Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Rob Instigator 06.09.2010 04:41 PM

shutter island is a very cool-looking movie, but i never want to see it again.

Keeping It Simple 06.09.2010 05:34 PM

atsonicpark 06.09.2010 07:07 PM

get him to the greek - 7/10

Shocked that this was good!

noisereductions 06.09.2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
get him to the greek - 7/10

Shocked that this was good!

wow... doesn't like like yr kind of movie. I liked SARAH MARSHALL a lot, so I plan to see this.

ni'k 06.09.2010 07:47 PM

and our skeletons litter the afghan desert

wellcharge 06.09.2010 07:53 PM

Rob Instigator 06.10.2010 08:29 AM

when life slips you a "jeffrey"...

Last night watched this with the lady

Man. 10/10. beautiful to look at, very odd combination of childlike wonder and awe and very harsh adult themes. Loved it.

noisereductions 06.10.2010 08:40 AM

I've had some Sasha Grey movie that sounds like a Blood Sucking Freaks homage laying around for like 2 wks, but haven't watched becuz we've been neck-deep (get it?) in True Blood Season 2, trying to play catch-up in time for the Season 3 kick-off.

chicka 06.10.2010 01:02 PM

another sensational job by Mr. Penn.

Rob Instigator 06.10.2010 01:09 PM

Am I the only one who does not enjoy bio-pics?

even the best of them (Bird, for example) are not enjoyable as stories to me. they are more like looking through a cinematic photo album rather than hearing a great tale.

I think they do have their place, but as films, I rarely enjoy them on the same level as I enjoy a film that just tells me an engrossing tale.

Maybe it helps not to know anything about the subject of said film?

ni'k 06.10.2010 01:12 PM

its just a pity the 2 biggest mainstream gay movies of the 00's didnt have to end with main characters murdered cos they were gay.

we need milk 2 - harvey strikes back! in which zombie harvey milk is ressurected and reeks shotgun vengeance on the christian establishment.

seriously tho, we need to loose the subtext that gayness is nihilistic and suicidal, because i do think those films can be read that way (milk and brokeback), despite being considerable successes. and they were both still good films with some excellent performances.

chicka 06.10.2010 01:21 PM

Personally I love true stories be they bio-pics or the telling of an event.
Something about knowing this really happened strikes a chord in me. I also enjoy the King Kongs and Chaddyshacks of the world also. It is sad that they ended with murder but in Milk's case how else could it have ended? Also I knew very little about Milk before hand other than the fact that Dan the man murdered him...

Rob Instigator 06.10.2010 01:29 PM

that's my issue with it. if I know about a person or evnt then I cannot help but judge what the movie has done wrong, or what it has taken liberties with (as movies have to do)
If I know nothing of the subject then I have to assum the entire time I am watching that any detail in the film is actually just made up by the filmmaker to better serve the story.

I'd rather read a biography which has these same issues but at least there I can see the back of the book for a bibliography/source notes.

atsonicpark 06.10.2010 03:37 PM

This should be a new movie:

ni'k 06.10.2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicka
Personally I love true stories be they bio-pics or the telling of an event.
Something about knowing this really happened strikes a chord in me. I also enjoy the King Kongs and Chaddyshacks of the world also. It is sad that they ended with murder but in Milk's case how else could it have ended? Also I knew very little about Milk before hand other than the fact that Dan the man murdered him...

Yeah i don't think they should have ended it differently, but i would just like to see a different more positive gay story in mainstream cinema, one were we fight back instead of die "gloriously".

TheFoxBen 06.10.2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
This should be a new movie:

Is that Shay Laren ? I like her.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.10.2010 04:01 PM

That .gif is mesmerizing.

viewtiful alan redux 06.10.2010 04:08 PM

5.5/10
Stoner classic.. but little else. I laughed alot, but it just starts to fall apart. Not as awesome as I had remembered

TheFoxBen 06.10.2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful alan redux

5.5/10
Stoner classic.. but little else. I laughed alot, but it just starts to fall apart. Not as awesome as I had remembered

I love it ! It would be a strong 8/10 for me, and I haven't even seen a single episode of the TV show ! I really love that kind of random humor, they can do whatever they want in this movie ! I'll watch it again one of these days.

atsonicpark 06.10.2010 04:30 PM

Yeah, The Aqua Teen movie blows. Go watch 12 Oz Mouse (since it's intended as a movie) if you want your mind blown. Greatest animated show/movie ever!

I watched