Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Photography Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=328)

Cantankerous 09.14.2008 02:50 AM

Cantankerous 09.14.2008 02:51 AM

oh look, and i saved the best picture for last (read: i saved the one where i look like a massive twat for last)

embarrassing as fuck.

MellySingsDoom 09.14.2008 04:02 AM

Those pics are bloody great, C - that looks like such a beautiful part of the world - so unspoilt and lovely. I especially like pics no 4 and 8.

Re. your last pic - you won't believe this I'm sure, but in that you look SO much like my half-sister Charlotte when she was 18/19. And she used to have red hair too.

Cantankerous 09.14.2008 04:09 AM

thank you
the air is so clean and it's so untouched and uncorrupted. i love the cities too, dublin is really cool. i want to go back SO bad. i would live there. people said the food was terrible and i strongly disagree, some of the best food i've had in my life was in ireland. i honestly cannot say enough good things about it.

that's weird about me looking like yr sister, i hope she didn't have a stupid camouflage jacket! and god i was so stupid when i was 15. looking at pictures even from two-three years ago makes me realise how much i've bettered myself :p

MellySingsDoom 09.14.2008 04:39 AM

(Have just sent you a PM, btw...)

I love Dublin too. It's a beautiful looking city, the people are really friendly, and it's got a great vibe to it. Did I tell you that my mate Dave lives there? (He lives south of the Liffey). You can't beat being in a proper Dublin boozer on a Saturday night - the booze and chat flowing freely, people staggering around trying to light their ciggies, bar and pub hopping.....ah, I really need to go back myself. Irish food is great! Good, hearty and healthy fare. There's some great cafes in Dublin too, both on the food and coffee front. I want to try and go to Belfast at some point too, that city sounds like a rocking place also.

Um, Charlotte DID have a camouflage jacket! :D. Before these comparisons get too spooky, panic ye not. I think that Charlie was still listening to Marilyn Manson when she was 15 (her music tastes have improved immeasurebly since then :p), and I know that most definitely weren't.

Cantankerous 09.14.2008 04:52 AM

damn i want to go back. i didn't get to see enough of dublin or cork.

belfast is wicked btw.

crazy, i was listening to jack off jill a lot when i was 15 who were heavily associated with manson...like manson's female counterparts

ni'k 09.14.2008 05:04 AM

ireland is so beautiful. i live here and i should know. you people seem to forget tho that EVERYONE IN IT IS A FUCKING CUNT and living here is SHIT.

i can look out my attic window right here right now and see lovely generic hills and suchforth that cataky has pictured but if i were to walk out my house and down the cycle path towards them i would not be able to get there without the encounter of at least one CUNT putting the irish cunt versus irish people are nice thing as such -

drunken irish person in a bar seeing the novelty of some tourists and saying "well what's the craic!" because they want the tourist to by them a drink = that same person being a cunt on for the rest of their existance

Anngella 09.14.2008 11:18 AM

Cantankerous I am so so so jealous that you got to go to Ireland. It's always been top on my list of places I want to go. My favorite is the second picture in your second post. They are all fantastic, though.

demonrail666 09.14.2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ni'k
ireland is so beautiful. i live here and i should know. you people seem to forget tho that EVERYONE IN IT IS A FUCKING CUNT and living here is SHIT.

Word! (Belfast at least)

Grete 09.14.2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
From Sarlat and Domme in Dordogne:

lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Incesticide 09.14.2008 01:22 PM

Garden Nef Party - Angoulême :

The Kills :

Brian Jonestown Massacre :

Justice :

More at : www.flickr.com/photos/incesticide/

Incesticide 09.14.2008 01:24 PM

A vintage town near my town :

Incesticide 09.14.2008 01:25 PM

jon boy 09.14.2008 01:37 PM

jon boy 09.14.2008 01:39 PM

jon boy 09.14.2008 01:40 PM

MellySingsDoom 09.14.2008 01:44 PM

jon boy - awesome pics. Whereabouts were they taken?

jon boy 09.14.2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
jon boy - awesome pics. Whereabouts were they taken?

out and about in canada.

