Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

SONIC GAIL 07.28.2010 03:26 PM

where the hell do you find it to rent. Blockbuster rarely has much but shit in this town

Count Mecha 07.28.2010 03:36 PM

Something about Last House never really sat right with me, I just never really got into it. But I fucking love Virgin Spring and it's the exact same movie.

I've always been pretty cool with Hills Have Eyes though. The characters are completely moronic but I always found it really easy to like.

Scream is really good indeed, a really great satire, loved that they killed Drew Barrymore right away.

People Under The Stairs is pretty cool.

All in all though I don't really like Craven. I admit he's got some good pictures though.

noisereductions 07.28.2010 04:41 PM

The Drew Barrymore scene in Scream is brilliant. And actually scary. And brutal. It's awesome.

ann ashtray 07.28.2010 05:09 PM

After I watched Irreversable, almost nothing in the way of film scares me. Unfortunately....

stu666 07.28.2010 07:18 PM

demonrail666 07.28.2010 07:37 PM

The Cottage. 4/10. Sort of Lock Stock meets The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Weirdly, not as terrible as it sounds.

noisereductions 07.28.2010 07:59 PM

what the hell? Atsonic usually LIVES in this thread. Probably doesnt wanna hurt myh feelings on Craven.

Count Mecha 07.28.2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
The Cottage. 4/10. Sort of Lock Stock meets The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Weirdly, not as terrible as it sounds.

Cover looks like Bruce Campbell.

tw2113 07.28.2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
what the hell? Atsonic usually LIVES in this thread. Probably doesnt wanna hurt myh feelings on Craven.

Maybe he's jerking off to his movie collection?

I kid I kid.............kinda :D

atsonicpark 07.28.2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
After I watched Irreversable, almost nothing in the way of film scares me. Unfortunately....

How can anyone watch Irreversable? I've seen it twice and it was extremely nauseating and hard to watch because of the shakey camera the first time, and even worse the second time because the movie's so damn boring. Monica Belluci is fine to look at for the last... not even going to talk aobut that overlong rape scene that is so drawn out and ridiculous and poorly-acted. It's impossible to take the film seriously. What's scary about it? There's a guy getting his face smashed in and a rape scene, otherwise nothing happens in it. People sitting around talking. The strobe effect in the film was cool but otherwise that film is worthless.

I Stand Alone, on the other hand, is a masterpiece.

atsonicpark 07.28.2010 10:28 PM

I was asleep.

But having wet dreams about my movie collection.

atsonicpark 07.28.2010 10:36 PM

I won't comment on all of them but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
WES CRAVEN:

Last House On The Left - 6/10.
Odd disconnect because of the "horror! rape!" and the "bumbling cops acting goofy!" scenes. I have an old old VHS of this with a cover I've never seen; the end credits say "COMING SOON: LAST HOUSE 2". The cover is seriously weird as hell, featuring no one who is actually in the film. Anyway, it's entertaining for a watch but I didn't really get anything from it. It's often "compared" to I Spit On Your Grave, which is a much more effective, unsettling film, though neither one does much for me.

Hills Have Eyes - 7/10
Deadly Blessing - 5/10
Swamp Thing - 6/10
Nightmare On Elm Street - 7/10
I ain't 10/10'ing it because I don't think it's held up very well; it's an important and "essential" film but eh. I even like a few of the sequels better, mainly 3 and New Nightmare. At least Freddy isn't "funny" in it.

Hills Have Eyes Part II - 4/10
Nightmare On Elm Street 3 - 8/10 (I wouldn't rate it since he didn't direct it but since you did..)
Deadly Friend - 6/10
Serpent And The Rainbow - 7/10
Shocker - 7/10
People Under The Stairs - 8/10
This is one of the first "horror" movies I ever remember watching so part of the rating is for nostalgia.

New Nightmare - 9/10
This is brilliant on so many levels!

Vampire In Brooklyn - 6/10
This is pretty funny... though Leslie Nielsen's Dracula: Dead and Loving It is probably better for this type of thing!

Scream - 9/10
Funny and entertaining as hell. Brilliant, actually.

Scream 2 - 4/10
Rushed shit.

Scream 3 - 5/10
A bit more entertaining than 2 though still meh.

Cursed - 6/10
Red Eye - 6/10
Saw this in theaters! I thought it started out great! It eventually turns to shit but it's quite entertaining for about an hour. Gets cliche as hell.

Pulse
- 5/10
I like the original version of this film. This is.. okay.

WHOO.

FreshChops 07.29.2010 02:26 AM

In God We Trust (1980) ....just finishing up on HBO. Haven't seen it since I was a little kid and it's great. Marty Feldman, Peter Boyle and gem performances by Andy Kaufman as the preacher and Richard Pryor as G.O.D. was brilliant!

edit, now that I think of it, all those guys are dead.... and probably all too soon.

atsonicpark 07.29.2010 02:40 AM

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:a..._and_sober.jpg
Clean and Sober - 9/10

keaton is amazing

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.29.2010 02:57 AM

WES CRAVEN:

Last House On The Left - 10/10
Hills Have Eyes - 7/10
Deadly Blessing - 7/10
Swamp Thing - 6/10
Nightmare On Elm Street - 10/10
Chiller - 4/10
Nightmare On Elm Street 3 - 10/10 (I don't really see this as a Craven flick though)
Serpent And The Rainbow - 8/10
People Under The Stairs - 9/10
New Nightmare - 8/10
Vampire In Brooklyn - 3/10
Scream - 8/10
Scream 2 - 7/10
Scream 3 - 6/10
Red Eye - 7/10

atsonicpark 07.29.2010 03:34 AM

Look at all those 10's.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.29.2010 03:55 AM

What can I say? I'm a HUGE Freddy fan. Parts 1, and 3 are masterpieces. Plus, my scale goes all the way up to 12/10 (TCM), so...

atsonicpark 07.29.2010 03:58 AM

I just only think like maybe 20 or so films ever deserve a 10. Freddy's cool but he just doesn't wow me. Sure scared me as a kid though. But whatever floats your boat!

I think the recent remake is better than most of the sequels. New Nightmare is my fav of all of 'em though.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.29.2010 04:14 AM

Trust me, I don't hand 'em out too often either. A film has to be pitch-perfect for me to crown it with such worship. To me, NOES, NOES 3, and LHOTL (I can't believe you liked ISOYG more) are all outstanding enough to fit the bill.

Henenlotter, for example, is one of my favorites, and his films are extremely influential on my work...yet my favorite of his, Basket Case, only receives a 9/10 in my book. Craven just really hit me where it counted with NOES, and LHOTL.

atsonicpark 07.29.2010 04:34 AM

I'd say Henenlotter is better than Craven by miles. Actually, I think he's probably the most consistently great director to work in the horror genre. Sure, he's only made 6 movies, but all of his Something Weird video picks are always awesome too.

Brain Damage is an easy 10/10 imo.