Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Keeping It Simple 11.29.2012 08:25 AM

Fahrenheit 451.

Rob Instigator 11.30.2012 03:51 PM

remember when the cook farted in Down Periscope?

!@#$%! 11.30.2012 06:06 PM

waltz with bashir.

holy fuck. the end of this movie kicks you in the stomach and leaves you without air. MUST watch.

demonrail666 12.01.2012 06:28 AM

The Wrestler

This is a great movie but it's pretty much a showcase for Mickey Rourke's extraordinary performance. I was never a fan of him in his heyday but he's just brilliant here.

demonrail666 12.01.2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

waltz with bashir.

holy fuck. the end of this movie kicks you in the stomach and leaves you without air. MUST watch.

I've still yet to see that. I'll definitely stick on my list, though, after you saying that.

demonrail666 12.01.2012 05:36 PM

Trees Lounge

I can't tell if this is a great film or even a good one; I have such a hopelessly romantic fascination with the kinds of people/lives/locations it portrays that I can only say it gives me pretty much everything that I could possibly want in a movie. About as perfect for me as the average toe would be to a foot fetishist.

demonrail666 12.02.2012 07:20 PM

Bringing Out the Dead

Not one of Scorsese's best. Too close to Taxi Driver and it does feel a good half an hour too long but I'm convinced that had it been made by anybody else, which would've brought expectation levels down a bit, it'd have a far better reputation than it does.

Gone Baby Gone

Whatever people may think of Ben Affleck the actor he's quietly turning out some pretty interesting films as a director. This is perhaps a bit too gloomy for its own good but even so, like The Town, this is far better than any film directed by Ben Affleck probably should be.

Nefeli 12.08.2012 06:45 AM

i ll watch this now; Chris Marker - The Jetty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-smEWxVUy3A

tw2113 12.09.2012 03:18 AM

Piranha and Piranha 3DD

demonrail666 12.09.2012 10:16 AM

Taking of Pelham One, Two Three

Good low-key heist movie that was an influence on Reservoir Dogs. Curious to see the remake.

Dr Chocolate 12.10.2012 03:14 AM

i just watched 3 versions of MONSTER ZERO

the original Japanese one
the English dubbed version
and then english version with commentary

good stuff

next dvd up -> Godzilla vs The Three Headed Monster

EVOLghost 12.10.2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
remember when the cook farted in Down Periscope?

Did he get pink eye?

Dr Chocolate 12.10.2012 11:45 AM

demonrail666 12.15.2012 03:39 PM

Silkwood

Severian 12.16.2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99

Still not quite sure what to make of this. One of the more interesting "newer" films I've seen. I was tired though and need to watch it again.

I admired the dreary landscapes and whatnot, but I found this to be a bit dull. The opening scene and the use of fog were the highlights for me. I honestly thought the acting was poor and overall I'm just not that crazy about Orson Welles. I know I'm being a little harsh, because this still isn't a terrible movie by any means necessary. I've noticed that lately I haven't been in the best of moods to watch movies. Also, if I want a film adaptation of Macbeth I'd rather watch the superior "Throne of Blood".

I love the Welles version. If I recall correctly from my AP lit class in high school. I was unnerved and transfixed by it, and it helped me finally develop a genuine interest in Shakespeare.

!@#$%! 12.16.2012 11:34 AM

i tried watching this

it's supposed to be a great movie. i was supposed to love it. i got bored shitless and ended it with 1 hour to go (it's very fucking long). it's not that it was a "bad" movie but the winter is a bitchmother season and this movie is too much fucking misery to bear. i mean, iran looks like such a shit country to live in, i'd probably kill myself if i lived there, and i've seen enough iranian movies about miserable iranians and their nutty religious laws to last me a lifetime. but yeah it's supposed to be great etc. just oo much of a downer.

demonrail666 12.16.2012 06:07 PM

Panic in Needle Park

This one's highly recommended to anyone into the whole lowlife 70s NY thing.

tw2113 12.17.2012 02:44 AM

A Christmas Carol with Alaster Sim

Genteel Death 12.17.2012 11:16 AM

I've watched Victor Erice's ''The Spirit of the Beehive''. It was wonderful.

batreleaser 12.17.2012 11:31 AM

Pacino hadn't really come into his own as an actor yet in Panic in Needle Part. Its ok though.

Watched Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy for the 2nd time. It was great the second go around. One if the best casts in any film of the last few years.

Dr Chocolate 12.18.2012 12:51 AM

Dr Chocolate 12.18.2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99
I'm starting to dig into the Qatsi Trilogy by Godfrey Reggio. And man this is profound stuff.

First one I saw was Koyaanisqatsi... I believe this to be the first of the set of films. Not sure if it's vital what order you watch them in anyways. This film here has altered the way I look at film in general. This film is devoid of characters, plot, dialogue etc. It is merely a collection of images and music. The soundtrack is brilliant... ghostly, dreamlike. The images are mostly of natural settings around the world. Slow motion techniques follow clouds, mountains, waterfalls.. just captivating and moving images. It sort of gives the eye a more detailed look... sort of magnified view of the world around us.. if that makes sense. This is easily one of the best films I've seen in who knows how long. It's very inspiring to me.

So... I'm looking forward to the next two.

not to be a spoiler, but it's not quite the same.
i've always felt the 3rd one was some american army brain washing propaganda.

demonrail666 12.18.2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
Pacino hadn't really come into his own as an actor yet in Panic in Needle Part. Its ok though.

