Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   post comething completely irrelevant! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6857)

ALIEN ANAL 01.10.2007 06:31 AM

Do you guys get boners when your kissing a girl

jon boy 01.10.2007 06:52 AM

i really want to buy some new shoes.

sonicl 01.10.2007 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
i really want to but some new shoes.

What are you, some kind of a goat?

ALIEN ANAL 01.10.2007 07:11 AM

ahah funny
i need new shoes, im wearing shoes from a street stall in bangkok

jon boy 01.10.2007 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
What are you, some kind of a goat?

yes, yes i am and i am a little sensetive about it if you dont mind. now watch it or a severe goat related incident will occur on your way home.

sonicl 01.10.2007 07:19 AM

okay, okay. Don't get your udders in a twist.

Hip Priest 01.10.2007 11:06 AM

'Brainy' chickpeas conquered the world

* 09 January 2007
* NewScientist.com news service

Could the humble chickpea have changed the course of history? As one of the founder crops cultivated in the fertile crescent of Mesopotamia, the chickpea's nutritional benefits have been cited as one of the reasons for the rise of civilisation there.

Now Zohar Kerem from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel, thinks he has evidence to support that view. Kerem and colleagues collected wild chickpeas (Cicer reticulatum) and compared their nutritional value with that of cultivated varieties. Wild chickpeas are rare and difficult to cultivate, so there must have been a good reason why our ancestors persevered with growing them around 11,000 years ago.

That reason, says Kerem, is the amino acid tryptophan - a precursor of the neurotransmitter serotonin. Increased amounts in the diet may improve performance when under stress. Tryptophan also promotes ovulation, an advantage during a time of human expansion. Cultivated chickpeas had over 3 times as much tryptophan as their wild cousins (Journal of Archaeological Science, in press).

Kerem speculates that prehistoric people knew chickpeas were nutritious. "It probably made them feel good," he says. Not everyone is convinced that chickpeas kick-started human empires. "There is no clear indication of when selection for increased brain effects occurred - was it 10,000 years ago or 5000?" says Bruce Smith of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC.

From issue 2585 of New Scientist magazine, 09 January 2007, page 16

Hip Priest 01.10.2007 11:11 AM

Ukrainian drunk escapes dolphin gang drowning attempt

Murderous Crimean cetaceans mar New Year dip

RZSL Ukrainian emergency workers saved a drunken swimmer in the Black Sea from an attack by a pod of killer dolphins who were trying to drown him.

The man was reportedly "heavily under the influence of alcohol" at the time. He had braved the near-freezing dolphin-infested waters in the belief they would be good for his health. That's his story and he's sticking to it.

The man was some 30m from the shore when observers noticed his distress as he was harried by a feeding group.

asyl Tenishchev, a spokesman at the Ukrainian Emergency Situations Ministry, said: "If our guys had not been there, the victim surely would have been drowned. The dolphins probably were feeding on fish by cornering schools against the pier and the breakwater, and they saw the man as competition."

Hip Priest 01.11.2007 09:41 AM

Ancient 'warrior' found in permafrost

From correspondents in Moscow

January 10, 2007 11:48pm
Article from: Agence France-Presse

RUSSIAN archaeologists have uncovered the 2000-year-old remains of a warrior preserved intact in permafrost in the Altai
* mountains region, the official Rossiiskaya Gazeta daily says.

The warrior was blond had tattoos on his body. He was wearing a felt coat with sable fur trimmings and was buried in a wooden frame containing drawings of mythological creatures with an icepick beside him, the paper said.

Local archaeologists believe the man was part of the ruling elite of a local nomadic tribe known as the Pazyryk. Numerous other Pazyryk tombs have been found in the area.

“This is definitely a very serious discovery. It's incredibly lucky that the burial was in permafrost so it was very well preserved,” Alexei Tishkin, an Altai archaeologist, was quoted as saying.

*As it happens, the best vodka in the world is from that region, and is called Altai.

jon boy 01.11.2007 09:45 AM

i could die for a slice of coffee cake sometimes.

Hip Priest 01.11.2007 09:48 AM

When I was a lad, coffee cake was real coffee cake that tasted of coffee. Now it tastes very slightly of coffee, and it just isn't the same. The rule nowadays seems to be to take the coffee out and shove a walnut on top, whatever good that's supposed to do.

