Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   super crazy dope nostalgic nu-metal thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40026)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.06.2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Both me and atsonicpark were there for it. Granted, I was a lot younger than both of you but I listened to a lot of that stuff! And what about the bands Adam named, "Deadlights, Kittie, Static-X, Amen, etc."? How are they not nu-metal?

who said they weren't? They all have hip hop drumwork, though Kittie a bit less obviously. I am not arguing against other nu-metal bands, I am simply stating that you guys are expanding the genre too far, RATM/deftones/koRn are rap rock, SOAD is hardcore/metal, and the rest are cool, as long as you remember that nu-metal is the afterbirth of rap-rock, just like no-wave came out of gutter punk, and metal came out of heavy blues.

Derek 06.06.2010 04:50 PM

RATM of course aren't nu-metal and deftones definitely expanded beyond it but... KoRn?? Are they not the complete originators of the nu-metal sound? Plus, there isn't even any rapping in KoRn besides a few songs.

GeneticKiss 06.06.2010 05:14 PM

Nu metal is used by the music press to describe any heavy band that broke between 1995 and 2001. Keep in mind that in those days, the metal=hair band stigma hadn't quite lifted.

If someone had told me ten years ago people would be discussing nu metal in an intelligent manner, I would've thought they were an idiot.

Just so long as no one talks about the genius of Flaw, then we're good.

atsonicpark 06.06.2010 05:45 PM

All I know is, wikipedia lists SOAD as a nu metal band. And wikipedia is never wrong!

:)

dionysusundone 06.06.2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
SOAD is hardcore/metal.... just like no-wave came out of gutter punk

wait what

atsonicpark 06.06.2010 07:16 PM

Wake Up! Grab A Brush And Put A Little Makeup! Why'd You Put The Keys Upon The Table! Here We Go Create Another Fable! You Wanted To!

the ikara cult 06.07.2010 05:01 PM

"Nostalgic numetal" = me feeling well old.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.09.2010 09:47 AM

What about HIM? I don't think that they really count as nu-metal (especially since some are being so stern with the definition, but this seems like the best place to mention a band like this.

Greatest Love Songs vol. 666, and Razorblade Romance are brilliant - especially the former. This, like Lady Gaga, is one of the few musical acts that I used to loathe, and eventually ended up becoming infatuated with.

If Ville Valo wasn't such eye candy, more guys would probably respect this band more.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.09.2010 10:04 AM

I wanna talk about HIM, dammit!!!

Derek 06.09.2010 10:05 AM

Nah fanbase aside, I always found them really boring and dare I say it, whiny. Nothing really interesting with them besides their whole "image".

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.09.2010 10:09 AM

Listen to Greatest Love Songs vol. 666. It's beautiful. This is coming from someone who could give a fuck less about anyone in the band, or what they look like.

chicka 06.09.2010 10:18 AM

you young folks amaze me with all this definitions of music types, and chords that define a genre and just your overall music knowledge back in my day it was either good or bad that it. We didn't worry about what types of gear the bands were using to define their sound. My hats off to you. I suppose the fact that many of you are also musicians may have something to do with it.

Also what's behind all the negativity hurled at RATM? There was a point in my life where Fridays didn't start until I put RATM in the deck...

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.09.2010 10:25 AM

^ That's about as complex as it gets for me too.

Hey Derek, I didn't know that we lived in the same city!

Glice 06.09.2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicka
you young folks amaze me with all this definitions of music types, and chords that define a genre and just your overall music knowledge back in my day it was either good or bad that it. We didn't worry about what types of gear the bands were using to define their sound. My hats off to you. I suppose the fact that many of you are also musicians may have something to do with it.

When was your day? Sometime in 1320? People have always done this with genres. Musicians, largely. Horrible class of people, but it's what they do.

Derek 06.09.2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Hey Derek, I didn't know that we lived in the same city!

That's news to me!

Oh and RATM are horrible. I can't stand that band.

atsonicpark 06.09.2010 11:13 AM

RATM have a few good riffs and a few good guitar sounds. That's it.

Derek 06.09.2010 11:19 AM

Along the way they forgot to write a song when cramming in as much stupid guitar sounds as possible.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.09.2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
. Musicians, largely. Horrible class of people, but it's what they do.

yes, yes we are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
RATM have a few good riffs and a few good guitar sounds. That's it.

no, they have a lot of good riffs, bad ass bass lines, in your face drum work, and potent lyrical force. unfortunately what they lack is credibility and integrity.

atsonicpark 06.09.2010 02:01 PM

A lot? I dunno. I mean, it's like saying a punk band to uses nothing but power chords has a ton of good riffs. I mean, yeah, there's literally infinite numbers of combinations to those riffs, but they all start to sound the same. Same with RATM's one finger drop-d chug chug CHUG CHUG riffing. It.. all.. just.. sounds.. the same. He breaks up the monotony with a bunch of weird little sounds that usually don't work at all, sometimes are bizarrely interesting, but usually just make me go, "Man, didn't Sonic Youth (and a thousand other weird guitar bands) do something like that on one of their first albums, but they actually had a good song behind it, TOO?"

I agree they have no integrity. Sellout shitheads, really. Major label idiots.

RAGE INSIDE THE MANSION should be their name.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.09.2010 02:23 PM

Marilyn Mansion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R682M3ZEyk