Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   London gig guide (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6298)

Toilet & Bowels 02.23.2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
I got the impression that there isn't a single person in Japan that Nanjo hasn't pissed off, mainly due to his releasing loads of people's music on La Musica without asking them first and without paying them.

This, plus that La Musica releases were priced about £20 for a CD-R

pokkeherrie 02.25.2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

I got the impression that there isn't a single person in Japan that Nanjo hasn't pissed off, mainly due to his releasing loads of people's music on La Musica without asking them first and without paying them.

The band now seems to be called "Makoto Kawabata's Mainliner", which I can't say I'm very keen on.

Anyway, here's a photo.

I just read some comment saying that Nanjo has even toured the US playing as Mainliner once without Kawabata... dunno if that's true, but if it is I could imagine that pissing off Kawabata enough to hire some replacement dude with a Johnny Ramone haircut instead. But then it seems even more unnecessary to bring Mainliner back to life in the first place.

blunderbuss 03.06.2013 12:54 PM

Saturday, 16 March 2013
Plastic Crimewave, supported by Matthew Shaw
The Gorilla Store, 1-3 Rivington Street, EC2A 3DT

FREE ENTRY
BYO
From 8pm.

Plastic Crimewave (born Steven H. Krakow) is a Chicago-based illustrator and writer, avant-garde musician, music historian and impresario.

He is the editor of Drag City-published magazine Galactic Zoo Dossier, eponymous frontman for Plastic Crimewave Sound, founder of the Million Tongues Festival, and Vision Celestial Guitarkestra.

He writes and illustrates the "Secret History of Chicago Music" comic in the Chicago Reader and co-hosts WGN-AM's Secret History of Chicago Music series. He runs Drag City imprint label, Galactic Zoo Disk.

Supporting Plastic Crimewave will be Matthew Shaw. Matthew is one of the most fascinating figures on the UK drone underground, collaborating with thinkers like Brian Lavelle (as Fougou) and Andrew Paine (as The Blue Tree) while releasing music under his own name and the Tex La Homa pseudonym via a host of labels, including his own Apollolaan Recordings. His music delves deep in Hidden Reverse traditions, incorporating specific environmental soundings of occult landscapes into beautiful drone works that advance the oracular/hallucinogenic English underground tradition of Coil, Richard Youngs, Andrew Chalk et al.

http://www.facebook.com/events/423515927740292/

Genteel Death 03.06.2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Saturday, 16 March 2013
Plastic Crimewave, supported by Matthew Shaw
The Gorilla Store, 1-3 Rivington Street, EC2A 3DT

FREE ENTRY
BYO
From 8pm.

Plastic Crimewave (born Steven H. Krakow) is a Chicago-based illustrator and writer, avant-garde musician, music historian and impresario.

He is the editor of Drag City-published magazine Galactic Zoo Dossier, eponymous frontman for Plastic Crimewave Sound, founder of the Million Tongues Festival, and Vision Celestial Guitarkestra.

He writes and illustrates the "Secret History of Chicago Music" comic in the Chicago Reader and co-hosts WGN-AM's Secret History of Chicago Music series. He runs Drag City imprint label, Galactic Zoo Disk.

Supporting Plastic Crimewave will be Matthew Shaw. Matthew is one of the most fascinating figures on the UK drone underground, collaborating with thinkers like Brian Lavelle (as Fougou) and Andrew Paine (as The Blue Tree) while releasing music under his own name and the Tex La Homa pseudonym via a host of labels, including his own Apollolaan Recordings. His music delves deep in Hidden Reverse traditions, incorporating specific environmental soundings of occult landscapes into beautiful drone works that advance the oracular/hallucinogenic English underground tradition of Coil, Richard Youngs, Andrew Chalk et al.

http://www.facebook.com/events/423515927740292/

Thanks! There's someone I always wanted to check out live.

pad_023 03.11.2013 03:49 PM

I have one standing ticket available for My Bloody Valentine tomorrow. £30 which is face value.

