Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bands that were dynamite but now stink. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14914)

total-trash 07.23.2007 12:29 PM

hahah oh yeah the offspring. i really enjoyed listening to them for a while. the fact that i liked them is more comical than weird though.

sarramkrop 07.23.2007 12:31 PM

Someone who lists The Offspring as a good band that they never were will never understand listing Dinosaur Jr as the shite band that they have become.

pbradley 07.23.2007 12:37 PM

bah, Beyond was one of the best albums released this year

but I agree that the offspring were always garbage

total-trash 07.23.2007 12:48 PM

i'm not sayin the offspring are good. i'm just reminescing about when i liked listening to them in like 7th grade.

Everyneurotic 07.23.2007 01:55 PM

i never said i liked their earlier stuff, i just said their last album wasn't that good.

actually, they were kinda meh before anneke joined the band.

but you do bring me bad news, it sucks, i really liked the gathering with anneke.

Everyneurotic 07.23.2007 01:58 PM

people liking the beyond actually demonstrates the number of closet neoclassical shredder fans here.

there's pretty much no difference between j mascis soloing over most of the beyond and, say, a joe satriani album...oh, right, satriani isn't "cool".

total-trash 07.23.2007 01:59 PM

i thought beyond was fine. i'm sort of neutral towards it.

Concrete Abutments 07.23.2007 02:27 PM

Agreed Zeropumpkins. The Red Hot Chili Peppers were the first to pop into my head when I saw this thread. I saw them twice waaaaaaay back when and they were at the top of my list of LIVE bands then. I've been hoping against hope for YEARS that they'd finally get back to the way they sounded with the original band. It'll never happen! Right at the release of Mother's Milk I never could stand Chad on drums next to Jack Irons. Jack was a MACHINE! Chad just keeps the beat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Chili Peppers

zedius 07.23.2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Someone who lists The Offspring as a good band that they never were will never understand listing Dinosaur Jr as the shite band that they have become.

Explain in detail please.

pbradley 07.23.2007 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
people liking the beyond actually demonstrates the number of closet neoclassical shredder fans here.

there's pretty much no difference between j mascis soloing over most of the beyond and, say, a joe satriani album...oh, right, satriani isn't "cool".

that's assuming the only draw is the guitar solos

but you made me laugh, so thanks for that

Everyneurotic 07.23.2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
that's assuming the only draw is the guitar solos

but you made me laugh, so thanks for that

well, is their anything else in that album?

besides, like, four mumbled sentences.

atsonicpark 07.23.2007 11:39 PM

dinosaur blows. just overglorified cock rock.

offspring.. "all i want" is the fucking hit of the century!

uhh.. i forgot to check, but did people list mayhem or burzum? they turned to shit. i think whoever said butthole surfers definitely hit it on the head.. that band just got worse and worse..

Everyneurotic 07.24.2007 12:02 AM

i was going to say mayhem, but ordo ad chao is pretty fucking awesome, they did turn around.

burzum, totally. actually, most black metal bandas that last more than 6 or 7 years, especially if they are norwegian. think about it, only darkthrone remain consistant and they are "good" not amazing.

khanate, i'm so glad they broke up, capture and release was the blandest, most boring album ever.

yes suck now and have sucked since "owner of a lonely heart"

ED:: oh! oh!

rancid, they were never like the most trailblazing band but they were really good, then they signed to a major, tim started rapping, had kelly osbourne on their videos and generally started sucking bad bad.

Norma J 07.24.2007 12:42 AM

I agree on the Rancid thing. But again, it's another Metallica situation for me - their fans are the worst thing about the band.

zedius 07.24.2007 12:49 AM

The worst thing about metallica is the part where he says I'm madly in anger with you.

atsonicpark 07.24.2007 03:50 AM

i really like st. anger.

the songwriting (well, i dunno if there actually is "songwriting") is shit, but the production is awesome (in a really weird way), and it has some of the weirdest/sickest guitar tones i've ever heard. everyone should listen to a few songs from it to hear what i mean. and the song invisible kid has like 30 riffs.

sarramkrop 07.24.2007 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedius
Explain in detail please.

What? Do you want me to explain why mtv punk as played by American dudes in shorts sounds like shit? Sure that's a well documented fact, without me having to rant about it, alright?

the ikara cult 07.24.2007 04:13 AM

I dont know if anyones mentioned Guns N roses but thats pretty much the archetype for me.
I tend to enjoy earlier Oasis songs when they come on the radio.
Anyone who remembers Idlewild, they were great until the bassist left (its such a cliche but it was true)

sonicl 07.24.2007 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
Pixies! They were great before they reunited - pretty obvious though.

Pixies went crap before they even split. They should've gone their seperate ways an album earlier, or possibly even two albums.

atsonicpark 07.24.2007 05:01 AM

whaaaaa? trompe le mond is their best record! sure, bossanova wasn't very good, but damn...

as far as their reunion goes, how can you say they were great before they reunited? they have recorded two songs since reuniting; one a cover and one.. just some throwaway thing no one cares about. also, their live playing is better than ever. so, they actually are better than they've ever been, technically. they have not released a full length record since reuniting, so i'm not sure how you can say they "stink" now. unless the idea of them ever playing their songs for people who never got to the see them before bothers you that much... then, i guess they do "stink".