Sainsbury's chocolate pannetone cake is currently on post-Christmas offer: £2.24 instead of £8! How about that?

jon boy 01.11.2007 09:52 AM

i say i am off to sainsbury's on the way home. thanks for that.

sonicl 01.11.2007 09:54 AM

Coffee sponge with mascarpone icing

Serves 8-10

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes, plus cooling

Ingredients
225g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
225g caster sugar
225ml vegetable oil
2 medium eggs, separated
2 heaped tsp instant coffee granules, dissolved in 2 tsp boiling water
75ml whole milk

Icing
125g mascarpone
125g butter, softened
¼ tsp grated lemon zest
350g icing sugar, sifted
1 heaped tbsp instant coffee granules, dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water

Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease 2 round, 20cm springform cake tins and line the bottom of each with a disc of non-stick baking paper.

Sift the flour, baking powder and caster sugar into a mixing bowl. Beat in the oil, egg yolks, coffee and milk until just incorporated. In a second bowl, whisk the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Stir a spoonful of the whites into the cake mixture before gently folding in the rest. Divide the mixture equally between the tins. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the sponges spring back when gently pressed in the centre. Transfer the tins to a rack to cool. Unmould the cakes while still warm and leave them on the rack to cool completely.

For the icing, put the mascarpone, butter and lemon zest into a bowl and beat together. Add the icing sugar, about one-third at a time, working each addition in completely before adding the next, until you have a thick paste. Finally, beat in the coffee, a little at a time, until fully incorporated. Spread half the icing on one sponge, then put the second sponge on top. Spread the rest of the icing over the top of the cake, and serve.

Hip Priest 01.11.2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
i say i am off to sainsbury's on the way home. thanks for that.

It's hand-made by a family in Italy, or something.

They've got a very nice extra-mature cheddar half price. That's good too. Oh! Oh! Oh! There's some OK veggie stuuf half price aswell.

Sainsbury's organic milk is excellent, I think.

Hip Priest 01.11.2007 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Coffee sponge with mascarpone icing

Serves 8-10

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes, plus cooling

Ingredients
225g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
225g caster sugar
225ml vegetable oil
2 medium eggs, separated
2 heaped tsp instant coffee granules, dissolved in 2 tsp boiling water
75ml whole milk

Icing
125g mascarpone
125g butter, softened
¼ tsp grated lemon zest
350g icing sugar, sifted
1 heaped tbsp instant coffee granules, dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water

Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease 2 round, 20cm springform cake tins and line the bottom of each with a disc of non-stick baking paper.

Sift the flour, baking powder and caster sugar into a mixing bowl. Beat in the oil, egg yolks, coffee and milk until just incorporated. In a second bowl, whisk the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Stir a spoonful of the whites into the cake mixture before gently folding in the rest. Divide the mixture equally between the tins. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the sponges spring back when gently pressed in the centre. Transfer the tins to a rack to cool. Unmould the cakes while still warm and leave them on the rack to cool completely.

For the icing, put the mascarpone, butter and lemon zest into a bowl and beat together. Add the icing sugar, about one-third at a time, working each addition in completely before adding the next, until you have a thick paste. Finally, beat in the coffee, a little at a time, until fully incorporated. Spread half the icing on one sponge, then put the second sponge on top. Spread the rest of the icing over the top of the cake, and serve.

Thank you Mr l. If I make that, I'll put extra coffee in.

sonicl 01.11.2007 09:57 AM

Extra coffee! I think I've found the reason for your sleeping problem.

Hip Priest 01.11.2007 10:00 AM

I've cut right down on coffee, actually. I stick to about six cups a day now, which is a pretty bloody impressive feat. It's made sod all difference to the sleep issue.

Got to go back to work now. See you later.

Pookie 01.11.2007 10:12 AM

Talking of making cakes. You HAVE to make this one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...ke_84675.shtml

I can't describe how nice it is, and how simple to make. And the smells that come from your kitchen while you're making it are incredible.

Go on, give it a go.

jon boy 01.11.2007 10:26 AM

david beckham will join LA galaxy next year.

Anti 01.11.2007 11:10 AM

"Serial killers tend to be white, heterosexual males in their twenties and thirties who are sexually dysfunctional and have low self-esteem. Their methodical rampages are almost always sexual in nature. Their killings are usually part of an elaborate fantasy that builds to a climax at the moment of their murderous outburst. Serial killers generally murder strangers with cooling off periods between each crime. Many enjoy cannibalism, necrophilia and keep trophy-like body parts as mementos of their work. Serial killers are sadistic in nature. Some return to crime scenes or grave sites of their victims to fantasize about their deeds. Many like to insert themselves in the investigation of their crimes and some enjoy taunting authorities with letters or carefully placed pieces of evidence."