Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Murray Street Vs Sonic Nurse Vs Rather Ripped (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13191)

k-krack 05.21.2007 01:36 AM

As of late, Nurses has taken the lead....
Wait... have I posted here like, thirty times already?

Rob Instigator 05.21.2007 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
rather ripped off is how i felt.

for downloading it.

maybe if you had waited and bought it like a true fan would.....

atsonicpark 05.22.2007 01:14 AM

yes, i'm not a true fan since i didn't buy a shitty record.

lisayoung 05.22.2007 07:56 AM

well i love nurse a lot

finding nobody 05.23.2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

yes, i'm not a true fan since i didn't buy a shitty record.

You sir, are a Godamn downer

I voted Murray Street, I love all three of those records though.

syntax-free 05.23.2007 06:14 PM

i actually really like rather ripped

k-krack 05.23.2007 06:18 PM

It's nice to see something other than negativity towards RR. I like it. Not one of my favourites, of course, but it's a good album. Rep, syntax.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.23.2007 06:28 PM

People who dislike this record want to compare it to their 80's album, which is damned rubbish.
I like it too.
But I must admitt I prefer Nurse, there's more freakout, impro, dissonance,...

SynthethicalY 05.23.2007 07:02 PM

I think you are right, RR is held to the standard of DN. But I think it is a classic in its own way.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.23.2007 07:08 PM

Yeah, most of the songs are very catchy, more direct than usually, but it sounds good, especially live versions.

SynthethicalY 05.23.2007 07:09 PM

I consider RR a pop album, and I think it made sense of them going this direction. It is them experimenting on a different version.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.23.2007 07:14 PM

I agree with that, it's real good pop album. Very coherent, consistent.

timtimtim 05.23.2007 11:20 PM

I don't consider rather ripped a pop album. I might consider it to be a pop album by sonic youth standards maybe but really dirty and Goo I thought were poppier than rather ripped. I'm surprised that RR has so many votes. I think it's a pretty good album but it has been bashed a lot.

el duderino 05.24.2007 02:22 AM

Sonic Nurse for the win - i love the kind of nostalgic vibe i get from it - particularly from Peace Attack, Golden Blue and Unmade Bed

Then rather ripped

Murray Street is rather meh until Karenology, then it picks up its game

Rob Instigator 05.24.2007 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el duderino
Sonic Nurse for the win - i love the kind of nostalgic vibe i get from it - particularly from Peace Attack, Golden Blue and Unmade Bed

Then rather ripped

Murray Street is rather meh until Karenology, then it picks up its game

I agree with el duderino!

Murray street is wonderful for hazy days spent in half slumber or drugged out fuzz, but as a whole it is a bit un fulfilling. I dig nurse so muhc. it is perfect to me, even in peace attack mode, altghoug the album would ahve been KILLER without peace attack

rather ripped keeps me coming home again.

prijateljice 05.31.2007 08:14 AM

rather ripped kix ass!

but, nevertheless, washing machine would be my personal nr. 1

Bicorn Halfelven 05.31.2007 04:03 PM

I think I had expected Rather Ripped to sound like the previous two records, and was a bit put off on the first listen or two.

After putting it away for a while and coming back to it, I like it a lot more.

Not one of my favorites, but enjoyable in it's own right.

Androol 05.31.2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

everyone who i know who has any intelligence thinks rather ripped sucks dick.

every kim song on there is flawless. whats your problem with any of those?

Green Magnesium 06.01.2007 08:15 PM

Kim's are flawless, and Thursty's are the exact opposite unfortunately :(

Androol 06.01.2007 09:58 PM

cmon not all of the though. sleeping around does have some uh "awkward" moments :)

weltact 06.02.2007 01:10 AM

sonic nurse definitely. not only the best of these, but the best sonic youth album ever. rather ripped 2nd, nice but they can do that kind of album in their sleep. murray street 3rd, something wrong with the vocals there, making songs not really memorable.

Androol 06.02.2007 01:54 AM

the lyrics on the chorus for pattern recognition bother me too much. i fell like im listening to you got the touch. i still really love this song a lot though.

snare_boy 06.04.2007 09:05 AM

Shma israel, my rating of the albums are the exact opposite of the total votes!

dazedcola 07.13.2007 08:05 PM

I was looking for this thread becuz its a great topic an di didnt get to respond when it was initially around.

I vote
1. Sonic Nurse
2.Murray Street
3.Rather Ripped

Sonic Nurse is really the best record theyve done since washing machine, great songwriting with some great noise injected into the songs. Murray Street is goodbut can be a tad too mellow at times. Rather Ripped I felt was only half a good record.

Disgruntled Youth 07.18.2007 06:09 PM

RR
SN
MS

Sorry RR has alot more fonder memories plus my ex who wast into SY had to pick up the album because of me!!!

contrelefuckingsexisme 07.19.2007 07:15 PM

1-nurse
2-murray st.
3-rather ripped

Sonic Youth 37 07.19.2007 07:37 PM

Murray Street, hands down.

Mildred Pierce 07.19.2007 09:56 PM

Diffecult man,
It suprises me that many people rank murray street as third, to me the first two song empty page and disconection notice in particular are my favorite songs but to be honest I like them all the same, maybe Sonic Nurse indeed if I had to choose one but... I just cannot choose

lovesonicevol 07.21.2007 07:11 PM

I dont think any of those albums suck cock or whatever the put-downs are for RR or even Murray Street?! Sonic Nurse is barely the winner, but it is the best in my opinion. From the Richard Prince artwork to the ending Peace Attack, brilliance. Aesthetic, sounds and all, it's a real killer on the art block. The only reason I think RR is slightly lacking (nothing to ruin it for me) is the obvious absense of mr. o'rourke. Less noisy but more killer tracks. final notes: Murray Street is one motherfucking memorable record!

lovesonicevol 07.21.2007 07:13 PM

...NYC GHOSTS AND FLOWERS is my real favorite, though.

syntax-free 08.31.2007 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
It's nice to see something other than negativity towards RR. I like it. Not one of my favourites, of course, but it's a good album. Rep, syntax.

yeah it's not the best obviously... most people resent 'new' stuff but they have gotten older and a bit more mellow.. and they are known to change their style alot so... yea.

jetengine 08.31.2007 11:47 PM

Rather Ripped is a rock 'n' roll album--like Dirty. It succeeds at being what it was meant to be: catchy and tuneful rock 'n' roll, and contains all very memorable numbers. Don't say you like The Stooges, MC5, original Alice Cooper, etc. if you don't like Rather Ripped--especially "Sleepin' Around", which reeks of "No Fun".

Having said that, Murray St. and Sonic Nurse certainly have their moments as well, but in a very different manner. Comparing Rather Ripped to these two records is like comparing Dirty or Goo to Sister and Daydream Nation--not exactly apples and oranges, but at least apples and pears, or oranges and tangerines.