Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your Parent's music taste (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3746)

drrrtyboots 07.06.2006 12:40 PM

My dad likes mostly classic rock stuff and gets way too excited when he watches that documentry that followed janis joplin jimi hendrix the stones and all these other bands on a train through canada.

My mom has a sort of similar music taste, but is more into what makes her happy? So i make her listen to yo la tengo and my mbv and she's even been known to listen to some sonic youth from time to time. But whenever panty lies comes on when WM is in, she tosses the cd and probably listens to the bob dylan victorias secret promo cd in the car.

Grete 07.06.2006 02:41 PM

my mom loves queen , rem and patti smith, lou reed, and pink floyd % sonic youth!!!

but...

my dad loves only classical music.........................................

Savage Clone 07.06.2006 02:46 PM

Mom likes Leon Redbone.
Dad likes acoustic guitar guys like Leo Kottke and Andreas Martin.
When I was growing up, they were both into the Moody Blues, Electric Prunes, Nilsson, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Joplin, etc.

My dad used to look a lot like Shawn Phillips back then. My mom was a big fan of his too, come to think of it.

krastian 07.06.2006 03:03 PM

Niiiice. The Electric Prunes.....I found one their 45's in a huhe stack my mom had of my aunts (my mom wouldn't listen to this) and would always play it when I was a kid. I think it was for Get Me to the World On Time and it had some song on it that said "Higher! Higher Higher!" or something....I used to think they were saying "Fire! Fire! Fire!" Either way it ruled.

Savage Clone 07.06.2006 03:09 PM

That would be "Get Me To The World On Time."
Great tune.
I love that band. The Swedish Radio sessions from 1968 are incredible!

I have some great video of them doing that song on the old Smothers Brothers show.

krastian 07.06.2006 03:43 PM

Ok, so it was that song.....I couldn't really remember.

CHOUT 07.07.2006 12:54 AM

My mom's favorite band is Deicide.
My dad's favorite band is Petra.

gmku 07.07.2006 09:04 AM

I like Sonic Youth, Fugazi, My Bloody Valentine, and a bunch of other 80s and 90s "alternative" stuff, plus some recent noise/underground stuff--and all other things post 1977 that know how to rock.

My son and daughter like the Beatles, Dylan, Led Zep, and other "classic rock."

What's wrong with this picture?

Savage Clone 07.07.2006 09:12 AM

Blame what the Baby Boomers did to radio.

_slavo_ 07.07.2006 10:01 AM

My dad loves old jazz in the likes of Chris Barber, Charles Mingus and Dizzie Gillespie

I like my dad

Rob Instigator 07.07.2006 10:16 AM

gmku

that's funny! That seems to be the way these things go!

against_the_grain 07.07.2006 10:37 AM

My parents came of age in the 40s....and their music was the Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman type of swing and ballroom dancing stuff. They also like the Hawaiian music of the 50s and 60s...Mitch Miller sing along, Pat Boone crooning schlock....and some of my pop/rock of the 60s. The mellower stuff....but they couldn't stand my acidy rock....The Electric Prunes are a good one my parents hated !!!! I grabbed onto all things psychedelic at an early age....and then the brain damage ensued.....

My parents did like 'goddamn the pusherman' though.....I guess it was the sentiments toward the lyrics.

Savage Clone 07.07.2006 10:40 AM

Hawaiian music is awesome.
I have a lot of Hawaiian 78s; it was extremely popular in the early part of the 20th century.

Pat Boone though...yikes.

against_the_grain 07.07.2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Hawaiian music is awesome.
I have a lot of Hawaiian 78s; it was extremely popular in the early part of the 20th century.

Pat Boone though...yikes.

I like old Hawaii tunes too...and some of the slack-key kine bud music. Pat Boone.....yea...my parents were hip....hahahahaaaaa...

gmku 07.07.2006 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
gmku

that's funny! That seems to be the way these things go!

I was playing Washing Machine for my 18-yr-old son the other day. He said he sorta liked it but he thought it got too noisy and loud. "I don't think you have to make music loud for it to be good," he said. "It should be about the songs."

I couldn't say anything.

Sigh...

LittlePuppetBoy 07.07.2006 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku

My son and daughter like the Beatles, Dylan, Led Zep, and other "classic rock."

What's wrong with this picture?

my brother is exactly like that. It's what the media is telling them and what they think is "cool"

schizophrenicroom 07.07.2006 01:20 PM

mom:
various bits of sonic youth (100% and candle, mostly.)
led zeppelin
the doors
crooked rain, crooked rain
belly
the beatles
bits of the smashing pumpkins
lame top 40 crap

she pretends to/tries to be into stuff like the flaming lips and be your own pet because i am. i love my mom. she legitimately likes "pepper" by the butthole surfers, though.

dad:
big country
van halen
mostly '80s hair metal
led zeppelin

PAULYBEE2656 07.07.2006 05:05 PM

OK neil diamond..... which isnt too bad when you consider........
bad country and western
irish country and western which is absolute woeful tripe
cliff richard

but dad does like leadbelly

nomadicfollower 07.07.2006 05:07 PM

My mom likes country and christain rock. To of the worst genres music has ever shit out. But I put up with it.

Style 07.07.2006 05:27 PM

My mom likes neil diamond, classical music, elton john, and whatever else they play on easy listening stations.

My dad likes electronica. Crystal Method, The Prodigy, etc.