Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Beyonce without Auto-Tune (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30500)

floatingslowly 04.23.2009 06:33 PM

my point is, a random search of the internet could produce 1,000's of homely people, singing. law of averages even states that some will sing very well.

despite that, a HUGE deal was made out of it on the news here (and in UK as well, I assume) about how damned inspirational it is that someone that really isn't all that pretty can sing.

it was made out to be the most special thing since jesus wept (until the next day, when everyone had second thoughts and decided that some 12 y/o was better).

I don't discount that she can "really" sing, but what exactly about that performance so singularly special?

I find it hard to believe that the entire incident wasn't just a schtick to garner interest in the show.

I'm hoping yr the one with the answers.

Savage Clone 04.23.2009 06:38 PM

It's not the homely-to-talent ratio. For god's sake, we all know less than attractive people can sing sometimes. In the 70s it was practically a requirement that you be hideously ugly to be a successful rock band.

It's the eyebrow thing. People with big eyebrows are usually only good at casting spells, and all you need for that in the vocal sense is the ability to do some low-level chanting.

Don't you know anything?

floatingslowly 04.23.2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Don't you know anything?

when it comes to humans, I'm still learning.

it's just that in a conversation of what's "real or not" in music, her performance strikes me as being very "unreal".

disclaimer for humans #1: unreal is good. I prefer it. I just don't like when it's held up to be otherwise.
disclaimer for humans #2: I'm not even really talking about porky saying it's "real", I mean the mega-hype surrounding her.
disclaimer for humans #3: see above disclaimers.

sarramkrop 04.23.2009 06:56 PM

Yeah, please let's forget about that woman. It was just some random example that was there because it was big news over here, somehow, and geneeraly the English shout it out loud when one of their own has done something 'right' (wait till you get T&B or Glice 's scorn about me posting this).

Anyway, it just seems ridiculous that someone would make it a big deal to find out a pop star is not up to scratch with their singing, considering that Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo or Kim Gordon aren't good singers either. That's all.

floatingslowly 04.23.2009 07:02 PM

^^^ right, I'm totally with you. this lady just baffles me.

next question: what about performers who strap iPods to their guitars?

a) to be expected.
b) rage.
c) waffle back and forth between.

I want to click "a" but I keep hitting "c" instead.

sarramkrop 04.23.2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
^^^ right, I'm totally with you. this lady just baffles me.

next question: what about performers who strap iPods to their guitars?

a) to be expected.
b) rage.
c) waffle back and forth between.

I want to click "a" but I keep hitting "c" instead.

For as long as you make sure that you do it 'well', I suppose it's alright. It does sound like a SHIT, TASTELESS idea, though.

the ikara cult 04.23.2009 07:23 PM

Anyone who gives a stuff about a thing like this needs to fish their cumstained teddy bear out of the skip, look it firmly in the eye and say "YOU DONT CONTROL ME ANYMORE"

Kloriel 04.23.2009 07:31 PM

allocates accumulated forest points into low level chanting

demonrail666 04.23.2009 08:29 PM

I'd be quicker to jump to the defence of Beyonce if she herself wasn't so keen to play the 'authenticity' card. Pop stars should be judged as pop stars, but when a pop star tries to elevate themselves as being somehow 'better' than that, then they're fair game for criticism if their boasts prove hollow, I suppose.

Green Magnesium 04.23.2009 08:36 PM

No way is that for real. The chorus sounds even more robotic than auto-tune. I like this song actually.

As for the Jonas boys. The youngest is the only one who is actually hot (minus the hair). Pretty sure he's the only one who is not legal though.

demonrail666 04.23.2009 08:44 PM

It is supposedly faked. Either way it shouldn't matter. My only point is that RnB does like to present itself as being a bit of a champion of authenticity, so it's probably more ripe for criticism than those genres that don't. It's like when Rap artists make some great claim about being from 'the street' and then get ridiculed if the reality doesn't quite correspond with the image. They create the image, basically, so more fool them.

ZEROpumpkins 04.23.2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I think this thread misses the point of all all points entirely. This continuos teasing between 'for real' and 'not for real' is so obsolete and rock-generated it's painful to witness in all its backward narrow-mindedness. Like it even fucking matters someone can sing in tune. Hypocrites.

The hipster voice of reason has arrived. Everyone, celebrate this different opinion, for it is unlike those of which we have expressed.

Glice 04.24.2009 09:34 AM

I've stopped caring about whatever this thread is about, but - This 'homely' person - are we actually talking about Alexandra Burke?

Because, at the risk of sounding a bit like an internet perv (Hello Rob), she's not bad looking at all.

demonrail666 04.24.2009 09:45 AM

Alexandra burke is indeed unutterably sexy. Albeit in a looking down at her bum while standing behind her in the queue at KFC kind of a way (which obviously is a great way to find anyone sexy)

floatingslowly 04.24.2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
she's not bad looking at all.

with pencil-thin eyebrows like those, I'd be shocked if she could manage a simple cantrip.

Rob Instigator 04.24.2009 10:01 AM

can you smell it?

GeneticKiss 04.24.2009 08:14 PM

^^^:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hoax or not, she actually didn't sound too bad til the chorus hit (and I mean that in the most forceful way)...almost postmodern.

The only band/artists who should be allowed to use auto-tune are Daft Punk, since they use it creatively.