Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Count Mecha 06.23.2010 01:02 AM

Young Frankenstein and Tremors are quality horror parodies, though Tremors is an extremely thickly veiled one. It's more of a homage probably.

Very cool movie. I didn't think it was that funny though it had seriously hilarious moments, but certainly a great amount of the movie was very dry. I found myself more enjoying the absurdity of this gray artificial streamlined version of France. As opposed to the France that's generally portrayed in movies and television, with older buildings with the shape of age and history, colorful people and fairly cultured. Even characters in the film had this same problem. And all of the french women in the film are smokin, all of those dresses are hot stuff.

I also saw this Frank Zappa documentary on netflix the other day at my brother's house. Don't remember the name, but it was very neat stuff. I am just amazed that he managed to got them to let him play that bicycle stuff on the Steve Allen show. I've only heard Freak Out! admittedly, but after seeing this I borrowed my brother's We're Only In It For The Money record immediately.

loubarret 06.23.2010 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
All his films except mod fuck are on netflix now I believe, they just put em up for instant watch a while back I think, though I have owned actual copies for a while. They're all like an hour

Not A American so yeah I pretty much screwed then, but will try to find them.

Count Mecha 06.23.2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

w/ live score by Stare Case (Wolf Eyes), Dog Lady, Maths Balance Volumes, Steve Kenney @ the Burton Theatre.

That one is out of control. Love it. All the flicking tongues and demons spilling out of wombs, insane.

a-p a. niemi 06.23.2010 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
hey, a.p.a can you tell us what that movie is about?

Yeah of course, it's a documentary about Finnish men. Or maybe more about the sauna being the only place where the Finnish men are allowed to show their feelings and to open up.
One of the best new Finnish films I've seen in a while.

"Naked Finnish men sit in the sauna and speak straight from their heart. In the warmth of rusty stoves these men cleanse themselves both physically and mentally. The film takes us to many different Finnish saunas to let us hear touching stories about love, death, birth and friendship; about life. In all of its simplicity camera records the landscapes, saunas and men in almost magical pictures. The presence of the characters and the depth of the emotion reaches the limit where it is almost intolerable for the viewer to watch. This film reveals the naked souls of these men exceptionally intimately and creates a poetic portrayal of Finnish men."

a-p a. niemi 06.23.2010 04:11 AM

I had about 40°C fever for the last three days, watched some films + 1½ seasons of Oz

a-p a. niemi 06.23.2010 04:13 AM

Populärmusik från Vittula was great, others not so much, even if they had their good moments

krischanski 06.23.2010 05:38 AM

Die Eleganz der Madame Michel
http://www.madamemichel.senator.de/

Rob Instigator 06.23.2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a-p a. niemi
Yeah of course, it's a documentary about Finnish men. Or maybe more about the sauna being the only place where the Finnish men are allowed to show their feelings and to open up.
One of the best new Finnish films I've seen in a while.

"Naked Finnish men sit in the sauna and speak straight from their heart. In the warmth of rusty stoves these men cleanse themselves both physically and mentally. The film takes us to many different Finnish saunas to let us hear touching stories about love, death, birth and friendship; about life. In all of its simplicity camera records the landscapes, saunas and men in almost magical pictures. The presence of the characters and the depth of the emotion reaches the limit where it is almost intolerable for the viewer to watch. This film reveals the naked souls of these men exceptionally intimately and creates a poetic portrayal of Finnish men."

Thanks. gonna see if it is available on the netflix

Rob Instigator 06.23.2010 08:58 AM

while 7 is a very creepy gross thing, I found it just as manipulative and forced as people claim M Night Shamalayan's movies are. The "twist" at the end was obvious.

gualbert 06.23.2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krischanski

Die Eleganz der Madame Michel
http://www.madamemichel.senator.de/

Seems awful.
I enjoyed the book, big success in France.

batreleaser 06.23.2010 09:30 AM

Brad Pitt was terrible in Seven. He's pretty damn good now but he is no natural actor that's for sure.

gualbert 06.23.2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
Brad Pitt [..] is no natural actor that's for sure.

What do you mean??!
(I think he was really good in 7 btw)

atsonicpark 06.23.2010 11:37 AM

Se7en = 10/10

Count Mecha 06.23.2010 12:12 PM

Seven rocks. I really like how they were able to keep Kevin Spacey's involvement minimalized up until he showed up towards the end. That was great. Pitt's acting? Not so great. "What's in the booooox?" "No! No!" "Oh God! Oh God!"

Still, stellar movie.

Rob Instigator 06.23.2010 12:21 PM

so you guys do not think the ending was obvious about 30 minutes ahead of time??

batreleaser 06.23.2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gualbert
What do you mean??!
(I think he was really good in 7 btw)

I mean he got famous because he's pretty, not talented. After years of acting coaching and big parts and learning comedy, he's pretty good.

His overacting in Seven is ridiculous, hard to watch for me to be honest. To think he did "Fight Club" only two years later is insane, so much improvement.

a-p a. niemi 06.23.2010 12:54 PM

atsonicpark 06.23.2010 01:41 PM

His acting in Fight Club is even more ridiuclous. He's awesome in Se7en, fail to see the big deal at all. It's a great, slick mainstream thriller.

Through a Glass Darkly = 10/10

TheFoxBen 06.23.2010 01:42 PM

9/10. I think I like it better than the first one.

Ghostchase 06.23.2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a-p a. niemi

Love it!