Genteel Death 03.21.2013 08:58 AM

Thursday 11th July, 2013
NAZORANAI (KEIJI HAINO/ STEPHEN O'MALLEY/ OREN AMBARCHI)

SCALA
275 Pentonville Road, King´s Cross
London N1 9NL
Doors 7pm
£15 adv / wegottickets available here ticket web here

NAZORANAI

NAZORANAI is the dark matter-heavy power trio of Keiji Haino (guitar/synth/vox), Oren Ambarchi (drums) and Sunn O)))’s Stephen O’Malley (Bass).

Inaugurated with a 2011 concert in Holland, the group’s third and most recent show was captured to consciousness-smashing effect on last year’s self-titled LP (Ideologic Organ/Editions Mego). As with the wider range of Haino’s ever-evolving stable of ensembles the Dark Master is very much at the helm in Nazaronai, but this trio still marks a clear and thrilling departure from past configurations.

Fushitsusha, whilst highly fluid, maintain a stout basis of blues-derived ‘classic’-era transatlantic heavy rock, from Sabbath and Hendrix to Floyd and Amon Duul. The output of Haino/O’Rourke/Ambarchi, meanwhile, has a meticulous but deliriously wild, ever-accelerating, no-handbrake-fitted freedom and intensity.

Nazaronai, in contrast, construct a transcendent amalgam of motorik metal and ferociously unfettered space-rock. The blood-deep musical kinship that O’Malley and Ambarchi have forged through Sunn O))) and Gravetemple allows them to lay down a transfixing, remorseless, march-of-an-undead-host fundament of bass and drums from which Haino-san is able to cut jaw-slackeningly loose, fissuring forth from the pit of Hades before setting the overall controls for the other side of the Kuiper Belt.

blunderbuss 03.21.2013 12:33 PM

AUTHOR & PUNISHER
Weds 8th May – Milk And Lead Gallery
1A Turville Street, London E2 7HX
http://www.facebook.com/MILKandLEAD

stu666 03.30.2013 07:38 AM

CARTER TUTTI PLAYS CHRIS & COSEY - HEAVEN, LONDON - 19th MAY

Chris Carter and Cosey Fanni Tutti will be playing their acclaimed CHRIS & COSEY live set in London on the 19th May at Heaven.

With special guests: Mika Vainio and Excepter.

(thanks for the tip off Bytor Peltor!)

blunderbuss 04.11.2013 03:12 PM

113 DALSTON LANE
T G GONDARD + GAEL MOISSONNIER + CHORA
Thursday, 18th April

TG Gondard is currently based in brussels. First known as “TG” and active in the french underground since the late 90′s, he (Thibault Gondard) has explored many musical worlds, through his own melancholic lo-fi filter. His current output can be seen as an urban post-R’n'B world full of dirty samples and syncopated beats. His debut, “Avontuur” was released last year on Not Not Fun, and its follower is a new tape album of french electronic songs entitled “bye-bye waterloo”

Gael Moissonnier is based between Lyon and Brussels and very musically active in both cities. His solo shows utilise the crisp warbling of analogue synthesis in an enticing tussle with gnarly tape and voice manipulation.

Chora from London, are finally playing at 113 after many halted attempts. The duo use a multitude of instruments and objects to open the gates of a junkyard gamelan vibe of which only they have access. We’re excite to have them on the bill with a couple of their many collaborators.

blunderbuss 04.11.2013 03:17 PM

@ CAFE OTO

Ikue Mori / Steve Noble Duo
Monday 24 June 2013
Tickets : £10 advance / £12 on the door

The Necks
Monday 4 November 2013 / Tuesday 5 November 2013 / Wednesday 6 November 2013
Tickets : £14 per night advance / £16 door / £35 three day pass

blunderbuss 04.14.2013 02:02 PM

blunderbuss 04.16.2013 06:58 PM

Bee Mask
Café Oto
Saturday 1 June 2013
Tickets : £10 adv, £12 on the door

Bee Mask (est. 2004) is a project of Chris Madak and a vehicle for an intricate and deeply warped idea of modern electronic music which draws equally on the ecstatic human/machine couplings of 1970s west coast synthesis, the fractured gloss of sampler concrète, the iridescent thumbprint of High Minimalism on the humid throb of trunk bass, and the barely- sublimated currents of vertigo and terror that course beneath the most unsettling moments in the canon of home-recorded psychedelia.

