Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Sonic Youth 37 06.10.2009 02:14 PM

9/10. Best movie I've seen all year. A very powerful and perfectly executed film.

atsonicpark 06.10.2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
If its anything like tetsuo than the dialogue isn't worth a damn but... are we not supposed to know what they are saying? I'm only in part one but I wanted to make sure before I got too far and got confused or annoyed or something

There's hardly any dialogue but there are subtitles later. It's mainly an art/noise movie. The images are just insane.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.10.2009 02:37 PM

noisereductions 06.10.2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Ah yeah... I had an old memory of a film and I wrote to http://www.joebobbriggs.com/ftf/findthatflick.html and he found out the movie I was thinking of. It was a Stephen King-based movie.. I thought for sure there were soul sucking camels in it but someone wrote in and said it was cat people. You could write in there and he'll probably get you the answer.

Joe Bob is the shiz. He even likes Majorettes!

noisereductions 06.10.2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

damn, I used to have this a long time ago! I dont' even remember it.

atsonicpark 06.10.2009 02:40 PM

Been downloading/burning/watching old favorites to DVD that I wore out on VHS years ago:

all 9/10.

atsonicpark 06.10.2009 02:43 PM

I think I'm going to watch Bad Biology later. I love Henenlotter.

atsonicpark 06.10.2009 04:11 PM

Anyone else excited for the COMBAT SHOCK TROMASTERPIECE COLLECTION dvd? Remastered picture and sound, on 2 discs, they're going all out. One of my all time favorite movies.

atsonicpark 06.10.2009 04:19 PM

Also, I present to you, my "top 10 most insane movies ever made".. I guess "insane" is subjective, but what I mean is... bizarre stories and especially imagery.. very unique films.. movies to watch while tripping on acid..:

1. shaye and kiki: triggers
2. visions of suffering
3. death powder
4. pinnochio 964
5. the holy mountain
6. begotten
7. dog star man
8. izo
9. la mao (aka "The Cat")
10. boxer's omen

Derek 06.10.2009 04:56 PM

The Holy Mountain is too insanely awesome... I could never choose between that or El Topo because I like them equally...

The Holy Mountain has more substance to it maybe but El Topo makes me feel a lot more satisfied watching it.

Nice list anyway, my girlfriend said Pinnochio 964 was terrible when I told her to watch it haha.

atsonicpark 06.10.2009 04:58 PM

El Topo is my favorite of the two. But then, I prefer films that mainly focus on one character... The Holy Mountain is "technically" better but I think El Topo has more... heart. Or something.

Pinnochio is a masterpiece. My girlfriend thought it was amazing!!

noisereductions 06.10.2009 05:21 PM

I dont' have Bad Blood yet. But Brain Damage is a 10/10.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 06.10.2009 05:57 PM

atsonicpark 06.10.2009 07:05 PM

always in the woods.

atsonicpark 06.10.2009 07:05 PM

butterfly kiss - 7/10

Crazy film.

viewtiful_alan 06.10.2009 10:04 PM

7/10
Some parts were spectacular
Others... not so much.
I fucking loved the ending with Roy Orbison's "Crying" that was just great.

atsonicpark 06.10.2009 10:18 PM

Agreed. Gummo's overrated but it has some brilliant stuff here or there. Great soundtrack too. Still an important film, no matter what my opinions are of its content..

viewtiful_alan 06.10.2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Agreed. Gummo's overrated but it has some brilliant stuff here or there. Great soundtrack too. Still an important film, no matter what my opinions are of its content..

Yeah, I'm definitley glad I saw it, it could have been better though.
Are any of Harmony Korine's other movies worth seeing?

Tokolosh 06.11.2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, there's a graveyard scene in this film which is hilarious.
Haven't seen it in years.

Watched The Reader last night. Not bad.

atsonicpark 06.11.2009 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
Yeah, I'm definitley glad I saw it, it could have been better though.
Are any of Harmony Korine's other movies worth seeing?

I don't have the popular opinion on this stuff, so..... I did like Mister Lonely okay, and I think Julien Donkey Boy is pretty lousy despite a few amazing scenes (and, again, an unbelievable soundtrack). As for the movies he's written, I didn't like Kids, and Ken Park is just.. okay. He's an interesting guy, and I know his films have a style that appeals to people (I hear him being called a genius all the time) but frankly they just don't do much for me usually. There's always a few brilliant things in 'em though.