Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   shitty singers in indie bands (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13358)

val-holla-ing 05.22.2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
And Thom Yorke has a wicked voice. I would kill to have his voice.

i'm not advocating suicide, but to get a voice as dull and lifeless as thommy, you'd have to be flatlining.

Everyneurotic 05.22.2007 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
there are people who DON'T like isis's vocals?

wow..

i remember reading reviews of in the absense of truth saying how isis finally evolved into an awesome band because aaron was now singing instead of growling...hell, i remember reading about panopticon saying how it was better than oceanic because of the cleaner vocals.

and i love thom yorke, i don't know what you're hearing man, but thom yorke is the most emotional vocalist i have ever heard. and that includes the girl from madredeus.

SynthethicalY 05.22.2007 11:56 PM

I agree Thom Yorke has an awesome voice.

krastian 05.23.2007 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
They seem to have a thing for taking beautiful music and plastering "I'm a demon" shit all over it. Pisses me off no end.

That's exactly how I feel about a lot of metal.......it kind of ruins what would otherwise be fucking awesome music. It's just hard for me to take it serious......move on to different subject matter, ya know?!?

Everyneurotic 05.23.2007 12:25 AM

i have been listening to metal for most of my life and i've never, ever thought of harsh vocals as "oh this is so evil" or as if they were invoking something.

like a lot of grindcore, death and black metal, i think of isis' vocals as another instrument, something more brutal over the guitars.

krastian 05.23.2007 12:45 AM

I meant more in terms of constantly singing about death/Satan (content) and trying to be all "evil" in every single fucking song.....and trust me, I'm all for evil in metal, but it just seems kind of lame to sing about the same thing over and over again in the songs. At some point I just have to draw the line.....it's just too much. Plus, singing about/referring to Satan in every song (to me) is almost as lame as singing about Jesus in every song.

I actually really like the dude from Khanate's "singing."

SonicSam 05.23.2007 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian
I meant more in terms of constantly singing about death/Satan (content) and trying to be all "evil" in every single fucking song.....and trust me, I'm all for evil in metal, but it just seems kind of lame to sing about the same thing over and over again in the songs. At some point I just have to draw the line.....it's just too much. Plus, singing about/referring to Satan in every song (to me) is almost as lame as singing about Jesus in every song.

I actually really like the dude from Khanate's "singing."

You obviously don't listen to much metal do you? Most metal bands Don't actually sing about satan all the time, except for maybe black metal bands. The lyrics are a bit less 1 dimentional. Some metal bands actually write pretty good political lyrics like sacred reich or something.

the ikara cult 05.23.2007 06:38 AM

Every softly hushed acoustic gutless Orange mobile ad about nothing swine who tries to sound like Nick Drake or Elliott Smith should be hung.

sonicl 05.23.2007 06:40 AM

Oh God, you've just reminded me how much Devendra Banhart's voice started to annoy me on the third listen to his first CD.

sarramkrop 05.23.2007 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Every softly hushed acoustic gutless Orange mobile ad about nothing swine who tries to sound like Nick Drake or Elliott Smith should be hung.

Nick Drake's voice and entire attidude is responsable for so much rubbish that gets called music these days. The reason why these singer/songwriters don'tgo to see a person who might help them out is beyond me.

atsonicpark 05.23.2007 08:12 AM

nothing else to add, except that i always thought avery island was better than aeroplane over the sea...

Everyneurotic 05.23.2007 09:58 AM

i hardly listen to metal for the lyrics.

val-holla-ing 05.23.2007 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
that khanate dudes voice is just disgusting. seriously, the worst show ive ever seen. right under the pixies.

did you see the pixies back in '04 at voodoofest? because if we're talking about the same show, then i completely agree. actually, i'd agree anyway because i hate the pixies.

and i don't know if i could handle khanate live. metal fans scare me.

Trasher02 05.23.2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
i'm not advocating suicide, but to get a voice as dull and lifeless as thommy, you'd have to be flatlining.

Thom is a great singer.
Period.

pbradley 05.23.2007 12:50 PM

I can't listen to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" because of Cobain's vocals. But other times I dig his vocals like on "Sappy."

val-holla-ing 05.23.2007 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trasher02
Thom is a great singer.
Period.

no. his voice moves like a worm.

Trasher02 05.23.2007 02:04 PM

Are you kidding? He has one of the clearest voices I've ever heared!

atsonicpark 05.23.2007 10:08 PM

thom yorke is awesome.

but if you don't like the pixies, maybe you just don't understand music.

val-holla-ing 05.23.2007 10:27 PM

or maybe my ear matured past 1994?

atsonicpark 05.23.2007 10:39 PM

my ears have matured since '94, too, and it's not i listen to them anymore, but even i can admit that they were amazing.

they wrote some of the best songs of all time. frank black sounded different on every song they recorded. he's a songwriting genius. the way him and kim's voices clashes on certain songs was amazing. yada yada yada. i envy anyone who is listening to their entire discography for the first time. so many classics.

val-holla-ing 05.23.2007 10:48 PM

i guess i just don't "get it". they're one of my least favorite bands of forever.

pbradley 05.23.2007 11:01 PM

that's really the Pixies m.o., you first get into them and they're amazing. catchy pop tunes that are just slightly bent in some fucked up way (Black's shrill screams, Santiago's desperate guitar style, et all)

and then they become old hat. rather quickly compared to some other bands. still great, but that mystery is gone

pbradley 05.23.2007 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
i guess i just don't "get it". they're one of my least favorite bands of forever.

how much did you hear about them before listening to them, I've known several people that never got into the Pixies because the buzz was too much

jimbrim 05.24.2007 04:03 AM

Another shitty singer is the guy from Leatherface, hes awful. But it does suit their 'fuck you' style i suppose.

SonicSam 05.24.2007 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbrim
Another shitty singer is the guy from Leatherface, hes awful. But it does suit their 'fuck you' style i suppose.

you should hear his side project band jessie, his singing in that band is great. even in leatherface his voice is awesome I reckon - really emotional.

jimbrim 05.24.2007 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicSam
you should hear his side project band jessie, his singing in that band is great. even in leatherface his voice is awesome I reckon - really emotional.

Cool, i'll check that side project out. Don't get me wrong, i do like Leatherface, it's just on some tracks his vocal's can come across a bit too rough for my liking, but as you said it does contribute to the emotional intensity.

SonicSam 05.24.2007 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbrim
Cool, i'll check that side project out. Don't get me wrong, i do like Leatherface, it's just on some tracks his vocal's can come across a bit too rough for my liking, but as you said it does contribute to the emotional intensity.

While you're at it check out his band pope, they released one of my favourite records ever, it's out of print, but I think they rereleased it on CD, if you get the chance buy it! I do see what you mean about his vocals, but I like it rough!

jimbrim 05.24.2007 07:59 AM

I have heard of 'pope' before, but never got round to listening to them. I'll check them out for sure now. cheers.

the ikara cult 05.24.2007 08:02 AM

I dont like Pete Doherty or Carl Barats voices but i do like their songs and (some of) Petes lyrics.

Everyneurotic 05.24.2007 09:15 AM

i only listen to the pixies once a year and that's enough to hear how awesome they are.

but they are definitely a pop band.

and shitty singers? mark arm, for sure. dude had awesome attitude and he could carry himself on some tunes but overall all...it also might not help that everyone started copying his half assed voice.