Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Prince (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1866)

Glice 08.03.2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Firstly, Michael Jackson wrote Don't Stop Till You Get Enough himself, arguably his best song, and B, I doubt any Prince record is as good as Off The Wall.

Unfair. I mean, they are both excessively great pop monkeys with very, very strange personal lives who made outstandingly great pop. Both also had a dip in greatness, one never to return. To my knowledge, great though he is, Prince was not responsible for Billy Jean though, but MJ was not responsible for Purple Rain. Call it a tie, for the children's sake.

o o o 08.03.2006 12:13 PM

hmm... i realise now i could have put "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" in the "your favourite song ever" thread. my favourite Michael Jackson song, maybe not an original choice, but it is.

therealglenstyler 08.04.2006 05:56 AM

IF WE'RE TALIKING mj'S FINEST THEN SURELY WE'RE TALKING "DESTINY" OR THAT "LIBRARIAN GIRL" ONE.

porkmarras 08.04.2006 05:59 AM

Librarian Girl is a hell of an excellent tune in my book.Difficult one with Michael because he made too many good ones.Same with Prince.Rasberry Beret?Anastacia?Who knows?Too many good ones indeed.

Toilet & Bowels 08.04.2006 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower

thank you

kingcoffee 08.04.2006 02:39 PM

This is perhaps the gayest thing I have ever seen:

kingcoffee 08.04.2006 02:40 PM

Besides this:

Norma J 08.05.2006 09:36 PM

I'm not really a Prince fan. I was, though, given a two track remix vinyl of Prince. I can't even remember what the songs are called. I was kinda looking to sell it.

atari 2600 08.12.2006 02:37 PM

Quote:

aside from the song 1999 i've never seen what all the fuss is about.

& this this is the guy that routinely accuses others of being "close-minded"

porkmarras 08.12.2006 02:42 PM

Shut up atari.You've been framed.Me and Toilet don't like you,get over it.

Toilet & Bowels 08.12.2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
& this this is the guy that routinely accuses others of being "close-minded"

i only accused you*.... and probably some others too, maybe. i've just never really been that moved by much of his other music. raspberry beret is alright i suppose.

*i sure got you good that time, eh? and, I got repped by two** long standing posters for doing so!

**one of them said it was the first time he'd ever been moved to rep someone

atari 2600 05.05.2007 07:38 AM

excerpt///"It seems that there was an aspect of Prince's personality, which he referred to as 'Camille', who wanted to prove critics wrong who were saying that Prince had lost his ability to write funky music. In Camille's desperation to prove the critics wrong, he inadvertently surrendered himself to something called "Spooky Electric" and ended up producing the Black Album, a corrupt thing filled with violence and sex. Fortunately Camille realised his error in time and managed to thwart the Black Album's release."
more fun reading here...
http://www.renewal.org.au/scam/princeblackalbum.htm

val-holla-ing 05.05.2007 05:54 PM

oooooooh!

val-holla-ing 05.05.2007 10:21 PM

dude. graffitti bridge was awesome and so was batman! but i see what you mean about the corniness of some of it. i thought it had more to do with him having a bad trip and becoming "saved" and all that stuff.

atari 2600 05.05.2007 10:24 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bla...rince_album%29

Just before the Black Album was released to the market, Prince recalled all copies and abandoned the entire project, leaving roughly 100 European promotional copies in circulation, copies that would be widely bootlegged in the coming years. Rumors and hearsay abound as to why the release was derailed:
  • A bad trip experienced by the artist while using the drug Ecstasy convinced him that the album was evil or represented an ominous portent, although technically speaking this is misleading as Ecstasy is not hallucinogenic.
  • Prince experienced a crisis of conscience and marketing identity over the eroticism/violence of its lyrics.
  • Warner Bros. Records, his record label, reached the same conclusion.
  • Prince may have simply decided that the album was of inferior quality and not a wise release.
However in 2001, his long time keyboard player Dr. Fink told then-internet radio host Ernest L Sewell, IV, of The Ernest Experience Radio Show, that Prince said he saw the devil. He was paranoid due to drugs, and instead of the popular story of him seeing God, he in fact had thought he saw Satan. He told his bodyguard Gilbert Davison this, and Gilbert in turn related it to Fink and possibly other band members. It was this hallucination that had Prince running scared and decided to ditch releasing the album. He even asked for the cassettes of the album back from the band members that are routinely given to them to learn the songs by ear. Fink had later expressed discontent in that he wished he hadn't given it back, or at least made a copy of it for his own personal use.

Almost immediately after the decision to shelve it, The Black Album emerged on the streets in bootleg form, arguably becoming popular music's most legendary bootleg, after The Basement Tapes. Several celebrities, including U2's frontmen The Edge and Bono, cited it as one of their favorite albums of 1988 (Rolling Stone magazine celebrity poll). By the time it was released by Warner Bros. legitimately in 1994 (again, containing only a track listing and catalogue number—45793—printed onto the disc itself and only legal copy appearing on the spine), almost every dedicated Prince fan already owned an illegal copy. It was released in a strictly limited edition and deleted by Warner Bros. the following January. It is believed that this release was legitimized so that Prince could get out of his new 7-album contract with the label, which he had signed the previous year and regretted instantly, because he wanted ownership of his recordings, a rarity in the music industry. Soon before the release of The Black Album, Prince started to appear with the word “slave” written on his face and changed his legal name to the unpronouncable symbol

Original copies of The Black Album sell for up to $5,000.00 or more. The music video for the Lovesexy single "Alphabet St." contains a hidden message reading "Please don't buy The Black Album. I'm sorry."

val-holla-ing 05.05.2007 10:37 PM

man. this is pretty wild!

atari 2600 05.08.2007 04:02 PM

Quote:
Firstly, Michael Jackson wrote Don't Stop Till You Get Enough himself, arguably his best song, and B, I doubt any Prince record is as good as Off The Wall.

Put down the crack pipe. Prince writes his own lyrics and music, whereas Michael Jackson (for the most part) doesn't. Can Wacko Jacko even play a musical instrument?

atari 2600 05.08.2007 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
alright, i got telepathical with mr. toilet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Black Wizards
ugh, brown nose.

It's great to see a reall straight-shooter like yourself, The Black Wizards.

Now don't get excited, I'm not writing about your crack pipe again, Toilet & Bowels.

val-holla-ing 05.08.2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
Quote:

Put down the crack pipe. Prince writes his own lyrics and music, whereas Michael Jackson (for the most part) doesn't. Can Wacko Jacko even play a musical instrument?

don't get me wrong. jackson has written some of his own material...but most of it was bad.

atari 2600 05.08.2007 04:20 PM

True, but Prince, as you know, is a world-class musician.

To be fair, Michael Jackson is a world-class pedophile.