The 2011 reissue of Canzoni dal Laboratorio del Silenzio Cosmico on the Spectrum Spools imprint of Editions Mego revealed Bee Mask’s place on the leading edge of a world in which distinctions between “head music” and “body music” no longer apply. In the wake of Canzoni and the double LP retrospective Elegy for Beach Friday, Chris has performed throughout the United States, Canada, Australia, Japan, and Europe and completed commissioned electroacoustic works dedicated to The Sonic Arts Union and John Cage. In 2012, Bee Mask debuted on the Room40 label with the Vaporware / Scanops 12″ and returned to Spectrum Spools with the full-length When We Were Eating Unripe Pears.

Toilet & Bowels 04.22.2013 02:37 PM

Selventer was in the top 3 or 4 things I've ever seen

stu666 04.22.2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels

They were fucking brilliant!

blunderbuss 04.24.2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
They were fucking brilliant!

I couldn't agree more.

ilduclo 04.24.2013 10:22 AM

last Novs wels set from Selvhenter just posted on Bootlegs thread, in case no one got it off dime a dozen or the earlier posting by HBJ!

hao 05.08.2013 10:20 AM

Here is a blog about concerts in London
http://lasttrains.blogspot.co.uk

Genteel Death 05.16.2013 07:09 AM

Otomo Yoshihide told me on Saturday that he will be back in September with a choir of disabled children he's been doing charity work for.

Toilet & Bowels 05.16.2013 08:14 AM

How was Otomo? I got there late just a few minutes before he started playing in a quartet with those 3 blokes but left after 10 mins because I couldn't stand their jazz wank.

Genteel Death 05.17.2013 01:20 AM

I loved the gig and I was particularly impressed by Roger Turner's drumming. It was jazz but there were plenty of moments of spazz too.

Genteel Death 05.17.2013 01:26 AM

MOON DUO

GNOD

NOVELLA

Wednesday 17 July

The Dome

178 Junction Road, Tufnell Park, N19 5QQ | Map
7:30 | £11 | Buy tickets

THE HOLYDRUG COUPLE

Friday 4 October

The Victoria

451 Queensbridge Road, Dalston, E8 3AS | Map
8:00 | £6 | Buy tickets

PENGO, BLOOD STEREO, USURPER, INFINITE GAAAH, IAN MURPHY / DUNCAN HARRISON

Sunday 28 July

The Victoria

451 Queensbridge Road, Dalston, E8 3AS | Map
3:00 - 9:00 | £6 | Buy tickets

blunderbuss 06.17.2013 09:07 AM

Borbetomagus + Junzo Suzuki + Twilit Grotto
Café Oto
Wednesday 23 October 2013

BORBETOMAGUS
Fire-breathing saxophonists Don Dietrich and Jim Sauter duel with Donald Miller’s face-flaying guitar in BORBETOMAGUS. Formed in 1979, the trio play with a savage unity of purpose, coagulating crushing dirges and thick, screaming storms of noise that drag the listener to a point of astonished, exhilarated serenity. They cast a seething, many-tentacled shadow of influence over the Japanese and American noise scenes (attested by collaborations with such as Kevin Drumm and Thurston Moore) and stand as wild, brutish brethren to many of our finest European improvisers. Merciless, undeniable and monstrously beautiful.

"When the first hideously distorted shrieks and roars hit my ears, I nearly fell over from the raw force of it. That couldn't be a saxophone - it sounded like someone being torn limb from limb. Was that a guitar, or someone revving up a gigantic engine to the brink of explosion?" WIRE

JUNZO SUZUKI
Junzo Suzuki is a Japanese guitarist/vocalist perhaps best known for his involvement in the underground psych bands Overhang Party and Miminokoto. His solo music is stripped down form of 'ghost' blues and improvisation that recalls Loren Connors and his fellow countryman Hisato Higuchi.

