Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best new/most anticipated albums: 2017 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=114364)

Severian 02.01.2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
found it on Soulseek. :)

Fuck, that's still a thing?

The Soup Nazi 02.01.2017 03:06 PM

Triplicate — Bob Dylan (March 31)

The Soup Nazi 02.02.2017 05:59 PM

August By Cake — Guided By Voices (April 7). Robert Pollard's 100th album!

Severian 02.02.2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
August By Cake — Guided By Voices (April 7). Robert Pollard's 100th album!

:eek: I wonder what it will sound like!!!!!

;)

That's cool though. Can't imagine I'll feel moved to buy it, but that's a nifty milestone. Steve Malkmus recently congratulated Pollard on it, and I wondered briefly if all the shit Rob Pollard's talked about Pavement has just been part of his schpeal.

All of this stuff -- Pollard, Pavement, Pixies -- is so classic rocky at this point that it's kind of a trip for me.

Severian 02.02.2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

This is sort of exciting. I wouldn't mind hearing some new Dylan songs at some point though. Can't help but feel that he's resting on his laurels a bit of late, what with the $500 archival releases and cover albums.

_slavo_ 02.03.2017 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Fuck, that's still a thing?

oh, most definitely! it's alive and blooming. I usually search for new stuff there and when I like it, I then go ahead and purchase the thing. It's like demo-versions of PC game, y'know.

Bytor Peltor 02.03.2017 09:45 AM

This March, Don & Camille Dietrich release, Dietrich's on Pica Disk......it's a father and daughter saxaphone / cello collaboration.

Severian 02.03.2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
oh, most definitely! it's alive and blooming. I usually search for new stuff there and when I like it, I then go ahead and purchase the thing. It's like demo-versions of PC game, y'know.

Wait... back when I used it last (like... 10 years ago?) it was like Napster, I think. Just an outright file-sharing site. Is there something different about it now that makes it, like, not illegal to download music pre-release?

Up until about a year ago, I still engaged in torrenting and whatnot from time to time (like for the last Kanye album, which I desperately wanted to give someone money for, but nobody would let me). I didn't do it often, but for releases that were by my definition major, or that I just "couldn't live without" (didn't want to live without, and also wanted to have before anyone else) I'm afraid I did sneak a download from time to time. But I started getting letters from my internet provider, and link-hosting sites started to emphasize the severity of the punishments for being caught/charged. So I stopped completely.

But if Soulseek has adapted to the times to offer a legal alternative to leeching leaked pre-release albums, then I need to investigate. Please tell me about your experience there.

ETA: Also, I will Google it because I'm not completely helpless. ;)
But anything you'd care to share would be much appreciated.

h8kurdt 02.03.2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

This is sort of exciting. I wouldn't mind hearing some new Dylan songs at some point though. Can't help but feel that he's resting on his laurels a bit of late, what with the $500 archival releases and cover albums.

Can you blame him? He's 75, had a life that is pretty much unparalleled by anyone in the modern day, seen and done things most of us can only dream about. Give him a break. He's not gonna be releasing another Blonde on Blonde or anytime soon.

The Soup Nazi 02.03.2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Can you blame him? He's 75, had a life that is pretty much unparalleled by anyone in the modern day, seen and done things most of us can only dream about. Give him a break. He's not gonna be releasing another Blonde on Blonde or anytime soon.

To a degree, and this is an absolutely preliminar thought since Triplicate has just been announced, I think this triple record could be Dylan's way of accelerating the release of all the "great American songbook" covers he has done recently and deems worthy of being out, instead of keeping this "project" as one album per year — by the fifth one critics and part of his audience might go, "God, another one...". Not that he may give a flying fuck, come to think of it. Also, even though these are covers I don't think he's going through the motions, as plenty of them are real reinventions.

In any case, the guy certainly does have original material pent-up. When Tempest came out, according to Rolling freakin' Stone he described it:

Quote:

"[...] as a record where "anything goes and you just gotta believe it will make sense." But it isn't the record he set out to make. "I wanted to make something more religious," he says. "I just didn't have enough [religious songs]. Intentionally, specifically religious songs is what I wanted to do. That takes a lot more concentration to pull that off 10 times with the same thread — than it does with a record like I ended up with."

