Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   if you could get guitar lessons from 3 guitarists, who would they be? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13556)

king_buzzo 06.01.2007 01:41 PM

This requires thought. Let me just think this trough dinner

Savage Clone 06.01.2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_buzzo
This requires thought. Let me just think this trough dinner

(It requires thought because he only listens to Kevin Shields and J. Mascis, and figuring out a candidate for #3 would require branching out a bit)

jennthebenn 06.01.2007 01:54 PM

i'm distressed that he eats out of a trough. you are not a pig! you are
human!

sarramkrop 06.01.2007 01:56 PM

Well, it's taking Kevin Shields some time to come up with a new My Bloody Valentine record. If you apply the same attidute to the way you chew food......

king_buzzo 06.01.2007 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
(It requires thought because he only listens to Kevin Shields and J. Mascis, and figuring out a candidate for #3 would require branching out a bit)

No, I wouldnt wanna take lessons from Kevin anyways. I decided that I'm too 'indie' for guitar lessons, i'd rather have them run trough their set-ups and show some cool sounds and noise.

sonicl 06.01.2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_buzzo
Bert Weedon
Hank Marvin
haven't decided the other one yet

May I suggest Lonnie Donegan?

Savage Clone 06.01.2007 02:12 PM

Sn@ke:

OK, and I think you missed my point as well.
I'm saying that Paul can play straight Jazz, heavy electric rock, fingerstyle guitar stuff, out/free jazz, and Indian/Asian influenced stuff.
These are all areas he plays exceptionally well. He has used the banjo to play sets of a purely free jazz nature; sets that were very angular and had little to no influence from the East. It's only one of his instruments, and the instrument itself is not a one-trick pony. There is a lot of thought put into what he is going to play on it at any given time.
One of those three pieces is in 10/8, for god's sake. Plus, the thing is chromaticaly fretted and there are many many wrong notes to choose from
on that thing. He plays in this way very deliberately, because if he wanted to do something else stylistically and was in the mood to do so, he would.
He can use the banjo in many ways, just like he can use a standard guitar in many different ways. To say that it is "the instrument and not him" is to ignore just how versatile he is as a player. You have only heard one facet of his playing.

king_buzzo 06.01.2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
May I suggest Lonnie Donegan?

yey

Savage Clone 06.01.2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sn@ke

AANND finally about Metzger, If you have that modified banjo, and you have the skills that Mr.Metzger have. You'll sound like him, specially on an improvisation. It's not like he has his own strumming technique or something.

On this point, there are two or three techniques I have seen Paul use that I have never seen anyone else use before; this doesn't mean that they haven't been done, but I've seen a lot of people play string instruments and there are a couple of extended techniques I have seen him apply that were completely new to me.

Edit:
And obviously we both like Paul, so in the end we're on the same page, but I'm pretty sure that if you had seen him play as much as I have, you probably wouldn't hold this point of view.

Washing Machine 06.01.2007 02:26 PM

I know many like him but Hank Marvin's style drives me nut!!!

Mine would be:

Johnny Marr
Lee Randalo
Glenn Branca

sarramkrop 06.01.2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sn@ke
Well...I think you're right to an extent, I should have been more especific:

The instrument dictates the sound of the music
and the player dictates how the sound sounds on the music.

?? what? haha...:D

That's interesting. This thread made me think of how it's literally impossible to copy someone who has way too distinctive a style of playing music, so the only lessons that you could get from them are purely technical. The talent is only there if you have it, and unfortunately we don't all have it. Lucky bastards to those who do. One of the reasons why I have only vaguely attempted to approach strings in general.

nicfit 06.01.2007 02:35 PM

Right now, I'd say:
Prince
Lee Ranaldo
Josh T. Pearson

Rob Instigator 06.01.2007 02:49 PM

I have changed my mind. I would want to learn guitar from one man only

JIMI HENDRIX, but he had a giant thumb and he fingered the bass notes with his thumb which my hand cannot do and he strung a right handed guitar backwards which may not translate to me.....

Rob Instigator 06.01.2007 02:52 PM

being able to play viola fantastically is like being able to pick your ass fantastically. who fucking cares?

There are like 10 pieces for solo viola in the repertoire, because the viola is one nasally sounding shitbox.

long live the cello!

sarramkrop 06.01.2007 02:59 PM

Watch it, Roberta!!!! I'm a mean recorder player. I even let a streak of saliva off my mouth, if I play it ferociously.

atsonicpark 06.01.2007 03:16 PM

1. trey spruance
2. paul leary
3. both polvo dudes

king_buzzo 06.02.2007 12:27 PM

Got it:
J Mascis
Asa Irons
Tom Verlaine

Maybe switch asa for some uber skilled jazzer?

thewall91 06.03.2007 10:14 AM

I take lessons from the great Robbie Seahag of Sound of Urchin, and I consider myself blessed.

demonrail666 06.03.2007 10:22 AM

Bert Weedon

Torn Curtain 06.03.2007 10:38 AM

Richard Lloyd's online lessons:

http://www.richardlloyd.com/lessons/index.htm