It's not a great film but I do love Pacino in it. Although whenever I see him in anything I'm always aware that he's always teetering on the brink of unwatchable. That may be why I like him so much. That tension from knowing this could all go horribly wrong but never quite does.

And on that topic, just watched

Frankie and Johnny

This is a good test film for anyone undecided on where they stand regarding Pacino. The film itself is decent enough and seems to get better as it goes along but really, it's all about Pacino being Pacino for two hours. I have no problem with that personally but I can definitely see why some people would.

Rob Instigator 12.18.2012 10:21 AM

Hooo Yah!!!

tripsk 12.18.2012 01:52 PM

the dark knight rises. it wasn't even that good

demonrail666 12.20.2012 12:25 PM

I;m not likely to see any new releases now till the end of the new year so thought I'd give my end of year top 5:

1. The Master
2. The Avengers
3. Dark Knight Rises
4. Killer Joe
5. End of Watch

I almost didn't want to put The Master at number 1. I don't think its close to being PTAs best film but it's hard to pick a realistic challenger this year. For pure entertainment though, The Avengers was pretty much perfect and if I let my heart rule my head it would probably be my number 1. DKR was great and at times mindblowingly awesome. On lots of levels it was probably better than The Avengers but its maybe best appreciated by fans of the franchise overall (which I'm not, especially). Killer Joe was a film I didn't know quite what to make of when I first saw it but have since really grown to love it. End of Watch wasn't particularly great but I'm a fan of cop-buddy movies so I was inevitably gonna like it. The home footage thing is definitely getting old now, though.

!@#$%! 12.20.2012 11:22 PM

WHY ARE FRENCH MOVIES SO FUCKING AWESOME?????????????????????

fucking brilliant yessssssssssssssssssssss

sonic sphere 12.21.2012 10:37 AM

tw2113 12.22.2012 02:23 AM

Caught most of Chasing Amy on tv. Such a stupid idea proposed at the end.

demonrail666 12.22.2012 08:52 PM

Serpico

sonic sphere 12.23.2012 10:34 AM

Ghostchase 12.23.2012 04:13 PM

I love Catherine Deneuve, I'm downloading that movie!

I've watched very few films since my last time on here, but I did find the time to watch some amazing films... Ken Loach's "Kes", Fando y Lis, The Night of the Hunter, and re-watched Fish Tank. (Love that one!)

Most importantly I was able to rent a legit copy of Michelangelo Antonioni's "Red Desert" from my university. My life becomes a little more complete every time I take in an Antonioni and Vitti film. Sheer brilliance! What a change from his warm, wind torn, black & white drama, instead going for a coloured, vast, dark, industrial landscape, with Monica Vitti losing her mind much in the same vein as Gena Rowlands does in "A Woman Under the Influence", but not as severe. This is just another iconic Antonioni masterpiece.

Ghostchase 12.23.2012 04:50 PM

Oh yes, my favourite is hands down L'eclisse. But Red Desert is right up there with the rest, he utilizes colours much in same Kurosawa did when he made the transition from black & white to colour with his latter films and most importantly with his last, Ran, they both take advantage of palette, when it could easily be misused.

I have not yet seen Identification of a Woman, but I will as soon as possible.

keep poppin pimples 12.25.2012 12:53 AM

i watched the girl with dragon tattoo series. loved the first one. the second one was still enjoyable but a bit cartoonish with soviet spies and steroid freaks who feel no pain, and with lisbeth using such sophisticated tools and superhuman survival, it was a bit james bond/marvel comics territory. the third one i still sorta enjoyed but it was bad. it spends so much time restating things long known from previous films while ignoring stuff i actually wanted to know about like the prostitution investigation or what happened to miriam and paolo. they keep throwing out new twists and not taking them anywhere, instead they just show us characters watching news reports about things that were just shown, or yet another person reacting to lisbeth's video. lisbeth gets not much to do. and ronald? you get to see him kill some people who have nothing to do with the story. but why doesn't he talk? i wanted to something about how life was for him being raised by lisbeth's evil father(good idea to get a bulgarian actor for the face of evil) and why does he still want to kill lisbeth so badly? is it just because he was actually raised by the ukranian and east-europeans exist only to kill in this series(they certainly are sloppy hitmen getting their asses beat by wimpy unarmed swedish journalists, if they're SNIPERS why would they try to pull of some grossly conspicuous public execution?) this is such a long movie and the parts that could have been more interesting are ignored.

overall enjoyable series but steady decline in quality

sonic sphere 12.26.2012 08:23 AM

Trama 12.26.2012 10:35 AM

ha.

dale_gribble 12.26.2012 01:20 PM

!@#$%! 12.27.2012 10:32 PM

a bunch of good things

exit through the gift shop. watched it twice. HILARIOUS.

whit stillman's "damsels in distress". i'm a fan of whit stillman since i watched "metropolitan" back in the dark ages-- this movie wasn't that good but still it was enjoyable somehow-- if you don't like his shit definitely stay away. it's an acquired taste.

blank city-- about the origins of new york's 70's underground cinema and the followup into cinema of transgression. fun stuff.

why can't new york be a junkie-infested bombed-out city again, why???? :(

sonic sphere 12.28.2012 07:49 AM

sonic sphere 12.29.2012 11:10 AM