Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How does your hometown look like? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1967)

Rob Instigator 05.18.2006 04:30 PM

I like that OLIVER sculpture

HaydenAsche 05.18.2006 06:02 PM

Ever seen a meth lab? That is what my hometown looks like.

EMMAh 05.18.2006 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Youth

art gallery

I wanna live in the art gallery :D

Hip Priest 05.18.2006 06:17 PM

Failed industrial promise. But I like it.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 05.18.2006 06:21 PM

woods + facotries + projects + suburbs

LifeDistortion 05.18.2006 07:14 PM

The street I live on is a stretch of car sales lots and mini malls, and there is no damn bookstore. I hate my neighborhood.

youthoftomorrow 05.18.2006 07:19 PM

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho:

that's like half the city.

nomadicfollower 05.18.2006 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
The street I live on is a stretch of car sales lots and mini malls, and there is no damn bookstore. I hate my neighborhood.

Sounds like my town. Although we did recentley get a bookstore. Too bad it's a Christain bookstore, though.

schizophrenicroom 05.18.2006 07:44 PM

about a mile from my house. whoot. everything in my town is on the side of the road. if you want to do anything, you have to go to new smyrna and daytona.

m^a(t)h 05.18.2006 07:50 PM

Believe or not, my township is the fastest growing community in the US...

Its really gay though, everything thats moving in is either a bank or a church. I really want to get the fuck out of here but ill have to wait for college. And no one around here is interesting or is even into art.

Also another cool fact, my highschool has one of the biggest drug problems in the nation. Actually a month ago, a kid asked if I wanted some morphine for like $10. I told i didnt have any money but he was going to give it to me for free (hes a good friend). I turned it down though and like the next day he got expelled....

noumenal 05.18.2006 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom

about a mile from my house. whoot. everything in my town is on the side of the road. if you want to do anything, you have to go to new smyrna and daytona.

My dad dragged the family to Daytona almost every year growing up.

The reason: Daytona Beach is where young Gregg and Duane Allman fled to in 1959 and started playing music. My dad had similar dreams around 1969 of running away to Daytona with my uncle Duane (no joke) and starting a band called "Georgia Power" named after the electric company. This never happened. But my uncle became an electrician. Also, my parents had their honeymoon in Daytona Beach and my sister was conceived in the Thunderbird Motel.

Chapter Two

To be continued...

qprogeny79 05.18.2006 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I like that OLIVER sculpture

get this: you see the sundial in the foreground of the picture above that? that's where oliver was originally supposed to go. you have to get a sense of the relative sizes involved to appreciate how absurd that sounds . . . the sundial comes up to my chest (maybe), and oliver's base alone is taller than i am. my dorm next year looks directly out on that sculpture . . . i'm excited; the dorm's so new that it's still under construction.

btw, i like those houston pics of yours . . . esp. the one with the rolled-up sidewalk.

Пятхъдесят Шест 05.18.2006 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
Believe or not, my township is the fastest growing community in the US...

Its really gay though, everything thats moving in is either a bank or a church. I really want to get the fuck out of here but ill have to wait for college. And no one around here is interesting or is even into art.

Also another cool fact, my highschool has one of the biggest drug problems in the nation. Actually a month ago, a kid asked if I wanted some morphine for like $10. I told i didnt have any money but he was going to give it to me for free (hes a good friend). I turned it down though and like the next day he got expelled....

St. George, Utah? At least, on the way to Vegas, they made this claim. I wasn't too impressed. Bunch of stoner kids is what I saw. What kind of metropolis are they building in the desert?

HaydenAsche 05.18.2006 07:55 PM

My school is one of the worst drug schools in Minnesota. Thankfully, the majority of the kids here dropped out.

alyasa 05.18.2006 08:29 PM

Everyone lives in big wide open spaces, I feel so cluastrophobic. The land mass of my whole country is 683 sq. km. In comparison, the New York metropolitan area is 30,671 sq. km. Wish I had mountains, lakes and rivers; trees especially. They really make a place breathe. We have none of that here, becasue everything has been levelled to make way for progress and development. For such a small area, we have abt 4 million people packed densely into that tight space. No wonder everyone here is so anal.

soapbars 05.18.2006 09:00 PM

well i live in stockton-on-tees and its not really what youd call picturesque

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...esside1280.jpg

our beaches are beautiful though

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40043000/jpg/_40043740_chemical203.jpg&imgrefurl=http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/click/rss/1.0/-/1/hi/england/4282682.stm&h=152&w=203&sz=11&tbnid=WnsFaJ-LXe-edM:&tbnh=74&tbnw=99&hl=en&start=84&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dteesside%26start%3D80%26svnum%3D10%26 hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

golden child 05.18.2006 09:15 PM

the main street, of downtown salem. i live about 7 miles south of this spot in a more suburban neighborhood

its the state capital

this is acually pretty fun, googling for images

an intersection here

state street is where the courthouse is and church street has like the oldest church in the city

woah shit, googling i found pics from a show i played at and organized

anyway thats enough, i acually cant find much.

EMMAh 05.18.2006 09:46 PM

Salem is really cute :p I wanna gooooo

golden child 05.18.2006 09:49 PM

one flew over the cukoos nest was filmed at a mental instution that is down the street. thats about as exicting as it gets here, and that was 30 years ago.

schizophrenicroom 05.18.2006 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noumenal
My dad dragged the family to Daytona almost every year growing up.

The reason: Daytona Beach is where young Gregg and Duane Allman fled to in 1959 and started playing music. My dad had similar dreams around 1969 of running away to Daytona with my uncle Duane (no joke) and starting a band called "Georgia Power" named after the electric company. This never happened. But my uncle became an electrician. Also, my parents had their honeymoon in Daytona Beach and my sister was conceived in the Thunderbird Motel.

Hahaha. That hotel is so damn ugly.

My school is one of teh best in the country. Somehow.