Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

nicfit 08.25.2009 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrad
Spun

He he you keep on watching things somehow related to Lady Gaga :p!

acdc518 08.25.2009 02:13 AM

i really liked it. a slasher that actually takes place in the real world. that and the lead actor does a great job 8.5/10

kudos to sonic youth 37 for recommending this. Lulz/10

noisereductions 08.25.2009 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godsfavoritedog
Finally got my dvr to work long enough to see this ... a true classic!

Yes! I told you! I'm spearheading the initiative to get ppl to actually watch it and realize that it's f'ing awesome.

noisereductions 08.25.2009 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc518

i really liked it. a slasher that actually takes place in the real world. that and the lead actor does a great job 8.5/10

Maniac is amazing. So scary and tense.

fugazifan 08.25.2009 07:46 AM

i saw funny people. it was much better than i expected.
i saw clockwise funny 80s john cleese movie. reminded me of wild strawberries mets its a mad mad mad mad world.

i wanna see inglorious basterds.
and i have to see a bunch of wonderful old movies for a paper that im writing.

atsonicpark 08.25.2009 08:14 AM

Maniac is my favorite slasher movie of all time.

I watched :

the ten - 7/10
taboo - 5/10

noisereductions 08.25.2009 08:16 AM

I loved the part in The Ten with the washing machines. haha.

atsonicpark 08.25.2009 08:16 AM

I'd never even heard of the Ten! This just came out of nowhere, to me. Some of it was lame but it actually had a really .. um ... enjoyable (to me) .. sense of humor.

noisereductions 08.25.2009 08:18 AM

It wasn't up to the level of Wet Hot American Summer, but it really had some great stuff for fans (like using the name Jim Stansel. HA!). And there was definitely some awesome parts in it. Great ensemble as well. As you know, my favorite group of comediens.

By the way, have you seen The Baxter?

atsonicpark 08.25.2009 08:20 AM

What's the Baxter? Is that different than a movie just called "Baxter"? Because I saw a movie a long time ago called Baxter about a killer nazi dog or some shit.

noisereductions 08.25.2009 08:22 AM

no, no. The Baxter. Written by and starring Michael Showalter. It's actually the most subtle I've ever seen him.

Also Elizabeth Banks, Justin Theroux (sp?) and um... Jen from Dawson's Creek.

godsfavoritedog 08.25.2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Yes! I told you! I'm spearheading the initiative to get ppl to actually watch it and realize that it's f'ing awesome.

I tried to tell a guy at work about it yesterday and he just looked at me and said "what the fuck is wrong with you?" ... pearls before swine, I tell you.

noisereductions 08.25.2009 08:46 AM

I have this theory that ppl just want to not like it. "Oh I HEARD it's the worst movie EVER! Lindsay did COKE! OMG!"

noisereductions 08.25.2009 08:48 AM

If I ever start another band, I'm calling it Dakota Moss.

noisereductions 08.25.2009 08:50 AM

from wiki:

Despite this the film did garner a few positive reviews. Fangoria praises the film's imaginative use of colour: "the director and his visual team bathe the film in deep blues and reds, a welcome departure from the dirty green, sodium-lit palette of similarly themed horror fare, and the end result is simply a beautiful, eye-popping visual treat, so stylized that one can’t help recalling Argento’s approach to Suspiria."[10] The Radio Times also alluded to the director "recalling the style of Dario Argento" in a "twisty, perversely fascinating psycho thriller."[11] Horror movie website Bloody Disgusting gave the film a glowing review and suggested that "Lohan's continual issues with drugs/alcohol/DUI’s/rehab/on-set bitchiness" were part of a "whirlwind of media frenzy" which was unnecessary and "irrelevant to the movie". The film itself was "a more-than-pleasant surprise, well-filmed, well-acted, especially by Lohan herself, and a surprisingly intriguing and gruesome little thriller."[12] And according to "The Movie Boy": "Lohan's stripteases and pole-swinging theatrics at the gentleman's club are notable for being genuinely steamy, sleekly shot and choreographed".[13]

and

Chris Sivertson is a filmmaker best known as the director of the 2007 horror film I Know Who Killed Me, starring Lindsay Lohan. The film was not well-received by critics[1] and it won several Golden Raspberry Awards.[2] However, the film subsequently developed a cult following, with screenings at the Los Angeles Silent Movie Theater and the NuArt, and has been favorably compared by Boston Globe critic Ty Burr to Brian de Palma's Sisters and Body Double as well as the works of David Lynch.[3] Other films Sivertson has written and produced include The Lost (2005, also director), based on the popular novel by Jack Ketchum, and Wicked Lake (2008).

godsfavoritedog 08.25.2009 09:08 AM

"a more-than-pleasant surprise, well-filmed, well-acted, especially by Lohan herself, and a surprisingly intriguing and gruesome little thriller."

LOL, I dont know about "well-acted" ... a lot of the actors were brutal, especially the boyfriend and the strip club manager. But Lindsay was great, the music kicked ass, and some of the visuals were amazing. I'd much rather watch something like this than District 9 or whatever other crap the sheep are raving about this week.

noisereductions 08.25.2009 09:12 AM

Word.

I should've been casted in the boyfriend role. ha.

GeneticKiss 08.25.2009 02:48 PM

7/10 for the plot, 9.5/10 for the nudity

TheFoxBen 08.25.2009 03:18 PM

7/10.

noisereductions 08.25.2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFoxBen

7/10.

that's about right. I actually think I like it more than the first. Maybe.