By "religious songs" I very much doubt he meant the Slow Train Coming/Saved/Shot Of Love type; I'm thinking serious carnage!

The Soup Nazi 02.03.2017 06:47 PM

Robyn Hitchcock — Robyn Hitchcock (April 21)

Severian 02.03.2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

NUH-UH!!!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
(He chortled in his joy)

Excellent news. :)

Kuhb 02.06.2017 06:10 PM

Craig Taborn "Daylight Ghosts" featuring Chris Speed and Dave King.

Pretty excited for this one, particularly to hear how Dave King works in this sort of setting. I love his work with The Bad Plus, but this sounds like it might be much more open.

https://youtu.be/lo-_IFPcH-A

bloodcrystallisetosand 02.07.2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Is there something different about it now that makes it, like, not illegal to download music pre-release?

Nope, still the same as it ever was - even the interface is the same, so old now that it's gone straight through out-of-date and now has a sort of nostalgic/retro charm. I don't use torrent, so no dime etc, soulseek still has more or less anything I want. As a general rule, I only download stuff that is out of print or boots or I have on vinyl and can't be arsed to rip rather than new/pre-releases. It's a gold mine for OOP stuff.

evollove 02.08.2017 06:35 AM

http://www.residents.com/historical/?page=ghostofhope

Following their long tradition of projects based on narrative themes, The Residents are pleased to announce the release of The Ghost of Hope, an historically accurate album based on train wrecks.

Blood_Promise 02.10.2017 06:03 AM

Kassel Jaeger and Jim O’Rourke:

https://soundcloud.com/editionsmego/...ions-mego-2014

selkcip 02.14.2017 02:59 PM

http://www.everycontactleavesatrace....clayton-mills/

"The starting point for The Process was a portable recorder full of fragments – personal recollections, works-in-process, songs, thoughts about life in general – that Tate, a word-shaper who crosses the freewheeling wordplay of The Last Poets with the gimlet-eyed shuffle of Tom Waits [beh], had been carrying about his person for several years. He handed it over to Mills, who arranged slivers of muted, evocative sound around Tate’s words, his syllables fading in and out of hearing, borne on warm currents of static, blank-eyed sine tones or ghostly echo. Other sounds – environmental recordings, keening bursts of clarinet and cello, an elementary school choir – bleed in and out"

- https://weneednoswords.wordpress.com...s-the-process/

greenlight 02.14.2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood_Promise

thx

Severian 02.14.2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood_Promise

Fuckin' right!

The Soup Nazi 02.16.2017 06:24 PM

From the archival department:

Purple Rain reissue (original album + two albums of unreleased stuff + two concert films) — Prince (June 9)

The Soup Nazi 02.16.2017 06:33 PM

No Plan EP — David Bowie (CD February 24 | 12" vinyl April 21 | "limited edition made-to-order numbered die-cut package with 12" white vinyl and an exclusive artwork lithograph" [yow!] May 26)

Already available as CD2 of Lazarus: Original Cast Recording and as "virtual" stuff.

Blood_Promise 02.17.2017 02:16 AM

So the Paisley Park vault looting has begun.

The Soup Nazi 02.17.2017 07:38 PM

Once more from the archival department (sorry ;)):

Either/Or: Expanded Edition — Elliott Smith (March 10)

Severian 02.19.2017 01:39 PM

Really can't wait for Spoon's Hot Thoughts. Sure to be a good solid rock record, and boy do we need one.

Genteel Death 02.19.2017 04:17 PM

The new FNU Ronnies, just out, is incredible and unlike anything else around.

selkcip 02.20.2017 07:13 PM

the recent Michael Pisaro CD on Potlatch is short and sweet.. "Resting in a Fold of the Fog" - it's along the same lines as his previous Gravity Wave albums, but more concise, with bright and sustained sine tones (matched with bowed (?) glockenspiel), guitar, and percussion.

Severian 02.20.2017 09:52 PM

The Octopus Project - Memory Mirror is due out April 8.

Not one of my favorites by any means, but still pretty fun. Worth mentioning at least.

Also...

Xiu Xiu - Forget is due out Feb. 24 (this Friday)

The Soup Nazi 02.22.2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Under The Radar 2016 Artist Survey: Robyn Hitchcock
Hitchcock on Trump, Artificial Intelligence, Scary Movies, Brexit, and Stranger Things

Quote:

UTR: Would you survive a zombie apocalypse? Explain.

