Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Good British Rock Bands (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=24422)

MellySingsDoom 08.17.2008 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Isle of Skye

Cheers Derek!

Cantankerous 08.17.2008 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
^^^ Lady C - I would name Ramleh as being the best rock band in the UK right now. How can I prove it? A tough call, but...wait for a PM - coming "soon"...

i'll listen to it when i wake up
i really really really like the kills

no one makes rock records anymore though

MellySingsDoom 08.17.2008 07:53 AM

^^^Not in the classic sense, no - Oasis and The Verve (and Paul Cunting Weller) can go eat shit.

demonrail666 08.17.2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i'll listen to it when i wake up
i really really really like the kills

no one makes rock records anymore though

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Who would you say were one of the last bands making 'rock'?

MellySingsDoom 08.17.2008 09:41 AM

demonrail - Afternoon sir!

I think what Cantanky is getting at is rock in the Stones/Led Zep/maybe even Sex Pistols sense...

demonrail666 08.17.2008 09:59 AM

Hello there Mr Singsdoom.

Yeah, it'd be pretty impossible for a band to come on in that kind of way without being forced to play the irony card pretty heavily. The last one I can think of was probably Guns n Roses. God is it really 21 years ago since Appetite for Destruction came out? I feel old!

MellySingsDoom 08.17.2008 10:06 AM

For you, demon (and Lady C too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oobDQ0vdm8M

demonrail666 08.17.2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

For you, demon (and Lady C too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oobDQ0vdm8M

Ah thanks, talk about a band that had it and then lost it.

Cantankerous 08.17.2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Who would you say were one of the last bands making 'rock'?

i think rock really kind of died out with the eighties when alternative music came in. i very much consider punk to be rock as well, a lot of it was just aggro chuck berry riffs! i mean when stuff like the cure and PIL and all that came around.

guns n roses are (were) a rock band. in their day.

but i mean like, just straight rock, like the stones or zeppelin and them. minimal amounts of experimentation (not to say that there wasn't some with those bands), bunch of dudes just rocking out.

MellySingsDoom 08.17.2008 11:00 AM

When I look at a band like Oasis, the only words that come to mind are "Why are you treating rock like a fucking museum piece, you wankers?"....

I feel there's a definite sense of rock (as we know it in the classical sense) in the UK as being in stasis - too many goddamn bands quoting too much from the past without an actual idea of their own. Also: horrible parody bands like The Darkness (ugh!) don't exactly breathe any life into the old corpse. Also, in the UK, the whole "Acid House" explosion is still being felt now, 20 years later - I don't rock will ever have the status it once did here, or as it still seems to do in the USA...

Cantankerous 08.17.2008 11:18 AM

the darkness hahaha

the only bands that have come about within the last ten years or so that i really do like are the kills and the white stripes. probably something else i can't think of at the moment. but yeah.

there are no rock bands here either melly. not really. the shit you hear on the radio is not rock, it's corporate hogwash.

demonrail666 08.17.2008 11:21 AM

I don't think it's possible to serve up rock 'straight' anymore. Too many things have happened between its heyday in the 70s and now. The only bands, in Britain at least, who seem to be able to get away with it these days are Motorhead and Iron Maiden (but they're treated more like institutions now, than they are bands.)

MellySingsDoom 08.17.2008 11:24 AM

I find the spirit of "classic" rock very much alive and well in the Metal world. I could show you acres of Metallly goodness here at Casa Melly, but nowt in the way of good, modern rock.

demonrail666 08.17.2008 11:28 AM

QotSA's Songs for the Deaf was pretty much the last example of a pure Rock album that I can think of. But even there you get the sense that their tongues were resting quite firmly against their cheeks.

Cantankerous 08.17.2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't think it's possible to serve up rock 'straight' anymore. Too many things have happened between its heyday in the 70s and now. The only bands, in Britain at least, who seem to be able to get away with it these days are Motorhead and Iron Maiden (but they're treated more like institutions now, than they are bands.)

yeah but they've been around for so many years. no one new is doing anything exciting in that vein.

MellySingsDoom 08.17.2008 12:20 PM

C - it's interesting that the 2 bands you mention are both male+female duos, going against the tired, sexist cliche that only men can "rock". Also interesting that they both use the blues as reference points without merely doing blues facsimilies. And both are signed (at least in the UK) to indepedent labels - proof indeed that one need not lie down with the corporate devil...

Cantankerous 08.17.2008 12:29 PM

yeah...
yeah.

al shabbray 08.17.2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

demonrail - Afternoon sir!

I think what Cantanky is getting at is rock in the Stones/Led Zep/maybe even Sex Pistols sense...

yeahyeahyeahs maybe?
in their own kind of way of course. but I think they are rockin like hell

Cantankerous 08.17.2008 12:54 PM

the yeah yeah yeahs are okay. well not their most recent album, that was utter shit. but their first EP is dynamite.

al shabbray 08.17.2008 12:58 PM

I think master and fever to tell are pipe bombs when it comes to boom-stuff ?!!
Love that sound. and yes their second album got som pretty melodies, but thats it. before that it was great melodies combined with pure energy, even as a live band they are not that energetic anymore (saw them 4 times, and the first times in a 100 people club)