Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Grunge!!!!!!!!! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19333)

Everyneurotic 01.30.2008 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
i got ya, mate. sorry if ive came off as an asshole. i can certainlyt be a smartass sometimes its in my nature.

i do think its odd however hoe most "underground" folks these days more or less consider all the same bands great.

ya got indie/punker/whatever bastards saying "dinosaur, sonic youth, erase errata, MBV, nirvana, stooges, magick markers, afrirampo (who oddly enough i havent heard anything about in a while)", and basically anything else with thurstons seal of approval..

then of course ya got the doom kids saying "earth, sunn, boris, khanate, acid mothers temple, etc etc". i pretty much stop with earth when it comes to that shit. i did like sunn o)))'s black one but have despised everything else ive heard from em (wasted money on that album they did with boris, hated it). just that slowed down droney shit that musically goes little beyong a slllllooooooooooow sabbath.

yeah, that's something i have been talking about lately, it's become that a lot of people pay attention to certain bands just because certain people are behind them, namedropping them in every interview and yet many more who are/were great have fallen by the sidelines because of this.

i might not agree in taste (i do like the doom shit) but i definitely understand the sentiment (and that earth are unquestionably the fathers of that particular sound.)

have you heard the earth album?

sarramkrop 01.30.2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
because its better than pointing ill-thought WRONG information.

and there was a difference between what was going on in seattle, and what was going on in olympia. ya should look that up sometime.

I'll have to look up on some of my psychology books what the reaction of throwing an even more irrelevant response to a question that you didn't even ask is called. I am sure that's a mental condition too. Yep, the scene in Olympia was/is different from that of Seattle and Nirvana were connected to it, even though you don't see their name associated with it as often as Seattle. And your point is what, exactly? :)

sarramkrop 01.30.2008 11:00 AM

Sure, swa(y).

atsonicpark 01.30.2008 03:15 PM

everyneurotic, your boris signature gives me a fucking boner. no kidding.

Everyneurotic 01.30.2008 07:30 PM

it's atsuo's hair what's turning you on, isn't it?

atsonicpark 01.31.2008 02:19 AM

hahah of course.

NYCgaf16 03.14.2020 07:02 AM

superfuzz bigmuff is better than nevermind let's argue

choc e-Claire 03.14.2020 12:31 PM

Grunge is a fake genre.

_tunic_ 03.14.2020 04:47 PM

Why did nobody mention the Screaming Trees on this thread? I used to like them a lot, Soundgarden too, even PJ and AIC. Nirvana not so much and never listened to Mudhoney (except the occasional song that I didn't like).

Nothing beats the Crazy Horse though!!

Peterpuff 03.15.2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Why did nobody mention the Screaming Trees on this thread? I used to like them a lot, Soundgarden too, even PJ and AIC. Nirvana not so much and never listened to Mudhoney (except the occasional song that I didn't like).

Nothing beats the Crazy Horse though!!

Sweet Oblivion is one of my favorite sing-along albums ever!

h8kurdt 03.15.2020 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCgaf16
superfuzz bigmuff is better than nevermind let's argue

It's clearly not, is it? Either on a track-by-track basis, or as an album as a whole. Egbdf is the closest they came to bettering Nevermind and even then they didn't.