RH: Anyone who can survive Trump will survive the zombies.

The Soup Nazi 02.22.2017 05:02 PM

Live For Burberry EP — Anna Calvi (only streaming bullcrap and iTunes, at least for now).

Severian 02.22.2017 06:35 PM

Arca - Arca, coming in April

The Soup Nazi 02.23.2017 07:59 PM

Sorry (not really :D) to go back to the archives department, but Housewives' debut EP is being reissued and if you want it (and why wouldn't you — are you some kind of degenerate?) you better hurry the fuck up because it's an edish of 70.

https://housewivesband.bandcamp.com/...w-york-reissue

Severian 02.28.2017 11:25 AM

^^
This is out now, by the by. Anyone heard it? Thoughts?

Severian 03.03.2017 11:45 AM

Blanck Mass - World Eater

Best new, formerly most anticipated. This album is fucking ferocious and beautiful.

Fuck Buttons are hitting the studio too. Not sure if a 2017 album is in the works, but it certainly seems possible.

noisereductions 03.04.2017 03:09 PM

So it's only March now and already three-fourths of the Young Jazz Giants have released new solo albums. These two follow Thundercat's Drunk from February. Ronald Bruner Jr.'s Triumph is a pretty great soulful collection of upbeat jazz and R&B by the drummer and featuring his brothers (Thundercat and a dude you might know from The Internet). Planetary Prince is the solo debut by pianist Cameron Graves which I haven't heard yet but am very excited about. Pitchfork gave it a very glowing review. I wonder if this crop of records points to a follow up to Kamasi Washington's The Epic​?

h8kurdt 03.05.2017 07:02 AM

Quote:

Blanck Mass - World Eater

Best new, formerly most anticipated. This album is fucking ferocious and beautiful.

Fuck Buttons are hitting the studio too. Not sure if a 2017 album is in the works, but it certainly seems possible.

Gave this a listem yesterday. I decided about 20 minutes in that it's not the right album to listen to whilst wandering around town on a sunny morning. I'll give it another whirl when the mood is right.

Severian 03.05.2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Gave this a listem yesterday. I decided about 20 minutes in that it's not the right album to listen to whilst wandering around town on a sunny morning. I'll give it another whirl when the mood is right.

Agreed there. It's starts out with some nice beauty, relative airiness, but then it gets ... eh, let's say a bit rougher? I like it a LOT, but it's a bit intense for sunshine music. I flipped it off too. Was driving, sun was shining, and after a few tracks I wanted to hear something "nice."

Severian 03.05.2017 07:40 PM

Ok, so I know this falls under the category of *"Pitchfork shit," but this Vagabon chick is pretty impressive for someone so young. She clearly digs PJ, Nirvana, Breeders, Cat Power, etc., and she's working with a nice voice and some solid chops.
It's been a while since populist indie rock had a good year. Deerhunter seems to have lost their bite. Deerhoof and Blonde Redhrad seem to be almost as institutional as any toeing classic rock band, happy to rest on laurels at least for the moment. I'm ready for some new blood.
This album has some really good moments and some pretty familiar ones. All told though, it's worth a listen as much as I hate to add to validate Pitchfork.

Vagabon - Infinite Worlds ... check it out.

Listen to "Minneapolis" and think about Pavement and shit.

noisereductions 03.05.2017 11:23 PM

I get the feeling my love of Ryan Adams falls on deaf ears around here. But seriously, Prisoner is top tier RA for me. This one feel comfortable among my favorites... Heartbreaker, Gold, Easy Tiger, 1989...

Severian 03.06.2017 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I get the feeling my love of Ryan Adams falls on deaf ears around here. But seriously, Prisoner is top tier RA for me. This one feel comfortable among my favorites... Heartbreaker, Gold, Easy Tiger, 1989...

I'm glad you love it and that it makes you happy, but yeah... not my thing. Although I once had a Whiskeytown album.

Kuhb 03.06.2017 02:34 AM

I know it's last year, but Margaret Glaspy's "Emotions and Math" was pretty great popular indie music. https://youtu.be/WzqWJ0FeJnQ

And there's a new Land of Talk coming out soon, very excited about that one. She's such a great songwriter