Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   the other news (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=118544)

!@#$%! 02.20.2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
It wasn't so much the words as whether certain ones rhymed with other ones or not.

ah!

WHICH ONES? you remember?

been watching british bakeoff and some lady from liverpool im like "what did she say?"

sounds almost irish but not

lingusitics is some cool shit. dont know why i like it.

demonrail666 02.20.2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

been watching british bakeoff and some lady from liverpool im like "what did she say?"

If she was from Liverpool she was probably trying to flog the presenter a knock off plasma screen.

!@#$%! 02.20.2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

If she was from Liverpool she was probably trying to flog the presenter a knock off plasma screen.

lmao

shes an amateur blacksmith

i forget what her job is

i think she wants a husband?

https://www.instagram.com/misskatielyon/?hl=en

demonrail666 02.20.2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

ah!

WHICH ONES? you remember?

sounds almost irish but not

lingusitics is some cool shit. dont know why i like it.

All you need to know. ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbUSLOWbK4A

demonrail666 02.20.2019 05:15 PM

In all seriousness, and I'm not just saying this incase H8kurdt sees it, but I actually think the Liverpudlian accent might be my favourite of all English regional accents. Especially on women. I work alongside a woman from Liverpool and I love listening to her. If she'd only stop stealing my pens whenever my back's turned.

!@#$%! 02.20.2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

aaaaa haaa haaaaa

sounds a bit like a poor man’s michael caine but not quite. caine has the same... tone but does not finish his words. right? more or less?

demonrail666 02.20.2019 06:01 PM

Yeah, but not a 'poor man's michael caine. Michael caine has a (very old fashioned) cockney/London accent and the essex accent is basically a (more modern) cockney accent trying to sound posh but failing miserably.

!@#$%! 02.20.2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Yeah, but not a 'poor man's michael caine. Michael caine has a (very old fashioned) cockney/London accent and the essex accent is basically a (more modern) cockney accent trying to sound posh but failing miserably.

oh i meant as a youtuber he’s a poor mans michael caine haaa haaahaaa

i meant he sounds like him but not as great. did not mean poverty in a literal way. i meant... the quality of the voice/speech

i knew caine was a cockney and how he got his start actually—some director liked his accent. was it for zulu? i cant remember

“trying to sound posh” hahaha

ive heard that on tv. it’s very annoying. i can’t put my finger on who but i will. i don’t mean TOWIE characters.. someone more famous...

demonrail666 02.20.2019 06:29 PM

You won't hear many Essex accents outside episodes of Towie. Although any interview with Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan given in the 80s (before he went a bit transatlantic) is 100% essex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPTO-kHm4B0

Basically cockney in a job interview situation.

!@#$%! 02.20.2019 08:34 PM

hahahahahaaaa

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9DhuRzTy9Ms

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.22.2019 11:19 AM

Estonians rescue wild wolf from ice thinking it was a dog

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47330924

Quote:

Kind-hearted Estonian workers rushed to rescue a dog in distress from a freezing river on Wednesday - unaware of the fact they were actually about to bundle a wild wolf into their car.

The men were working on the Sindi dam on the Parnu river when they spotted the animal trapped in the icy water.

After clearing a path through the ice, they took the frozen canine to a clinic for medical care.

Only then was it revealed they had been carrying a wolf.

The Estonian Union for the Protection of Animals (EUPA) said the wolf had low blood pressure when it arrived at the veterinarian's office, which may have explained its docile nature after the men carried it to their car to warm it up.

Speaking to the Estonian newspaper Postimees, one of the men, Rando Kartsepp, said: "We had to carry him over the slope. He weighed a fair bit."

"He was calm, slept on my legs. When I wanted to stretch them, he raised his head for a moment," he added.

Veterinarians had some suspicions over the large dog's true nature, but it was a local hunter, familiar with the region's wolves, who finally confirmed it for what it was: a young male wolf, about a year old.

