Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Photography Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=328)

Florya 05.08.2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
well, no, i'm not.

when i "upgraded" from film to digital it all became a mess. i've never been comfortable with that camera. too many fucking settings!

i liked it when all i had to worry about was iso, aperture, & shutter speed.

That's all you need to worry about with digital as well. Don't get freaked out by the technology.
If in doubt, shoot everything in RAW and sort it out in Photoshop :)

looking glass spectacle 05.08.2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florya
A few touristy shots of Paris.

those are beautiful

Florya 05.09.2008 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looking glass spectacle
those are beautiful

Thank you :)

nicfit 05.09.2008 06:53 AM

Florya, the Eiffel tower one is wonderful, great framing and contrasts.

nicfit 05.09.2008 07:12 AM

sad dog

EMMAh 05.09.2008 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit

Florya, the Eiffel tower one is wonderful, great framing and contrasts.

I love this!

Some pictures from yesterday:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emmarat/

Florya 05.11.2008 04:56 AM

EMMAh 05.12.2008 11:53 AM

I took these all at my grandparent's place, and there are way more on my Flickr.

Florya 05.13.2008 01:34 AM

Excellent again! Especially the second one.

screamingskull 05.13.2008 10:49 AM

a giant bear dog, this photo doesn't do it justice, it was massive!

screamingskull 05.13.2008 10:49 AM

screamingskull 05.13.2008 10:50 AM

screamingskull 05.13.2008 10:51 AM

demonrail666 05.13.2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull

Down tiger!, Grrrrr!

nicfit 05.13.2008 11:15 AM

some of those are great SS. I like this bunch of pics better than the ones you posted previously.

Incesticide 05.13.2008 12:00 PM

Took with my Diana De Luxe camera. I used 120 Ilford 3200 ISO film :

3 exposures

3 exposures

Incesticide 05.13.2008 12:01 PM

2 exposures

Largest here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/incesticide/

Kina 05.13.2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

I like the kind of washed out look of these they have a cool 70s feel about them

screamingskull 05.13.2008 03:20 PM

thats just from only using film, and most importantly refusing to put a flash on my camera.

Kina 05.14.2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

thats just from only using film, and most importantly refusing to put a flash on my camera.

ahh ok well it's a great effect, makes for a very chilled out ambience in the pics

screamingskull 05.14.2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kina
ahh ok well it's a great effect, makes for a very chilled out ambience in the pics

thanks! i love film, its where my confidence as a photographer is. Give me a digital camera and i turn into an 80 year old with a computer.

Kina 05.14.2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

thanks! i love film, its where my confidence as a photographer is. Give me a digital camera and i turn into an 80 year old with a computer.

Stick with it! I was overseeing the styling for a photography shoot the other day for work and the guy did great stuff, I was too focused on the photos to ask him about his camera but I will next time. It looked like he had a normal camera linked up to a computer, do you know how that works? He would set up the photo then you could just press enter on the computer and the camera would take a photo.

I did a tiny bit of photography during uni (just one mandatory subject) a while back but really I have no idea about it so excuse my ignorance with these things.

screamingskull 05.14.2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kina
Stick with it! I was overseeing the styling for a photography shoot the other day for work and the guy did great stuff, I was too focused on the photos to ask him about his camera but I will next time. It looked like he had a normal camera linked up to a computer, do you know how that works? He would set up the photo then you could just press enter on the computer and the camera would take a photo.

I did a tiny bit of photography during uni (just one mandatory subject) a while back but really I have no idea about it so excuse my ignorance with these things.

oh, well, i put myself down, i am pretty good with a digital. But i mostly just use it on 'automatic' which is sad. I have a Nikon D70S which is collecting dust under my computer table.

I did a photography diploma at college and left with a Distinction grade, i am now at the end of my 1st year at Art School (university) where i am studying Fine Art. So thats where i am photographically (is that a word?).

College was all the basics, so we did a year of film and darkroom printing and then a year of digital. I HATED the digital, and spent most of the 2nd year doing colour film and printing in the darkroom instead of using their digital cameras.

Art School is so freakishly laid-back i can do whatever i want, so all i do is photograph my friends with colour film, and present those photo's in weird wall space pieces and i get awesome grades!

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND ART SCHOOL FOR EVERYBODY, EVEN IF YOU SUCK AT ART.

This Is Not Here 05.14.2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Art School is so freakishly laid-back i can do whatever i want, so all i do is photograph my friends with colour film, and present those photo's in weird wall space pieces and i get awesome grades!

Looks like I picked the wrong place to study art!

EMMAh 05.14.2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

oh, well, i put myself down, i am pretty good with a digital. But i mostly just use it on 'automatic' which is sad. I have a Nikon D70S which is collecting dust under my computer table.

I did a photography diploma at college and left with a Distinction grade, i am now at the end of my 1st year at Art School (university) where i am studying Fine Art. So thats where i am photographically (is that a word?).

College was all the basics, so we did a year of film and darkroom printing and then a year of digital. I HATED the digital, and spent most of the 2nd year doing colour film and printing in the darkroom instead of using their digital cameras.

I love that you use film all the time, not a lot of people do that anymore. The past couple of days I've have an urge to get out my Pentax and take some pictures, but I haven't had the chance really.

You make art school sound sooo tempting, hopefully someday I'll be at one too.

screamingskull 05.15.2008 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMMAh
I love that you use film all the time, not a lot of people do that anymore. The past couple of days I've have an urge to get out my Pentax and take some pictures, but I haven't had the chance really.

You make art school sound sooo tempting, hopefully someday I'll be at one too.

hell yeah, go for it! Art school is the best most fun thing i have ever done!

johnnywinternoshow 05.15.2008 07:29 AM

A few gig photos from the last few weeks, Dino Jr, The Fall,

Perhaps my favourite photo I've ever taken

johnnywinternoshow 05.15.2008 07:38 AM

Damo Suzuki

Chris Corsano

Kina 05.15.2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

That does sounds fun indeed, it's good you're getting to explore the kind of photos you like. I went to a college of fine arts which is part of a bigger university but the college has its own arty campus really far away to the main one. I studied design though so there was no chilling out for me, our course was so jam-packed and difficult that I never got much time to explore anything, just go from one full-on thing to the next, so yeah I did some short intro to photography just so that we had it as a skill when we left uni. So you're very lucky..enjoy!

Torn Curtain 05.16.2008 03:03 PM

HECKLER SPRAY 05.16.2008 03:09 PM

^Charente ?^^

Torn Curtain 05.16.2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HECKLER SPRAY
^Charente ?^^

Yep.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.16.2008 03:23 PM

I'm from Melle (79).
Ah, le Poitou Charente... C'est pas mal, en fait.

Kina 05.16.2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain

I'd like to be transported to this place right now please

EMMAh 05.19.2008 12:52 PM

EMMAh 05.23.2008 10:22 PM

Cantankerous 05.23.2008 10:49 PM

jesus that last one's gorgeous

i didn't take any of these, i was just the one fucking around being silly and i put them together like this. see it's a story kind of.

EMMAh 05.23.2008 10:51 PM

Thanks!
I love your story haha :D

Cantankerous 05.23.2008 10:56 PM

i love that shirt
i stole it from my friend haha

EMMAh 05.23.2008 11:01 PM

Good steal :)