His second full length CD 'Buried Sky, Spider Torn to Pieces' has just come out on Junzo's own Plunk's Plan label. He also performs with 20 Guilders, Nasca Car, Pouring High Water and Samm Bennett's Ghost Steppers.

"Some of [Suzuki's] convulsive six-string punctuation touches on the ferocious folk-poetry of Kan Mikami but there's also a ton of exquisitely dilated space which Junzo navigates with endless interlocked webs of chiming six-string guitar that's the equal of Christina Carter or Hisato Higuchi. His vocals touch on the more quizzical, breathy style of Keiji Haino and the tracks feel like they plot the vaguest contours of folk-blues logic before piloting deeper into increasingly unanchored explorations of single notes and sudden machine gun retorts isolated in dark, black space."

TWILIT GROTTO
"Heavy electronics from the desk of Mark Dicker (Trencher, Palehorse, Time). Raw oscillators and oscillating roars smash their way through a miasma of modulation. Imagine an screeching urban fox taking an angry shit in a broken and battered reverb tank... There you have it."

Toilet & Bowels 06.17.2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Borbetomagus + Junzo Suzuki + Twilit Grotto
Café Oto
Wednesday 23 October 2013

BORBETOMAGUS
Fire-breathing saxophonists Don Dietrich and Jim Sauter duel with Donald Miller’s face-flaying guitar in BORBETOMAGUS. Formed in 1979, the trio play with a savage unity of purpose, coagulating crushing dirges and thick, screaming storms of noise that drag the listener to a point of astonished, exhilarated serenity. They cast a seething, many-tentacled shadow of influence over the Japanese and American noise scenes (attested by collaborations with such as Kevin Drumm and Thurston Moore) and stand as wild, brutish brethren to many of our finest European improvisers. Merciless, undeniable and monstrously beautiful.

"When the first hideously distorted shrieks and roars hit my ears, I nearly fell over from the raw force of it. That couldn't be a saxophone - it sounded like someone being torn limb from limb. Was that a guitar, or someone revving up a gigantic engine to the brink of explosion?" WIRE

JUNZO SUZUKI
Junzo Suzuki is a Japanese guitarist/vocalist perhaps best known for his involvement in the underground psych bands Overhang Party and Miminokoto. His solo music is stripped down form of 'ghost' blues and improvisation that recalls Loren Connors and his fellow countryman Hisato Higuchi.

His second full length CD 'Buried Sky, Spider Torn to Pieces' has just come out on Junzo's own Plunk's Plan label. He also performs with 20 Guilders, Nasca Car, Pouring High Water and Samm Bennett's Ghost Steppers.

"Some of [Suzuki's] convulsive six-string punctuation touches on the ferocious folk-poetry of Kan Mikami but there's also a ton of exquisitely dilated space which Junzo navigates with endless interlocked webs of chiming six-string guitar that's the equal of Christina Carter or Hisato Higuchi. His vocals touch on the more quizzical, breathy style of Keiji Haino and the tracks feel like they plot the vaguest contours of folk-blues logic before piloting deeper into increasingly unanchored explorations of single notes and sudden machine gun retorts isolated in dark, black space."

TWILIT GROTTO
"Heavy electronics from the desk of Mark Dicker (Trencher, Palehorse, Time). Raw oscillators and oscillating roars smash their way through a miasma of modulation. Imagine an screeching urban fox taking an angry shit in a broken and battered reverb tank... There you have it."

Did you go to the Bee Mask show?

blunderbuss 06.17.2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Did you go to the Bee Mask show?