EVOLghost 02.22.2019 01:17 PM

Damn. That pretty aweomse

!@#$%! 02.26.2019 06:36 AM

wow lol

i like wolves a lot

nice news

!@#$%! 02.26.2019 06:37 AM

so what do you guys think of 2nd brexit referendum? possible?

and will you stay this time and dodge a bullet?

!@#$%! 02.26.2019 07:32 AM

https://youtu.be/h6XbLf5wyoM

demonrail666 02.26.2019 12:28 PM

I voted Leave and would do so if there was a 2nd refurendum.

!@#$%! 02.26.2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

I voted Leave and would do so if there was a 2nd refurendum.

heard after posting this that a recent survey of some 90k people showed similar results as previously, and brexit would win again. you answer here confirms this (although it’s not a significant sample size, but still, the 90k people are...)

i’ve come to think differently about this whole business lately... and reviewing my position as we speak

so, curious to learn what kind of deal you’d support and what you think are the upsides

this is not a trap/trick question, so i’ll offer my own vision— yes the european market is a kind of free trade but it’s within a heavily regulated frameork. e.g. “all phone connectors must fall within x specifications”. this might be “good for the environment” but prevents innovation.

in my perhaps idealistic view, england would have a better economic shot if it opened up trade BEYOND europe, and had free trade agreements with everyone, or as many nations as possible. in that way you’d have deeper global integration that europe herself.

on the other hand, retrenching behind the cliffs of dover would bring about economic stagnation.

ireland might be a tough spot but i dont think it’s unsolvable, especially with a more liberalized framework.

yes? no? thoughts? your take?

h8kurdt 02.26.2019 01:52 PM

[quote=!@#$%!]

Quote:

yes the european market is a kind of free trade but it’s within a heavily regulated frameork. e.g. “all phone connectors must fall within x specifications”. this might be “good for the environment” but prevents innovation.

How?

Quote:

in my perhaps idealistic view, england would have a better economic shot if it opened up trade BEYOND europe, and had free trade agreements with everyone, or as many nations as possible. in that way you’d have deeper global integration that europe herself.

One of the biggest (amongst many) cons given by leavers was that Britain would have countries running over each other to give trade deals with us. Instead it's been an absolute mess where even Japan don't want to deal with us.

Given how much of a mess the negotiations have been it baffles me how people can think we're better off out. I actually can't think of one positive to come out of all this.

h8kurdt 02.26.2019 02:07 PM

Whilst it won't happen (hopefully not anyway) the idea of a no deal happening is just...urgh.

My problem with the negotiations with EU is that there won't be anything in it that will be better than what we have already.

!@#$%! 02.26.2019 02:14 PM

[quote=h8kurdt]
Quote:

How?

One of the biggest (amongst many) cons given by leavers was that Britain would have countries running over each other to give trade deals with us. Instead it's been an absolute mess where even Japan don't want to deal with us.

Given how much of a mess the negotiations have been it baffles me how people can think we're better off out. I actually can't think of one positive to come out of all this.

how usb-fixing prevents innovation?

by slowing down the introduction of more advanced connector types?

im old enough to remember serial and parallel ports, sata, esata, usb of course, firewire, lightning, thunderbolt?? dvi mini display hdmi usb-c now.... not all ports same fucntion but ports be changing constantly in search of faster/cheaper/better

i dont know why the new apple usbc charger is different at the base hahaha. narrow. does not fit a usb-a/b charger. maybe on purpose to block?

had to buy an anker adapter to hook up to the old macpro wide usb to usbc

anyway, yes i get that it makes trash.... BUT...

maybe trash collection could be innovated instead? you gonna end up with a bunch of dead wires regardless, might as well incentivize recycling/recyclability instead of fixing a protocol? think of the children! (lol no, think of future miniatures, eg., watches)

as for the other, seems to me the eu is free within its borders and mildly protectionistic without. i am no expert. but if there are all these “rules” to comply with... could you just trade without them?

also no independent trade deal can happen till you leave the eu. right? i was just trying to find out but see no clear answer.

anyway i see singapore and the eu have a free trade treaty.. just some rules look like (ofc itks a fucking poster, gonna simplify)

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in-...ore-agreement/

cound england have its own eu treaty post brexit? i mean even after hard brexit. just a trade deal.

h8kurdt 02.26.2019 02:26 PM

Well considering we have USB-c chargers that argument doesn't hold.

