Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

The Soup Nazi 10.06.2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Like... the martyr upon which all future martyrs are based? The “archetypal” martyr?

It's a stupid name for a band is what it is. Not as bad as "Portugal. The Man", though — I mean, the latter is the ALL-TIME FUCKING NADIR of band names or pseudonyms or whatever the fuck that crap is.

Severian 10.07.2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
It's a stupid name for a band is what it is. Not as bad as "Portugal. The Man", though — I mean, the latter is the ALL-TIME FUCKING NADIR of band names or pseudonyms or whatever the fuck that crap is.

No way man. Portugal, the Man is not the worst. I’m SURE I know of a worse one... just can’t think of it right now.

30 Seconds to Mars is worse, actually. But I don’t that’s not even the one I was thinking of. Hmm.

evollove 10.09.2017 11:02 AM

Got RATHER RIPPED for fifty cents at library books sale.

Yeah, I already have it. But what was I gonna do? Not buy it?

noisereductions 10.09.2017 12:33 PM

I've bought many SY albums twice, but for bonus tracks.

The Soup Nazi 10.10.2017 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Portugal, the Man is not the worst.

That's actually a period there, not a comma. "Portugal. The Man". Which makes it WORSE. And WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT EVEN MEAN. FUCK HIM/THEM.

Severian 10.10.2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
That's actually a period there, not a comma. "Portugal. The Man". Which makes it WORSE. And WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT EVEN MEAN. FUCK HIM/THEM.

Hahaha! It’s a PERIOD?! What?! Ok, it’s pretty goddamn bad, but there still another that I’m thinking of that might be worse. Can’t remmeber what, but it’s bad.

Men Without Hats isn’t great
The World is A Beautiful Place and I Am no Longer Afraid to Die is also really fucking bad.

But there’s one that’s just not coming to me.

Severian 10.10.2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Got RATHER RIPPED for fifty cents at library books sale.

Yeah, I already have it. But what was I gonna do? Not buy it?

I’ve bought almost every SY album at least twice. You did the right thing.

SonicSleuth 11.14.2017 12:09 AM

Sonic Youth Live at Battery Park, NYC July 4th 2008 on eBay, arrived today.

Bytor Peltor 11.14.2017 02:00 AM

Sleep Movies - Sleep Movies Drinks The Potion

John Collin - The Great Stink

The Soup Nazi 11.14.2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicSleuth
Sonic Youth Live at Battery Park, NYC July 4th 2008 on eBay, arrived today.

Nice! Got that one with The Eternal via Matador's Buy Early Get Now shenanigans. Is that still a thing?

noisereductions 11.15.2017 03:27 PM

Amazon is giving away the Foo Fighters Cecilia mp3 EP for free today. :|

Savage Clone 11.16.2017 10:05 PM

Graham Bond - Holy Magick

Really happy to have finally obtained a vinyl copy of this 1970 ecstatic occult prog/jazz masterpiece. Enochian calls and all.

Massenvernichtungswaffen 11.17.2017 02:56 AM

Land of Talk - Life after Youth

Very mellow compared to earlier works. I recommend the album "Applause Cheer Boo Hiss" to anyone who hasn't heard them. It's the debut and their most energetic and intense release. Liz Powell's one hell of a guitarist. 3 piece band. Very unique guitar tone and lots of open tuning and soloing akin to melding Ranaldo with Cobain.

Severian 12.07.2017 09:57 AM

Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Duke Ellington Songbook

Not sure if this is the correct cover art. Ordered it a few days ago, and found this on Google images just to share. The version I ordered has three discs though. :eek:

Originally I was just getting a copy for my father for Christmas, and I decided to snag one for myself. The price was right and the music’a good. I also am a fan of the Ella Sings Gershwin boxed set.

Genteel Death 01.11.2018 10:31 AM

Homostupids - Strawberry Orange Peach Banana

Massenvernichtungswaffen 01.30.2018 11:03 PM

noisereductions 03.08.2018 08:27 AM

hey another biggie knocked off my want list! Medium Rare was released for Record Store Day 2011, originally as a vinyl only release. It's a covers album, which I'm a big fan of. And It was then re-released in a limited capacity on CD in Europe in cooperation w/ Q Magazine. Copies aren't exactly "rare," as there's always a handful on ebay and Discogs. The problem is that copies generally aren't cheap, so I'd been waiting to at least find what I considered a deal. Happy to finally have this album.

LifeDistortion 04.13.2018 08:41 PM

Nada- L'amore e fortissimo, il corpo no

selkcip 04.14.2018 06:33 PM

Autechre - NTS Sessions

shit is fuckin' masterful

dirty bunny 04.16.2018 07:01 PM

Kill 'Em All by Metallica