I did - Good, but not quite as great as my imagination had told me it should be. I had been wanting to see him for a good three or four years though, so that was a long time over which to build up excessive expectations.

richterskala 06.22.2013 09:15 AM

hello to uk lads, becuz of that nazoranai show (june 11th) im gonna be in london for the first time for a couple of days. hey can any of you freaks here recommend me some places to hang around, all nite clubs, squats, noise chapels, liquor stores et cetera? squats?

pad_023 06.28.2013 10:29 AM

The London Contemporary Music Festival (LCMF 2013) will run over two long weekends from 25 July to 4 August, at Bold Tendencies, Peckham car park, premiering several new works by composers, young and old, and including music by everyone from Helmut Lachenmann to Charlemagne Palestine, snd to Michael Finnissy, Glenn Branca to Iannis Xenakis.

All events are FREE. But booking is essential. Booking will open Monday 1 July.

http://lcmf.co.uk/

Going to try make it to quite a few of these including the Branca/Charlemagne Palestine + Tony Conrad/Raime + SND/Haswell + Steve Noble shows.

blunderbuss 07.03.2013 04:04 AM

Bill Orcutt + Mike Cooper + Laura Cannell & André Bosman
Cafe OTO
Wednesday 30 October 2013
Tickets : £10 adv / £12 on the door

jimbrim 07.07.2013 09:51 AM

Yard Party
The Yard Theatre
Thursday 15 August 2013 — Saturday 17 August 2013

YARD PARTY is a three day music festival presented by Upset The Rhythm, taking place at Hackney Wick’s tremendous and intrepid Yard Theatre. Focussing on a wide variety of international underground music from folk to noise by way of damaged romantic pop, Yard Party’s intention is to haul the DIY concert out of it’s expected parameters and into ‘interesting pastures new’ to enhance the potency of the music, its effect on the audience and to deconstruct the passive nature of what witnessing live music in 2013 shouldn’t be. YARD PARTY will take place on Thursday 15 August and Friday 16 August from 5pm - midnight, and then on Saturday 17 August from noon - midnight, all-dayer style! and will take place at The Yard Theatre.

http://www.last.fm/festival/3627490+Yard+Party

Will be going to this for sure

pad_023 07.10.2013 09:50 AM

J Spaceman / Kid Millions / Pat Thomas + Date Palms + Plankton Wat at Cafe Oto

Monday 23 September 2013

Tickets are £10

blunderbuss 09.01.2013 12:46 AM

THE GATES OF DELIRIUM presents METAL ROUGE + CHALAQUE + JON COLLIN + DURGA
Servant Jazz Quarters
Thursday 24th October 2013, 7:30pm
£7.00

Metal Rouge is the duo of LA-born Helga Fassonaki and New Zealander Andrew Scott, formed in Auckland, NZ in 2006. After relocating to Los Angeles in 2007 the band switched from earlier Persian instrumentation to pedal and lap steel guitars and the music took on the form of streamlined horizontal psychedelic continuums. Unlike many contemporary musicians coming of out of California, Metal Rouge stand defiantly against meta-new age irony, crafting an intensely personal brand of electrified minimal maximalism at the intersection of New Zealand free noise, NYC loft minimalism and free jazz. Their sets over the last two years have consisted of simple guitar figures strung around drugged minimalist drum pulses interspersed with explosive treble-heavy freeform ragas and fearless outré vocalese. Currently bi-coastal with Andrew in Los Angeles and Helga in New Jersey they continue to throw ideas across the continent, some of which resulted in their new LP 'Soft Erase' out this summer on Emerald Cocoon.
http://emeraldcocoon.com/MetalRouge_home.html

Chalaque is, to all intents and purposes, the solo project of guitar player Nick Mitchell, who currently leads the eight-piece free rock unit Desmadrados Soldados De Ventura and was formerly a member of A Wake and Beach Fuzz. Occasionally augmented by a band (drummer Pascal Nichols and bass player Dylan Hughes most frequently), Nick uses synths or tapes or other instrumentation to forge repetitive cycles around which he develops damaged arpeggios, discords and brain-fryingly extended solos on guitar recalling the creamy dorian style of Kimio Mizutani. A new 7" is out in June on Golden Lab and a cassette on Feathered Coyote is due the same month.
http://chalaque.bandcamp.com/album/helderberg-7