The UK is able to do trade deals with other countries but they won't kick in til 2021 I think it is. We had/have free trade deals with God knows how many countries already due to being in the EU. Not sure what better deals we can get out of it.

!@#$%! 02.26.2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Well considering we have USB-c chargers that argument doesn't hold.

my ipad pro cant use other ipad chargers. it’s a special charger with its own weird hole. even current ipads use lightning but the pro has a “special holel haha. do i need to now throw out the chargers with “the wrong hole”?

also the lighting connectors must go, lol.

is usb-c “the final port”?

gotta see possibilities beyond the existing a little bit. that’s.... what innovation does. how do you allow for it? (skip the bullshit with wireless charging lol)

but anyway...

Quote:

The UK is able to do trade deals with other countries but they won't kick in til 2021 I think it is. We had/have free trade deals with God knows how many countries already due to being in the EU. Not sure what better deals we can get out of it.

ah i didnt know this...

thanks! will look for more

demonrail666 02.26.2019 02:38 PM

The free trade argument is for me the weakest in terms of justifying a leave vote. In terms of trade it would certainly be safer to remain as going it alone would obviously represent a massive leap into the unknown. Better the devil you know, and all that. For me it's really about the EU's increasing hostility to democracy.

But this is such a toxic issue in the UK now that I'd rather just agree to disagree with those who see things differently. It fundamentally divides Britain -as we're now seeing from the way it's essentially tearing both major political parties apart (don't believe that the split in Labour is a consequence of the anti-semitism row; it's Brexit) and the same thing is gonna happen to the Conservatives.

Genteel Death 02.26.2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

the idea of a no deal happening is just...urgh.

One thing a no deal scenario would surely achieve is that the leave voters would finally stare in the face of the mess they got this country in and its consequences. Some days I support this scenario because I'm not keen on Britain, particularly Wales and England, getting a comfortable outcome out of all this. After all, that would be like breaking up with a bf/gf but wanting to be friends with benefits after. If Theresa May's government really had any integrity Brexit would really mean Brexit, and not all these political games the Tories are playing in order to save face. You voted leave (not you h8kurdt), then leave. See how it feels and the rest will be history.

h8kurdt 02.26.2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

The free trade argument is for me the weakest in terms of justifying a leave vote. In terms of trade it would certainly be safer to remain as going it alone would obviously represent a massive leap into the unknown. Better the devil you know, and all that. For me it's really about the EU's increasing hostility to democracy.

But this is such a toxic issue in the UK now that I'd rather just agree to disagree with those who see things differently. It fundamentally divides Britain -as we're now seeing from the way it's essentially tearing both major political parties apart (don't believe that the split in Labour is a consequence of the anti-semitism row; it's Brexit) and the same thing is gonna happen to the Conservatives.

Nah, I get what you mean. Makes me laugh when people say that if we have another referendum it'll divide people more. How it can be more divided I've not a clue.

Was funny how the news were saying member of Labour were strongly against what Corbyn said about maybe having a 2nd vote. If he'd said no to the idea you can guarantee the news would be saying that certain members of the party are angry and want a 2nd vote. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

h8kurdt 02.26.2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
One thing a no deal scenario would surely achieve is that the leave voters would finally stare in the face of the mess they got this country in and its consequences. Some days I support this scenario because I'm not keen on Britain, particularly Wales and England, getting a comfortable outcome out of all this. After all, that would be like breaking up with a bf/gf but wanting to be friends with benefits after. If Theresa May's government really had any integrity Brexit would really mean Brexit, and not all these political games the Tories are playing in order to save face. You voted leave (not you h8kurdt), then leave. See how it feels and the rest will be history.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I feel like it sometimes. Problem is that the rest of population have to deal with the fallout of it too.

demonrail666 02.26.2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Nah, I get what you mean. Makes me laugh when people say that if we have another referendum it'll divide people more. How it can be more divided I've not a clue.