Incesticide 09.14.2008 01:46 PM

Lovely pics Cantankerous.

With my Canon AE-1 :

Incesticide 09.14.2008 01:48 PM

Incesticide 09.14.2008 01:49 PM

EMMAh 09.14.2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incesticide
A vintage town near my town :

Awesome :D

Along with the second two ;)

Cantankerous 09.15.2008 05:55 AM

MellySingsDoom 09.15.2008 06:17 AM

C - more Ireland pictures, I take it? I really like pic no 3 in particular, very eye-catching, and the others are fine too. The way the lights and colours are in pic 1 give the photo a rather striking look - I was going to say "lunar", but I'm not sure that's the right word I'm looking for. I'm guessing that these were taken on film, as pics 1 and 3 in particular have a richness and depth of colour, plus a feel that digital hasn't yet managed to capture.

Cantankerous 09.15.2008 06:21 AM

ireland: yes
film: no

the ones i took on film actually turned out terribly

thanks again btw

Cantankerous 09.15.2008 06:31 AM

i made friends with him only to find out what a jackass he really is.

sorry that was terrible but i made friends with this donkey while i was there.

_slavo_ 09.15.2008 06:36 AM

Nice pics Catanks, even the "massive twat" one .. you sure have changed a wee bit.
Ireland is ranked very high in my "must visit" list of countries, just below Japan and Scandinavian countries.

MellySingsDoom 09.15.2008 06:38 AM

C - Re: the comment on your donkey pic - Ha ha! *comedy drumroll for C*

I'm still kicking myself for not taking decent pics of the Guinness Brewery in Dublin when I first went a few years ago.

Your "mural" pics (number 2) I take it is a Republican mural (Che Guevara w/Republican peoples). Even with the perhaps at times very dubious political connotations, some of the big Republican/Unionist murals in Northern Ireland are still very striking to this day.

Cantankerous 09.15.2008 06:38 AM

i have no idea what it is but the murals in belfast were amazing.

melly i think the word you were looking for was not lunar but rather surreal or ethereal. maybe.

_slavo_ 09.15.2008 06:44 AM

btw, what else cities did you get to visit in Netherlands besides Amsterdam?

Cantankerous 09.15.2008 06:45 AM

i didn't go anywhere besides amsterdam, i didn't see the point. i went there for one reason and one reason only.

MellySingsDoom 09.15.2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i have no idea what it is but the murals in belfast were amazing.

melly i think the word you were looking for was not lunar but rather surreal or ethereal. maybe.

"Ethereal" is definitely closer to the mark, C. Something almost dreamlike about the pic, if you see what I mean, the colours being really vivid and almost, um, trippy I suppose. Amazing what beauty nature presents to us, isn't it?

Cantankerous 09.15.2008 06:46 AM

yes. i wasn't so appreciative of it until i went there because i had never seen anything so uncorrupted by people.

_slavo_ 09.15.2008 06:46 AM

Quote:

i didn't go anywhere besides amsterdam, i didn't see the point. i went there for one reason and one reason only.

i see. i'm asking because I've seen some more (Den Haag & Haartenwijk) and really loved those so I thought you might share some experience too

Cantankerous 09.15.2008 06:47 AM

amsterdam was boring but the pot was gooooood

_slavo_ 09.15.2008 06:49 AM

Quote:

amsterdam was boring but the pot was gooooood

word. Amsterdam wasn't stunning at all. i even didn't visit a coffeeshop over there, had no time for it. i did visit one in Haartenwijk though and the hash was so strong i almost didn't make it out of the door.

Incesticide 09.15.2008 09:28 AM

Thank you EMMAh !

An old factory in Niort, France took with my AE-1 :

Incesticide 09.15.2008 09:29 AM

Incesticide 09.15.2008 09:30 AM

Incesticide 09.16.2008 02:24 PM