Also on the tour is UK guitar player, head honcho of the wonderful Winebox Press label and member of Serfs and The Whole Voyald, Jon Collin, fresh from his recent coast-to-coast tour of the US. Collin's guitar playing is sparse, contemplative and, when the mood is right, utterly awesome (lookout for an upcoming issue of his recent Albany, NY show for evidence). Inspired by the Loren Mazzacane Connors, Bill Orcutt and John Fahey in equal measure, he fashions a style all his own where overtones ring and space is paramount. His debut vinyl release was just issued on Winebox Press.
http://thewholevoyald.blogspot.co.uk/

Durga is a psych-prog landscapist duo: Berlin school electronics with jazzgazing guitar trails. Modal digressions, faux-Mellotronix, vapour-thin celestial scaffolding and heavy sunburst widescreen vistas.
https://www.facebook.com/durgaprog

http://www.servantjazzquarters.com/e...-collins-durga

Toilet & Bowels 09.01.2013 06:28 PM

I'm quite keen for that Metal Rouge gig. Smegma are playing at Café Oto in October too.

Genteel Death 09.19.2013 06:52 AM

Miles of Smiles very proudly presents...
COMUS (performing 'First Utterance')
SHIRLEY COLLINS (performing 'I'm a Romany Rai')
STEPHANIE HLADOWSKI & C JOYNES
Saturday 21 September 2013
Islington Assembly Hall
http://www.wegottickets.com/event/228385
* * * COMUS * * *
For anyone with an interest in British outsider music, COMUS are amongst the most vivid, intoxicating, threatening and – as yet – unreplicable propositions that these Isles have ever produced. Their rare London appearances are a mesmerising delight – doubly so on this occasion, as they will perform their mesmerising 1971 masterpiece First Utterance in its entirety.
A wild synthesis of British Folk’s visionary extremities (Incredible String Band, Pentangle, Mr Fox et al) and the transatlantic progressive tendency (King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Holy Modal Rounders), they link traditional music’s bloodthirsty seasonal/pagan undercurrents to the spiritual questing of Blake and Milton; they also strongly recall the nightmare pastoralism of contemporaneous films like ‘The Wicker Man’, ‘Witchfinder General’ and ‘Blood on Satan’s Claw’. Accordingly, Comus occupy a unique and disorienting liminal space – between village green and witches’ grotto, pulpit and stone circle, maypole and gallows.
Formed in the late 60s by the core duo of singer Roger Wooton and guitarist Glenn Goring, and offered early patronage by David Bowie at his ‘Growth’ arts lab in Beckenham, Comus released their astonishing debut LP ‘First Utterance’ in 1971. They followed this with ‘To Keep from Crying’ in 1974, before falling dormant.
Reawakened by an invitation to play the 2008 Melloboat ‘rock cruise’ between Stockholm and Riga, and with original members Bobbie Watson, Colin Pearson and Andy Hellaby (plus Jon Seagroatt) still accompanying Goring & Wooton, Comus made their long-awaited return to the London stage at 2009’s Equinox Festival. The band then set themselves to the dual task of both writing new material and reworking their fabled ‘lost’ mid-70s piece ‘The Malgarde Suite’, and the fruits of these endeavours can be enjoyed on last year’s excellent, aptly titled ‘Out of the Coma.’
* * * SHIRLEY COLLINS * * *
SHIRLEY COLLINS is the talismanic figure of post-war English folk song, formerly as the greatest singer of the period and – now – as a sage chronicler, stirring speaker and ceaseless champion of the music’s history and traditions. For this very special show, Shirley and actor Pip Barnes will deliver a rare (and newly updated) performance of 'I’m a Romany Rai', her tale of southern England’s Gypsy songs and singers.
Born in Hastings, East Sussex in 1935 to a family steeped in the county’s singing traditions, Shirley moved to London in the early 50s, falling in with the revivalist network cultivated by Ewan McColl and Peggy Seeger around the Princess Louise pub in Holborn. Through this, she met the American ethnomusicologist Alan Lomax, with whom she embarked upon a field-recording odyssey (and whirlwind romance) across the Southern US; an adventure that included the ‘discovery’ of the great blues guitarist Mississippi Fred McDowell, and which was celebrated in her fascinating, moving memoir 'America Over the Water'.
Returning to England in 1960, Shirley set to the task of building a peerless discography which includes landmark collaborations with Davy Graham, Peter Bellamy, her late sister Dolly, and her former husband, Fairport Convention bassist Ashley Hutchings (in both Morris On and various permutations of The Albion Band). She ceased to sing in the early 80s, but has made occasional contributions to the works of others including Current 93 and – last year – Sigur Ros.
* * * STEPHANIE HLADOWSKI & C JOYNES * * *
STEPHANIE HLADOWSKI & C JOYNES have both made individual appearances for Miles of Smiles in the past, but this will be the first time that we’ve hosted them as a duo. On their LP ‘The Wild, Wild Berry’ the pair reign in the eclecticism and virtuosity of their separate ventures, with a faithfully sparse, solemn selection of ballads from the shelves Cecil Sharp House that feels almost like a spooked, autumnal companion piece to Shirley Collins & Davy Graham’s ‘Folk Roots, New Routes’.
There are marked differences in form, however; whilst Graham’s playing is bright and rapid, with a jazz-inflected snap, Joynes’s guitar is spare and metronomic, the unerring rhythm of a shovel meticulously excavating the heavy bones of these old, often bleak songs. Hladowski’s singing likewise provides a fascinating counterpoint to that venerable touchstone, earthy and direct but also agile and with a curious spectral haze around its resolute core; she summons up a procession of spirits to keep fleeting vigil by the material remains already located by Joynes, breathing gorgeous, tragic life back into these tales of love and loss.
http://www.milesosmiles.co.uk
http://www.twitter.com/milesofsmilesUK
http://www.facebook.com/groups/MilesOfSmilesGigs

