Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What do you think is lacking from today's music? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31281)

greedrex 05.14.2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
Um, maybe he feels something is lacking from today's music? Hmm? Maybe that prompted it? Possibly?

Can you possibly try not to sound like a frustrated cunt? Hmm? Possibly?:fuckyou:

afterthefact 05.14.2009 09:22 AM

I was kidding, but... sure thing sugarcakes, I'll see what I can do.

greedrex 05.14.2009 09:24 AM

I'm nobody's "sugarcakes".

afterthefact 05.14.2009 09:42 AM

Looks like you are, sugarcakes.

Kylerobert 05.14.2009 09:48 AM

I feel like a lot of people say this about current music (no matter what time it is)...then 10 years later they realize it wasn't bad at all.

Rob Instigator 05.14.2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reginald
The problem with today's music is that it hasn't had time to season.

this is a very valid point and one I made in a thread I started a few months back. with the ability to distribute music before bands becoem seasoned, before songhs are perfected (as defined by the band of course) then all we have are skecthes. sketches are wonderful things, but they are not the final masterpiece.
bands now put out records before they ever play a gig, before "paying their dues" in a sense. Those "dues" make bands tighter, make bands flow together and the energy just explodes exponentially.

greedrex 05.14.2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
Looks like you are, sugarcakes.

don't push it, or i might have to NEG-REP you.:eek:

PAULYBEE2656 05.14.2009 11:24 AM

there is a lack of flavour in music today..and certainly a lack of surface tension.... too much oil has neutralized the flavour and destroyed the molecular surface of music...now everything falls through it.......

Glice 05.14.2009 12:06 PM

That's right Herr Bee - music should follow the example of Walkers and come up with new flavours.

Fish n' chip-fi, anyone?

EVOLghost 05.14.2009 12:29 PM

noise.

afterthefact 05.14.2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
don't push it, or i might have to NEG-REP you.:eek:

NOOOOO!!!

Actually, I just recently got neg-repped by Glice for knocking Dolly Parton. Gotta say, didn't see that coming.

floatingslowly 05.14.2009 12:44 PM

talking about neg-rep received is just as silly as threatening to give it out.

it makes you look like a crybaby. a crybaby over meaningless little boxes.

I guess I'd get upset if glice neg-repped me, but then again, I'd never dis Dolly.

shame.

afterthefact 05.14.2009 12:51 PM

I regret nothing.

greedrex 05.14.2009 01:06 PM

Je ne regrette rien.

sarramkrop 05.14.2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
me too honey.:)

:)
:)

sarramkrop 05.14.2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
That's right Herr Bee - music should follow the example of Walkers and come up with new flavours.

Fish n' chip-fi, anyone?

it would be nice if we could recycle records that are shit too. Imagine if we'd dig a hole, throw all the collective animal shit into it, and wait a few years to find a tree in there. What do you think?

sarramkrop 05.14.2009 02:27 PM

I'm never bored of music. If I'm not into it, I just don't play any at all.

ni'k 05.14.2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
it would be nice if we could recycle records that are shit too. Imagine if we'd dig a hole, throw all the collective animal shit into it, and wait a few years to find a tree in there. What do you think?

this is a fantastic idea.

select like 10 shit old useless piece of crap records that noone cares about anymore then develop a piece of software that you can put them all into and it will remix and mash them up into new shapes and patterns so you can see what random stuff comes out.

seriously tho if you developed software that was sufficiently intelligent to recognise patterns and repetitions between different songs/albums you could be on to something.

Glice 05.14.2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop

This is bizzarely a very accurate description of a half-finished sculpture in my garden. I have to finish it off now you've said that.

sarramkrop 05.14.2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
This is bizzarely a very accurate description of a half-finished sculpture in my garden. I have to finish it off now you've said that.

What records did you use to make it? And what records are you adding to it?

I was wondering what happens to all the unwanted shit that people throw away in disgust.