Was funny how the news were saying member of Labour were strongly against what Corbyn said about maybe having a 2nd vote. If he'd said no to the idea you can guarantee the news would be saying that certain members of the party are angry and want a 2nd vote. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Everyone knew Europe would eventually destroy the Tories but the Labour thing was (for me anyway) less obvious. The problem is, while a vast majority of Labour MPs are Remainers, most of its constituencies voted to Leave.

!@#$%! 02.26.2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

can you please explain? i mean “the eu’s increasing hostility to democracy” part

e.g., catalonian self-determination? or something in england?

Quote:

well parties always reshuffle and it’s not the end of history. where are the whigs?

definitely from what im reading (the economist is more & more my trusty steed) the split is happening and brexit is the real divide in british politics these days.

thing is the politicians like farage (whom i didnt know, i was in another planet) are presented as charlatans who were just riling up the populace with fictions.

i’m more interested in the why serious grownups would want to leave. which is why i keep interrogating you guys haaa haaa haaaa.

!@#$%! 02.26.2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

is the irish border all there is to it though?

Genteel Death 02.26.2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

like farage.

I wouldn't call Nigel Farage a politician as such. He's an agitator at best. We have our very own version of douchebags like that in Italy right now in our own government with Di Maio and Salvini. Two people who know that pointing their finger at specific targets, be they immigrants, the EU, or anything from outer space, will get them the attention they feel will advance their perceived charisma in the popularity polls. Italy, as you may have previously read, is in recession once more and has the weakest union activity we've seen in decades. I do think the tide will change because eventually all this stuff will need to end because of actual problems that have been avoided one way or another for a long time. And I think, in a way, delivering the no deal, hostile environment Brexit Theresa May really wants could be beneficial for this country because then you have nothing else to blame but your own policies. Nevermind the silly trade deals with Commonwealth countries. The irony is that I feel if the same referendum happened in Italy right now most Italians would vote to leave too. That's how fucked things are at the moment.

!@#$%! 02.26.2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't call Nigel Farage a politician as such. He's an agitator at best. We have our very own version of douchebags like that in Italy right now in our own government with Di Maio and Salvini. Two people who know that pointing their finger at specific targets, be they immigrants, the EU, or anything from outer space, will get them the attention they feel will advance their perceived charisma in the popularity polls. Italy, as you may have previously read, is in recession once more and has the weakest union activity we've seen in decades. I do think the tide will change because eventually all this stuff will need to end because of actual problems that have been avoided one way or another for a long time. And I think, in a way, delivering the no deal, hostile environment Brexit Theresa May really wants could be beneficial for this country because then you have nothing else to blame but your own policies. Nevermind the silly trade deals with Commonwealth countries. The irony is that I feel if the same referendum happened in Italy right now most Italians would vote to leave too. That's how fucked things are at the moment.

yeah ive been reading about salvini’s inflammatory squabbles with france, and his impending citizen salary of... 765 or 780 euros or something? maybe it works maybe he’s just buying votes.

in the case of italy seems to me he’d leave so he can manipulate the currency and provide a temporary illusion of prosperity. but the citizen’s income (i forget if this is the right name) would accomplish much the same. maybe.

i don’t know why italy’s economy is in perpetual stagnation though, it has lagged behind the neighbors since i have memory. youth unemployment now is insane.

the thing is if italy crashes the whole eu could maybe fail. no? bigger than greece, ireland, portugal...

Genteel Death 02.26.2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

is the irish border all there is to it though?

I think it depends on which Irish person you ask to. I had an Irish friend round for dinner last week who was very adamant the Brexit vote should be dealt with in a harsh, punitive way for Britain. But I'm sure Irish people have differing opinions on that. The Irish backstop issue is only one of the many issues, as far as I'm concerned.

demonrail666 02.26.2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

i’m more interested in the why serious grownups would want to leave.

I'm unarguably grown-up, at least from a biological perspective, but I suppose the serious bit is for others to decide.

