Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bands that were dynamite but now stink. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14914)

Torn Curtain 07.24.2007 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
Pixies! They were great before they reunited - pretty obvious though.

Pixies went crap before they even split. They should've gone their seperate ways an album earlier, or possibly even two albums.

I agree.

As regards the reunion I don't think its was that bad, they pulled a great show at Belfort.

sonicl 07.24.2007 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
whaaaaa? trompe le mond is their best record! sure, bossanova wasn't very good, but damn...

as far as their reunion goes, how can you say they were great before they reunited? they have recorded two songs since reuniting; one a cover and one.. just some throwaway thing no one cares about. also, their live playing is better than ever. so, they actually are better than they've ever been, technically. they have not released a full length record since reuniting, so i'm not sure how you can say they "stink" now. unless the idea of them ever playing their songs for people who never got to the see them before bothers you that much... then, i guess they do "stink".

I can't comment on post-reunion Pixies, as I wasn't interested enough to take any notice. But I can comment on pre-split, as I saw them four times on four different tours, and they were fantastic on the first two, but decidedly lacklustre on the last two. By the last two albums/tours their hearts weren't in it, the band was beset by problems with drugs and with relationships within the band. And the albums contained a few very good songs, but also a lot of very watery stuff. If they had split before recording those last two albums we would have been deprived of, maybe, six decent songs, but they would have finished on an incredible high with a near faultless discography behind them. As it is, they are looked upon as a great band that lost its way.

_slavo_ 07.24.2007 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
the gathering, home kinda sucks, but before that, wow! i still have faith in them to come out with another genre-defying album.

I used to be a real diehard fan some 8 years ago. Nighttime Birds and How To Measure a Planet were absolutely wonderful, then If_then_else were a little bit of a letdown, but after that it was just pure disaster (Souvenirs included).

However, seen them live in 2002 in Prague and they threw in some great show including weird things like theremin etc.

I've heard they have quite a maniacal fanbase in Mexico.

sonicl 07.24.2007 07:09 AM

John Spencer Blues Explosion were great for a while but then lost it too. I think Orange is the pivot point on that one.

atsonicpark 07.24.2007 07:59 AM

interesting. i guess the opinion is different in england, because here i don't remember anyone ever saying the pixies lost their way. motorway to roswell, planet of sound, trompe le monde (title track), and space (i believe in) are considered to be some of their finest songs, i think. hmm.

i can't comment about their live playing though i'm sure they sucked then and probably suck now.

pbradley 07.24.2007 08:08 AM

I personally only dig the Pixies' first three albums.

Although I do like Dig For Fire, U-Mass, and Head On (one of my favorite covers).

atsonicpark 07.24.2007 08:13 AM

see, and those are my least three favorite pixies songs.

some people are just opposite.

sarramkrop 07.24.2007 08:17 AM

Pixies are a cool band but they have always been rubbish live. I never understood why they would insist on playing the songs live exactly like they played them on record. What is the point in doing that in a live setting?

pbradley 07.24.2007 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
see, and those are my least three favorite pixies songs.

some people are just opposite.

funny how that happens sometimes.

Pookie 07.24.2007 08:51 AM

Foetus.

Pookie 07.24.2007 08:51 AM

Tom Waits.

A Thousand Threads 07.24.2007 09:08 AM

Isis
Jesu

Everyneurotic 07.24.2007 09:09 AM

i saw some video of the pixies in their reunion playing in boston and it was a fucking train wreck, song after song it was a disaster; either frank was too fat and tired (and i don't mean "fat" in a mean way i mean fat in like he is physically incapable of doing shit because of his weight) to really sing, or they played the songs with a lot of disregard for it or (and this is the part i truly could not stand, as the others are products of time and age and can't be avoided) joey santiago, genius texturial guitar, went EVERY FUCKING TIME he needed to play a part to play the wah pedal like if he was tom morello, joey santiago could piss circles around tom morello with no pedals at all, yet he feels the need to use a wah every time a song needs his contributions. what the fuck? the only guy in the band who still plays amazingly is david lovering and they could pull out some songs amazingly, like "monkey gone to heaven".

and this was post coachella, it was filmed last year, actually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
I used to be a real diehard fan some 8 years ago. Nighttime Birds and How To Measure a Planet were absolutely wonderful, then If_then_else were a little bit of a letdown, but after that it was just pure disaster (Souvenirs included).

However, seen them live in 2002 in Prague and they threw in some great show including weird things like theremin etc.

I've heard they have quite a maniacal fanbase in Mexico.

what? souvenirs is genius!!! completely different from nighttime birds but then ntb is different from mandylion, they always did diverse albums.

yes, lots of people are into them in mx, actually, that almost turned me off to check them out, but i did. they used to play here in mexico every year. one of their first tours with anneke they played here, the place sold out and were singing to all their songs, so they decided to come back as much as possible. i never got to see them, every year, i'd say "oh, i'll go next year".

sonicl 07.24.2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
Jesu

:eek:

A Thousand Threads 07.24.2007 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
:eek:

:cool:

that's my opinion.

sonicl 07.24.2007 09:22 AM

I'm not standing up for Jesu, I'm just surprised because 2 LPs and 2 EPs doesn't seem to be enough releases to qualify for moving from dynamite to stinking.

A Thousand Threads 07.24.2007 09:24 AM

look at videos of their earlier gigs and then watch some recent footage.
Trust me, you'll smell it.

sonicl 07.24.2007 09:26 AM

Hmmm, there was a slight odour when I saw them, but I put that down to them being better kept in a refrigerated studio than in an overheated club.

atsonicpark 07.24.2007 09:28 AM

jesu? what?!

(echoed)

Torn Curtain 07.24.2007 09:29 AM

Noir Désir.