part I didn't like so much, but the first part is great!

Severian 06.28.2022 06:17 AM

I watched the first Noah Baumbach movie, Kicking & Screaming.
It was good. Very full of malaise and weird ironic Gen-X anguish/malaise.

tw2113 07.02.2022 11:06 PM

Go vote on the next movie I write about at https://upallnightmovies.com/insane-...l-for-movie-9/

All "The Asylum" based, so you know they're going to be HORRIBLE movies.

Rob Instigator 07.06.2022 12:58 PM

Wife and I tried watching Sergeio leone's Once Upon a Time In America but I hate rape scenes so we stopped.

We then tried to watch Old School, which we had never seen (my wife hates Luke Wilson). I had to turn it off about 25 minutes in. Just TOO FUCKING STUPID a film. I have really begun to hate the Hollywood films that create fake drama out of rich white people's minor troubles.

Then, watched the classic GOODFELLAS to get the shit taste of Old School out of our mouths.

Antagon 07.09.2022 06:33 PM

Koyaanisqatsi, projected onto my makeshift home-screen (aka "curtains") with a nice blanket spread out on the floor to watch from below. I might have had some great herbal green tea to accompany it too.

Rob Instigator 07.11.2022 08:52 AM

Nice!

tw2113 07.23.2022 10:29 PM

Clue :D

Severian 07.25.2022 06:12 AM

Two movies watched with cool lady:

This was fine I guess. Could have been better if it had more character development and less, just, random nonstop explosion-type-stuff.

This had a few interesting moments but mostly felt like a wankfest.