Either way, I won't deny that a lot of Leave voters were motivated by simple xenophobia, but others were against the free movement of people and its perceived impact on wages, especially in the unskilled jobs market. Others were against what they saw as the impact of certain regulations dictated by Brussels on small businesses. Others saw it as the right for Britain to create and implement its own laws. Others wanted to revive trade options with the commonwealth and other parts of the world.

For me it was mainly the fact that its inner circle appear to exist outside of any genuine election-process involving the people of Europe (and consequently not really accountable to them). Also the way that it uses austerity to exert control over its member states (most obviously in the case of Greece). Plus they keep fucking around with the shape of bananas.

Genteel Death 02.26.2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

I'm unarguably grown-up, at least from a biological perspective, but I suppose the serious bit is for others to decide.

Either way, I won't deny that a lot of Leave voters were motivated by simple xenophobia, but others were against the free movement of people and its perceived impact on wages, especially in the unskilled jobs market. Others were against what they saw as the impact of certain regulations dictated by Brussels on small businesses. Others saw it as the right for Britain to create and implement its own laws. Others wanted to revive trade options with the commonwealth and other parts of the world.

For me it was mainly the fact that its inner circle appear to exist outside of any genuine election-process involving the people of Europe (and consequently not really accountable to them). Also the way that it uses austerity to exert control over its member states (most obviously in the case of Greece). Plus they keep fucking around with the shape of bananas.

Aren't you some Irish-Egyptian born in England? Not even pure. lol

Genteel Death 02.26.2019 05:22 PM

Kidding, of course. x

demonrail666 02.26.2019 05:38 PM

Spot-On. I can cook cabbage a million ways, I'm brilliant at backgammon and I never tip.

Genteel Death 02.26.2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Spot-On. I can cook cabbage a million ways, I'm brilliant at backgammon and I never tip.

Are you part of any union?

demonrail666 02.26.2019 05:52 PM

Unison. Why?

!@#$%! 02.26.2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

yyyeah i begin to see

seems to me the eu was above all a peace project. enough with the wars. which sure a lofty goal—essential, even.

however, turning nation states into eventual members of a confederacy can’t be easy... here we have 50 states now but took a civil war and some massive brutality and the war still continues between north and south. kinda like in scotland...

now the common maket is “free” for members but not that free really as a market. meaning, i realize now—you can freely trade with each other but at bottom there”s a lot of central planning and regulation. like the usb cable—or bananas?

i have no doubt that these people have good intentions, but good intentions often have unintended consequences.

sssssso... i can see a country with a more market oriented tradition like england getting fed up in part with the central planning.

which to me was maybe the wrong play—the right play would have been to exert influence to liberalize the whole market. and thus you’d get whichever banana was the best offer on that day, and new connectors, and less bureaucracy and more innovations. maybe.

but itks hard to move a 20 or 21 nation bloc so i can see why it could get sisiphean (how do you spell that).

the austerity business was brutal. and i think prolonged the problems?

latin america was often like that in the grip of the imf. the foreign debts were orders of magnitude bigger than the economy itself.

some like argentina declared their independence, refused to pay, and ended in the shit.

others renegotiated, opened up their markets, freed up productivity, and are doing great, the debt is there but no longer a problem.

seems to me the eu did not give greece and lot of options yeah...

SO, since you mention the commonwealth, independent trade deals were not allowed, then?

i can see how it began to chafe...

Quote:

Aren't you some Irish-Egyptian born in England? Not even pure. lol

lmfao

demonrail666 02.26.2019 06:24 PM

The one thing I do have trouble with as a Leave voter who sees my opposition to the EU in 'Leftist' terms is that my vote has undoubtedly benefitted the Right more than it has the Left, although I think this is largely down to prominent Euro-sceptic figures on the Left (like Corbyn) shying away from the debate in the build-up to the referendum, essentially handing the Brexit campaign to figures like Farage and Boris Johnson.

But I still stand by my decision and only wish arguments like the one made below had been more widely published

https://www.spiked-online.com/2018/1...a-real-brexit/