Genteel Death 09.19.2013 06:56 AM

FUSHITSUSHA
+ Support
Corsica Studios, 4/5 Elephant Road, London SE17 1LB
Monday 28 October 2013, 8pm
http://www.wegottickets.com/event/238130

Toilet & Bowels 09.19.2013 07:16 PM

Bloody hell, there are too many gigs next month for my wallet to bear.

Acid Mothers Temple - acoustic
Smegma
Metal Rouge
Black Twig Pickers
Nate Young
Bill Orcutt
Paul Metzger
Tenniscoats

pokkeherrie 09.20.2013 07:40 AM

this is looking promising as well for next year:
http://multipletap.com/

Second campaign will start in a few days. I briefly thought about backing the first one, but ended up not doing so. Small chance I might still decide on going later on, but everyone in London should go for sure.

blunderbuss 09.20.2013 03:52 PM

T&B - you appear to have missed Magik Markers.

Toilet & Bowels 09.20.2013 05:20 PM

I think they're playing in November, that gig doesn't have to be covered by the same month's pay as all the ones I mentioned above. Also in October: Borbetomagus.

Toilet & Bowels 09.20.2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
this is looking promising as well for next year:
http://multipletap.com/

Second campaign will start in a few days. I briefly thought about backing the first one, but ended up not doing so. Small chance I might still decide on going later on, but everyone in London should go for sure.

Will go for sure. If you come to London you're welcome to crash at mine, I live 15 mins walk from Cafe Oto now.

pokkeherrie 09.23.2013 05:45 AM

Thanks for the offer, that's very kind.
But right now I have no idea whether I'm going... and if I do I might go with a friend who seemed to be interested yesterday.

Suzuki Junzo is also playing that Borbetomagus gig. Saw him last year in Rotterdam and I'd definitely recommend checking him out.

ilduclo 09.23.2013 08:04 AM

I hope someone tapes /films Junko