Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I can't get into the BOREDOMS, what's wrong with me??? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=27003)

batreleaser 10.25.2008 02:32 PM

I still think 'Soul Discharge" is fucking insane, just balls out spazzed out, artsy no-wave infected, psycedelic noise core blah blah whatever. That's the record I have listened to the most. But obviously, as far as sheer musical beauty 'Super Ae' and 'Vision Creation Newsun" are the best.

MellySingsDoom 10.25.2008 02:39 PM

I love the Boredoms in all of their periods and incarnations - wish I hadn't missed them in 2007 though *kicks self*

davenotdead 10.25.2008 04:02 PM

yes Melly, back in May i considered driving 9 hours one way, just to see Boredoms with Brian Chippendale opening... i'm still upset that I pussed out... even though i would have been going by myself...

amerikangod 10.25.2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenotdead
yes Melly, back in May i considered driving 9 hours one way, just to see Boredoms with Brian Chippendale opening... i'm still upset that I pussed out... even though i would have been going by myself...

Dude, you missed out. Boredoms have been the best they've ever been in the last handful of years of touring. Their unreleased live material has just progressively been getting better and more differentiated.

And, as much as I love Boredoms from 'Super Ae' and on, I think that it was their earlier stuff that was the most blindingly creative. Sure, sometimes it can take on a 'silly' element, but to me it's moreso just 'fun.' Very few bands are capable of fusing scathing noise rock with 'fun.'

uhler 10.25.2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
I still think 'Soul Discharge" is fucking insane, just balls out spazzed out, artsy no-wave infected, psycedelic noise core blah blah whatever. That's the record I have listened to the most. But obviously, as far as sheer musical beauty 'Super Ae' and 'Vision Creation Newsun" are the best.

vision creation newsun is another album i have on my computer of theirs and i think it's amazing.

viewtiful_alan 10.26.2008 03:32 PM

Confession: I have never listened to the boredoms.

atsonicpark 10.26.2008 05:32 PM

that's.. um.. weird.

pokkeherrie 10.26.2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
hmm... chocolate synthesizer/super ae period I guess. does that count? Those two albums represent the best of the old with the best of the new.. chocolate synthesizer, I think, to an untrained Borear (see what I did there?) would just sound like Pop Tatari 2 but I think they showed a lot of restraint and creativity on that release and there's a lot of soul-searching in the songs.. super ae is just so epic and ridiculously awesome that it blows my mind.

I love their straight-up drummy stuff, does anyone remember when they were briefly Uoredoms and had 5 drummers? I guess that doesn't compare to nowadays with 88 drummers! But I love the drum worship stuff, they've just been playing the same exact song for like 6 or 7 years now!

Two statements I heartily agree with:
Chocolate Synthesizer/Super Ae representing the best of old and new Bore and also them playing the exact same song for several years now.

The latter bugs me a bit, but would be much worse if they toured my town every year playing the same stuff. As it happens, I only got to see them once and had to travel quite a distance for that. Easily the best show I saw in 2007.

atsonicpark 10.26.2008 08:20 PM

ASH-IDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

[polee-zahhhhhhhhhhhhhh]

greedrex 10.27.2008 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
Confession: I have never listened to the boredoms.

what is wrong with you?

amerikangod 10.27.2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
what is wrong with you?

Probably just afraid of getting double balls.

viewtiful_alan 10.27.2008 03:19 PM

I have no idea where to start with them to be honest.

Derek 10.27.2008 04:25 PM

vision creation newsun

greedrex 10.27.2008 04:29 PM

yes...

sarramkrop 10.27.2008 07:13 PM

And?

DeadDiscoDildo 10.27.2008 08:18 PM

I have never even heard of this band.

oh well.

amerikangod 10.27.2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
I have no idea where to start with them to be honest.

Well, thanks to the internet you can download all of their albums. Don't bother starting in one place, listen to as much as you can, sample a bit of everything. Whatever strikes a chord with you the most, focus on. Not one thing will be an indicator of what the rest of their music will sound like.

atsonicpark 10.28.2008 12:31 AM

...end of thread.